Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4L60E is out and 4L80E about to go in.

Fuel Injected!

4L60E is out and 4L80E about to go in.

The Express lost its 4L60E this morning and the resealed 4L80E is about to find its way in.

Fuel Injected!
    Cool. Pics?
    '86 Grand National

Administrator
    80E's live to 300k in our fleet. 60Es are no longer allowed to try. ;)

Super Moderator
    WIN

does your current PCM/TCM support a 4L80E(specifically that the 60 didn't have an input shaft speed sensor and the 80 does)?

i still don't know how GM did reliable adapt functions without it.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    I have pics, but none loaded on the net yet. I'll try to load them tomorrow. I have the transmission bolted to the engine, but am needing more parts. Need a 2500 or moded crossmember, I thought my stock one was going to work but it didn't work out. I plan to pickup a 2500 driveshaft too, my stock one was too long. After flushing my cooler I was able to tweak one cooler line and it snapped right into place, the other is needing serious modification and I am tempted to add the oem auxiliary on the driverside to keep the 4.3 stalled 80e cool. I swapped the flexplate for a new napa one for a 4L80E and bolted all six converter bolts up. I am also going to pickup an engine oil cooler adapter and bracketry. I installed a 1-ton radiator with the oil cooler in the driverside tank. I am going to have to install a 4L80E specific shift cable as the stock one is about 2" too short. The transmission was a real battle to remove and install laying on my back in the driveway but its bolted in. My 350 block and 4L80E bellhousing was tapped for the 7th bellhousing bolt so I installed it too. I had a whole 98 C2500 pickup harness I got with an L31 I bought years ago and robbed the whole ISS twisted pair and connector complete with pcm pins and the 11-pin trans connecter pigtail. I am in the process of modifying the harness. The PCM is an 0411 and they came factory in a 2001-2002 Express with the L31 and 4L80E. Thinking of emailing HP Tuners for a segment swap if I can find a 2002 L31 4L80E HP Tuners file to rob the trans segment from.

I hope my 4L60E hate humor is acceptable here. 4L80e appears to be in great shape internally and very clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-19-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Won't HPTuner open a .bin? Here it is just in case.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    I am tempted to add the oem auxiliary on the driverside to keep the 4.3 stalled 80e cool.
    The OEM cooler is spendy and only connects to those "almost" fuel line quick connects that GM likes for transmissions. Around here the trans lines rust away and the cooler ends up as junk anyway. So we grab one from Advance and rivet it to the OEM brackets and run corrosion-proof rubber hose under the radiator to the aux cooler. Part no 243012.

Dorman sells replacement cooler lines that fit a vehicle with 80E and aux cooler for less than GM. I can get part nos if interested. We've switched many of our vehicles to inverted flare fittings and of course, the hose out in front. We make the lines from scratch. This is because the supply of lines from OE and aftermarket has been inconsistent over the years. I can dig out part nos for the trans fittings we use if desired.

4L60E hate humor? I've been working on that trans since the first days when they'd puke front seals and burn up pumps as you tried to drive it out of the shop. No matter how good they get now, they're always going to be junk to me.

Some van shift cables are two parts, upper and lower. Upper may be same for both trannies. I believe that started in '03 for the one tons but maybe the smaller vans started earlier.

I have multiple 80E van cals including 2002 Cali and Federal versions. I'll try to upload the '02 versions today. I believe TC does segment swaps although I wouldn't guarantee it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    The OEM cooler is spendy and only connects to those "almost" fuel line quick connects that GM likes for transmissions. Around here the trans lines rust away and the cooler ends up as junk anyway. So we grab one from Advance and rivet it to the OEM brackets and run corrosion-proof rubber hose under the radiator to the aux cooler. Part no 243012.

Dorman sells replacement cooler lines that fit a vehicle with 80E and aux cooler for less than GM. I can get part nos if interested. We've switched many of our vehicles to inverted flare fittings and of course, the hose out in front. We make the lines from scratch. This is because the supply of lines from OE and aftermarket has been inconsistent over the years. I can dig out part nos for the trans fittings we use if desired.

4L60E hate humor? I've been working on that trans since the first days when they'd puke front seals and burn up pumps as you tried to drive it out of the shop. No matter how good they get now, they're always going to be junk to me.

Some van shift cables are two parts, upper and lower. Upper may be same for both trannies. I believe that started in '03 for the one tons but maybe the smaller vans started earlier.

I have multiple 80E van cals including 2002 Cali and Federal versions. I'll try to upload the '02 versions today. I believe TC does segment swaps although I wouldn't guarantee it.
    Thanks for the heads up on the cooler.

The 97 appears to have 2 shift cable part numbers for a 350. One for a 60e and the other for an 80e.

With the absence of winter salt our rubber hoses break down in the extreme heat and fail long before the metal lines corrode.

The dormain lines are the ones I was going to use and I was going to find a used oem cooler and flush it out real well.

I have tried to open a .bin with HP Tuners and it is not a valid file type. I definately don't want to start with the california junk, but would appreciate a 2002 Federal 5.7/4L80E calibration read.

Funny thing the transmission dipstick tube was how you mentioned, two pieces with the lower half being different. I need to research the part number on the actual dipstick.

Yea I never have understood why GM chose to strangle their 5.7 with tuning trying to keep that POS 4L60E alive rather than just upgrading their trucks to a 4L80e.
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Administrator
    Part no for lower tube is 15004204. We keep a couple in stock because they get rusty.

My files are Tunercat .cal files. Can probably convert to .bin but not to .hpt.

Old work laptop not logging onto network. IT probably made changes since last used. If no copies of cals on laptop at home I'll post tomorrow.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Part no for lower tube is 15004204. We keep a couple in stock because they get rusty.

My files are Tunercat .cal files. Can probably convert to .bin but not to .hpt.

Old work laptop not logging onto network. IT probably made changes since last used. If no copies of cals on laptop at home I'll post tomorrow.
    Thanks for the part number. Luckily my 4L80E came with one included.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    The transmission was a real battle to remove and install laying on my back in the driveway but its bolted in.
    At 265lbs (4L80e) I bet it was. I used a 2x12 run from one side to the other and just lifted each side and put blocks under it until it was in place. Best way I could figure to do it in gravel.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Administrator
    Part no for dipstick is 15020600. GM Speak calls it an "INDICATOR,TRANS FLUID LVL." which has been tough for the parts guys to find in the past.
    http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/p/_.../15020600.html

No cals at home. I believe IT comes in around 8-ish.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    At 265lbs (4L80e) I bet it was. I used a 2x12 run from one side to the other and just lifted each side and put blocks under it until it was in place. Best way I could figure to do it in gravel.
    I have a concrete driveway and a trans jack, but the trans on the jack wouldnt clear the crossmember. So I had to use 2x4 as skids and levers to get it up on the jack. Had my little brother give me a hand.

Having the driveshaft shortened 1.5" today and rebalanced. I had to buy an expensive slip yoke specific to a bolt on yoke style 4L80E. Will have to use a conversion u-joint as well and plan to get solid USA made spicer joints on each end.. Picked up a pair of 4" x 1/4" x 12" pieces of flat stock to modify my crossmember.

Almost done with the harness modificatioms as well but ran out of time.

4L80E shift cable should be here today and that only leaves the rear cooler line and pcm tune.
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-20-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Its back! Cut down to 70.5", new custom yoke, Spicer solid U-joints and a balance. Ready to go in tonight.

Shift cable came in too.

Might work on the wiring tonight too just depends on how much of a pain the shift cable becomes.
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-21-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Its back! Cut down to 70.5", new custom yoke, Spicer solid U-joints and a balance. Ready to go in tonight.

Shift cable came in too.

Might work on the wiring tonight too just depends on how much of a pain the shift cable becomes.
    Driveshaft ended up being the wrong length..

But the shift cable is installed and working on the wiring. Only getting an hour or so a night in on it. Got the park/neutral switch connected with help of a heat gun and adjusted and it cranks over.

In the process of adding the iss and 4l80e pigtail I have from a 98 C2500