Thread: 4L60E is out and 4L80E about to go in.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fuel Injected!
    Wiring is done!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Test drove it today, must say I really like the way it drives, even on the stock shift points and TCC settings. The converter clutch is a bit weird in the way the stock tables control it, but it operates fairly smoothly, save for the firm upshifts and downshifts.

I was going to play with the shift points and TCC some, but as I ventured a little further from home, I saw a massive smoke screen form behind me, got pulled over and found that the front pump seal had failed/pushed out, not sure yet. Not sure what caused that because it was a new Felpro seal that I seated the same way I have seated every other seal. I had to call out a wrecker to pick it up. I am done at this point, I sent it to a local shop I deal with to R&R the trans and replace the seal. Its all swapped over now and I am tired of laying on the concrete on my back. This swap has fought me the entire way. They will start on it Tuesday morning.

With the B82 converter it is suprisingly torquey from a stop, but as soon as it starts to couple well in the 2,500 rpm range, you get that 1-ton Van feel. Kick it too the floor and it will wind up to about 45 mph in 1st, go into 2nd and keep right on pulling up to about 85 mph in 2nd.
    Last edited by Fast355; 08-31-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I became bored today and cleaned up my $8.00 oil cooler adapter and brackets I scored from a light duty 3/4 ton van with a Vorte 305. Then I hooked my new Dorman oil cooler lines to the adapter after changing the O-rings in the fittings. They come right out with a pick and Ace Hardware carries the exact replacement. Beats $10 a quick connect. When I get it back this week I will install the cooler and lines as well as change the oil and filter.

I am thinking of going back to the wrecking yard next weekend and scooping up the upper and lower control arms, spindles, front caliper brackets and calipers from the van. It is a light duty 2500 with larger front rotors, larger caliper pistons, larger wheel bearings and 6 lug rotors. I will rebuild them all with polyurethane bushings, new balljoints, reseal the calipers and mount them on with new shocks and 3/4 ton front springs. Followed by a 6 lug, 4.10 geared disc brake rear-end from an 03+.

I can hardly wait to get it back and finish the project by tuning the shift points, removing some tq management and eliminating wot tcc lockup.

Fuel Injected!
    So I got it back this afternoon and had a chance to datalog a little with HP Tuners. For being a stock transmission tune with the stock spark maps and stock torque management in place its actually running well for the summer heat. Even at 10:00 P.M it was more than 90°F and 3,000 ft density altitude. I plan to get it dialed in as nicely as my old 60e setup soon. Only wish I had gone with 4.30 or 4.56 gears now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CqkRkABKk4

Fuel Injected!
    I messed with the tune and have it now driving much better than the horrible, near undriveable stock tune. All the WOT torque converter lockup settings are gone and it has a very progressive shift speed and lockup table that makes it shift and behave much more 4L60E like. Brought back in some timing and only left 15% torque reduction at WOT rather than the 25-30% stock. Knocked nearly 4 seconds off the 0-80!!!! Glad I found my power again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTXqMCkF34

Fuel Injected!
    My a/c manifold hose developed a leak at the rear of the block where the aluminum tubing actually started tearing way from the manifold assembly. Got that replaced. Installed my oil cooler adapter and lines. Cleaned up my 0411 swap wiring. Played with the calibration a fair amount as well. Also got a line on a L31 Marine intake and dug out my set of now discountinued Doug Thorley Express van headers. I should be up around 425-450 ft/lbs of torque and 375 HP when I am done. I also brake stall tested the B82 converter behind my lightly cammed L31 5.7 and found it stalled just under 2,150 rpm with the drivetrain fully heat soaked and it was difficult to keep the right rear tire from spinning. With cooler IATs it flash stalls 2,300-2,400 rpm. I have a GM 9.5" ring gear corporate 14 bolt to fix the one wheel peel. As it is its not running too badly, runs 0-60 in 8 seconds, about 1 second slower than a 2000 C1500 4.8/4L60E/3.42 geared RCSB truck with a CAI, Headers, and Catless exhaust that I tuned the other day. When the weather cools off and the other parts find their way on, it should run well into the 7s 0-60 range, maybe even touch a high 6 second 0-60.
    Last edited by Fast355; 09-16-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    Unwrapped my Doug Thorleys and scrutinized every inch for flaws or defects and pictures do not give thes headers justice. They are quite simply works of art.