Thread: 16168625 BHAN modifications for TBI to TPI conversion questions>>

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

16168625 BHAN modifications for TBI to TPI conversion questions>>

Finally getting around to my TBI to TPI swap in my 93 K1500 (383motor) 4x4 – 4L60E
    16168625 PCM.

BHAS AND BHAM are the two stock bins I have to work with. UsingBHAN at the moment. The OEM PCM is BHAS. I haven't pulled the chip to read it yet, however I have been running the BHAN (spare PCM) in the 383 with stock TBI and some bin tweaks for the 383 for a couple years with no issues at all.

I noticed these two bins are not listed in the sticky http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-E6

If anyone wants the stock BHAN, I can post it.
    The BHAS I haven't read out yet, but will if anyone wants it.

Using TunerPro V5, $e6 file definition, and XDF E6_TPV5_v250.
    I am more familiar with TunerCat, but their $e6 file definition is lacking injector offset settings.

I have a couple questions about PCM modifications.

1- I have read here and other places the peak n hold resistors have to be bypassed or shorted. I am OK with that. Just solder in awire across the individual resistors?

2- Also read about a memcal modification to get the injectors to fire every 4th distributor pulse. Isn't this for the v-6 4.3 PCM ?
    My PCM is already a v-8, and the injector timing firing should be OK as it is? It should be already firing alternating inj-1 then inj-2every 4th pulse, correct?

3-In modifying the bin for the new injectors, I understand the injector voltage offsets, and have made those changes for my 24lb. injectors. FMS M-9593-LU24A.

A - Question is how to calculate the changes for Crank BPW vs Temp?

B – How to set BPW multiplier vs fuel pump voltage?

C – What is, and how to set “ASYNC short BPW offset vs BPW?

Any other fields to change for my initial start up?

I know there will be many tuning tweaks to get it running efficiently, and I look forward to these. And learning as I go!!

Wonder why there is no MAT sensing devise in this system? How is this calculated?

Wonder why the GM TPI bank fire is 1357, and 2468, when the TBI intake is segmented to feed 1467, 2358, for inj-1 and inj-2 ?

Thank you!

Keith
    NE Tennessee

Most of the setup can be answer with the documents in the zip folder here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ull=1#post2855

Look around the above thread for MAT installation.

As far as the jumper memcal we have some threads here talking about how it is not needed when the bin is changed, check CFI?MPFI bitmak. I running one without and others say it is needed... so?

You may be able to start with an $0D bin in your PCM, just make sure it is same year as your truck/transmission. There are changes from 94 to 95.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

From what I understand all TBI systems (in the same ECM) have the same hardware resistance, and cyl number is set in the bin only.

When going to MPFI, there are different resistances based on cyl count, that set the injector firing scheme.

TBI fires twice as often as MPFI and this hardware change makes that work with MPFI. Anytime I've tried to run a TBI ECM on MPFI without a change a such would not run correctly.

In reality the MPFI firing is 12345678. All injectors fire at the same time, at least when using ECMs original to MPFI. I haven't verified if this changes when using an MPFI converted PCM, such as the '7427 using $OD.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    From what I understand all TBI systems (in the same ECM) have the same hardware resistance, and cyl number is set in the bin only.

I do have a 3rd 16168625 PCM that came without a memcal/chip. So plugging in my memcal should give me another usable PCM to "play" with?

When going to MPFI, there are different resistances based on cyl count, that set the injector firing scheme.

Not sure I follow this (I am new to this kind of tuning, making one PCM work for different system than originally designed).
    Is this why the low impedance injector peak and hold resistors need to be bypassed for 8 high impedance saturated injectors?

TBI fires twice as often as MPFI and this hardware change makes that work with MPFI. Anytime I've tried to run a TBI ECM on MPFI without a change a such would not run correctly.

Does setting the Flag/Switch to "set" accomplish this? Or is the wire bypass needed still on the memcal?

In reality the MPFI firing is 12345678. All injectors fire at the same time, at least when using ECMs original to MPFI. I haven't verified if this changes when using an MPFI converted PCM, such as the '7427 using $OD.
    So having Bank-1 and Bank-2 wiring really just splits the circuit load on the 2 injector drivers?

Thank you for your help!
    I will get this figured out. I'm in for a penny in for a pound at this point!

Thank you,
    Keith

In most non SFI OEM MPFI applications from GM, the ECM only had one injector driver. The only exception I can think of is the Turbo Sunbird, Turbo Grand Am, Sy/Ty and a Quad 4 application (Beretta?), that used the '7749, that has two injector drivers, but in saturated mode (Sy/Ty for sure), only one driver was used. in Peak and Hold mode (Sunbird and Grand Am), both injector drivers were used.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    In most non SFI OEM MPFI applications from GM, the ECM only had one injector driver. The only exception I can think of is the Turbo Sunbird, Turbo Grand Am, Sy/Ty and a Quad 4 application (Beretta?), that used the '7749, that has two injector drivers, but in saturated mode (Sy/Ty for sure), only one driver was used. in Peak and Hold mode (Sunbird and Grand Am), both injector drivers were used.
    So inside the PCM there is only one driver for my 16168625 PCM. Then the control circuit for this driver must split inside and come out via two pins labeled "TBI A driver" coming out on pin A-16, and "TBI-B driver coming out on pin A-9. Or am I still lost?

Must be for some kind of LHM, in the event of one injector failing?

Thank you, I'm learning here!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Most of the setup can be answer with the documents in the zip folder here:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ull=1#post2855

Look around the above thread for MAT installation.

As far as the jumper memcal we have some threads here talking about how it is not needed when the bin is changed, check CFI?MPFI bitmak. I running one without and others say it is needed... so?

You may be able to start with an $0D bin in your PCM, just make sure it is same year as your truck/transmission. There are changes from 94 to 95.
    Thank you for the link. The flag/switch settings are a great help, Thank you!

My truck is a 1993 K1500 4x4.

As for the $0D bins, I am unsure about using them. I know that in searching information out I have seen a lot more tweaks for these rather than the $E6 bin, my two PCM's came loaded with. The original PCM and a spare that I am "experimenting" with.

Is this the reason for switching to $0D bins, being more hacks out there to compare data? Or better bin parameters, changes available? I have not looked at an $0D file yet.
    I wanted to try and keep my $E6 that I read out of my stock OEM pcm. As I have made no other trans gear changes or the like, Just the rebuild on the motor to a 383, and the use of a factory stock Camaro TPI intake setup. But if switching to the $0D is the way to go, I'll hunt one down.

Thank you! I appreciate the help!

Keith