Thread: Book Review:How to Use and Upgrade to GM Gen III LS-Series Powertrain Control Systems

Book Review:How to Use and Upgrade to GM Gen III LS-Series Powertrain Control Systems

GM_GenIII_LS-Series_Book_Cover.jpg

Just got one and have not read the entire book. But just skimming through it? Loads of useful information!!!

Additional Details:
    Mike Noonan (owner of EFI Connection, LLC) covers common questions related to the use of GM Gen III LS-Series PCMs. This book will help enthusiasts navigate through the variety of GM electronics to bring LS-Series fuel management to popular V6 and V8 Chevy engines. Topics include crank/cam signals, compatible ignition systems, tuning software and equipment, sensor compatibilities, PCM inputs/outputs, firing order concerns, electronic throttle control, cruise control, transmission selection, and more! Several conversions are covered in detail including 24x LT1, 24x Ram Jet 502, and a stout 4.3L GMC Syclone engine LS-Series PCM conversion.
    http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...px?ItemId=1240

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I saw yall talking about that book in another thread. I may have to pick up a copy when the affordable LS flash tool is released.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

I've been letting an Amazon gift card collect dust, so the dust is gone and the book is on it's way to me. BTW Amazon ships very quickly, and does not have a minimum $$ for orders.

dave w

I think I found an error in the book. I think the description of Fuel Pump Control is correct on page 57. I think the Fuel Pump Control Schematic on page 58 is Not Correct.

Page 57 states, the fuel pump relay coil is grounded and 12 volts is applied to the fuel pump relay from the PCM. Page 58 shows the fuel pump relay is supplied with 12 volts all the time, which is Not Correct.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Good eye ... you are correct.

The written description is correct. The lower portion of the diagram is incorrect.

The low power side of the relay is always grounded. The PCM supplies voltage (12 volts) to the low power side of the relay to activate the high power side of the relay. The input of the high power side of the relay is always "hot" (battery feed), and the relay high power output to the fuel pump is only "hot" when the PCM energizes the relay.

Fuel Injected!
    Its a good book, great for all readers, not overwhelming IMO, anyone interested in these PCM's and CNP should pick it up.

peace
    Hog

Fuel Injected!
    Just ordered mine direct from site,love a good book and a cup o' tea on the porch.
    Wonder if he'll autograph it for me,i've only got a few autographed books-be awesome to have one from someone i've actually interacted with online before.

Oh,and when ordering from the site there is a $25 minimum order but when you get to checkout they throw in a nickel "handling" charge to bring the 24.95 up to the minimum.
    There was a note mentioning it won't ship till between oct3 and oct7,not sure what that's about but didn't care about ship time so wasn't worried.
    Last edited by Playtoy_18; 09-30-2013 at 10:17 AM.