Thread: Hi Everyone

Carb and Points!

Cool Hi Everyone

Been reading and thought it was time to join in. Lot's of good information I am finding.

Looking to build / buy a 1227730 or a 122774 to run a 8 injector plate on a 6-71 blower. Do not need timing just fuel and the rest. Need to be able to connect to the laptop of course and adjust as needed.
    So if anyone has a spot I should start or have done it themselves please let me know.

cheers

M;)

That's not an easy one to set up properly. Need to think ECM/PCM that will handle boost.

Dynamic EFI may be right for you! Tell Rbob we sent you there.
    http://www.dynamicefi.com/

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    interesting. a 7730 could run 8F and handle up to about 15PSI. could also use code59 and run up to about 30.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

I've never understood why people want to run only fuel OR ignition from an ECM...

Since the RPM signal that is needed is easiest created by using an ignition control module, why not add the extra 3 wires and full ignition control as well?

Robert, what about $58? Kinda skipped right over one there.

I'm currently running $58, too get more in "tune" with it, but I think I will be going back to $59 with some fresh ideas on how to get around an issue I was having.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Super Moderator
    because from what i understand/remember, there were some quirks in $58 that were fixed in $59.

not that i have any evidence of such a thing happening or $58 having any code-based problems in the first place, but knowing what GM did back then, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I've never understood why people want to run only fuel OR ignition from an ECM...

Since the RPM signal that is needed is easiest created by using an ignition control module, why not add the extra 3 wires and full ignition control as well?
    I agree. Must have missed that or thought he had timing retard already set up for boost and not planning on using a boost mask?

But yes, do it all, fuel and spark from one ECM programming.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    because from what i understand/remember, there were some quirks in $58 that were fixed in $59.

not that i have any evidence of such a thing happening or $58 having any code-based problems in the first place, but knowing what GM did back then, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
    The only quirk I know of with $58 is connection to the ALDL port can be problematic, especially when using an AutoProm. There is a patch for that though, it's in the $58 thread. I applied the patch manually previously and it worked. I plan to do it to my current $58 and see if it helps there. I'm not using an AutoProm in my car, but the connection time should be reduced.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I agree. Must have missed that or thought he had timing retard already set up for boost and not planning on using a boost mask?
    correct. I already have that covered. Fuel and monitoring / logging of the system is what I am after. This is a roots blower by the way not a turbo.

is there a way to setup and just monitor without fuel ? Kind of a data logger so to speak. Reason is simple I want to start learning and I am running a carb the first round until the plate system is finished. Another guy did this with a MS system as well to log the engines vitals and get some basic info for his transition to the EFI system. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tica90 View Post
    correct. I already have that covered. Fuel and monitoring / logging of the system is what I am after. This is a roots blower by the way not a turbo.
    Turbo or SC, both will work and benefit from a mask that will support reading positive intake pressure to adjust accordingly.

Thoughts?
    Pointless, well nearly pointless. While you will see some numbers on the screen they will be pretty much meaningless until the ECM is actually control things. About the only things that will be able to be logged without actually having the ECM do anything that will be of use is the O2 sensor, MAP sensor, TPS, and RPM, if you take the time to make these inputs work without installing the rest of the system.

The use of a WBO2 should be strongly considered that can be used without the ECM, RPM can seen on a tach, or logged through certain WBO2 sensor systems, along with other inputs that would be more worthwhile in my opinion.

Any display of pulse width or timing will be useless since it won't be what the engine is actually seeing, and many other loggable items will not be accurate in slightest until the ECM is actually controlling the engine.

Super Moderator
    knock sensor may be of some use?

then again, a really loud blower will tickle that sensor in all of the wrong ways.

Quote Originally Posted by tica90 View Post
    is there a way to setup and just monitor without fuel ? Kind of a data logger so to speak. Reason is simple I want to start learning and I am running a carb the first round until the plate system is finished. Another guy did this with a MS system as well to log the engines vitals and get some basic info for his transition to the EFI system. Thoughts?
    Other then a cool trick? Not much to help... the important stuff like fuel Injector Duty Cycle and spark advance won't work without the rest of the system.

One bit of data you should have an is not part of an ECM is a wide band O2 sensor. Going lean in boost sucks.

-= =-