Thread: ADX problem...Autoprom not scanning

Carb and Points!

ADX problem...Autoprom not scanning

long time reader, but first time posting.
    ok...heres some background. I have a Jeep 258 (4.2L) with a DIY TBI from a 90 Astrovan. It's been months, but I finally got it all together, got it running with the astrovan ECM. It ran terrible. Then I changed the ECM to a 7747 with a G2 and APU1. Also an Innovate WB o2 sensor and gauge. It starts easy but runs rough for about a minute, then runs really bad, I think rich. Fuel pressure is 11.5#, timing is happy at around 10 degrees. I can emulate using the bin below, but I cannot seem to get any data from the ALDL. The APU1 says its connected but the info doesn't change from zero on my dashboard. Nothing is being recorded either. Is my ADX wrong? configured wrong? I've attached all the files I'm using as well as my first datalog.

If I can see what the engine is doing then I can take a stab at fixing it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It soundslike Limp Home Mode?

What does Check Engine Light do when key on, no start? It should come on, blink and stay on till engine is started. When running it should go off. If not you have not got the AutoProm uploaded properly. Open TP, open bin, xdf and adx. AutoProm ribbon cable to G2 adapter, Upload bin, verify, emulate and the CEL should be correct.

Use these files, they have more work done, the ones you have are fine but are only different for the Turbo 400 trans.

$42-1227747-V5.2.adx
    $42-1227747-V5.9.3.xdf

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Thank you for the reply.

I'm pretty sure it is connected correctly because at key on I get the "on, 1 blink and then stay on until its started".

Thank you for the updated files. I will try them soon. Before I get too into the tuning I think it is important to chase down any problems with the setup. For instance I was screwing around with different Bins and timing and at one time I had the CEL on when running. I did the paperclip jumper on the aldl and it gave me a 42 and a 45 code. 45 is a rich condition and 42 is the ESC or knock sensor. That is the main reason for my desire to use the scanner function. With a swap like this I have no idea if the knock sensor is working, TPS voltage, etc. These are things that have nothing to do with tuning, but more with the setup.

One thing that I need to do is do a proper timing set using the bypass wire. Any suggestions? Another thing I have to investigate is the TPS voltage.

If i can just get my dashbord set up so I can see this information I'll be better off.

Seems as though you are emulating correctly. Both switches on AutoProm in? ALDL cable hooked to vehicle? Adx file loaded in TunerPRo? and then click double arrows/connect or Aqusition Start/Stop Data scan! If you see data then Acquisition Record. When done, Acquisition Stop and you will be promoted where to save data log and name it.

For timing you need to have bypass wire disconnected and set timing to 0. Lock distributor and check. Turn vehicle off, reconnect wire and disconnect battery to clear codes. Error 42 is always set when checking timing.

Inline six engine with it's long intake runners needs a couple things. One is a bin that runs Sync fuel, ony found one V6 bin that is Sync fuel, all others are Async. I usually tune them from ASDU V8 auto or ASDX V8 manual trans. What trans do you have?

The other thing is throttle blades open to allow fuel above throttle plates to mix with air. This is done at end of log after driving and look at IAC counts, keep them low, like 10. If at 30 or higher then open throttle bladed 1/4 turn. Check at end of a drive.

Why I say check at warmed up and end of a drive is the TBI is a wet intake, readings for IAC or idle tuning can all be way off if idleing or cold etc...

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Seems as though you are emulating correctly. Both switches on AutoProm in? ALDL cable hooked to vehicle? Adx file loaded in TunerPRo? and then click double arrows/connect or Aqusition Start/Stop Data scan! If you see data then Acquisition Record. When done, Acquisition Stop and you will be promoted where to save data log and name it.

For timing you need to have bypass wire disconnected and set timing to 0. Lock distributor and check. Turn vehicle off, reconnect wire and disconnect battery to clear codes. Error 42 is always set when checking timing.

Inline six engine with it's long intake runners needs a couple things. One is a bin that runs Sync fuel, ony found one V6 bin that is Sync fuel, all others are Async. I usually tune them from ASDU V8 auto or ASDX V8 manual trans. What trans do you have?

The other thing is throttle blades open to allow fuel above throttle plates to mix with air. This is done at end of log after driving and look at IAC counts, keep them low, like 10. If at 30 or higher then open throttle bladed 1/4 turn. Check at end of a drive.

Why I say check at warmed up and end of a drive is the TBI is a wet intake, readings for IAC or idle tuning can all be way off if idleing or cold etc...
    I do everything but when I click the double arrows I don't see any data being recorded. Do i need to have my dashbord setup? Is there an easy way if telling that my data is being recorded? I thought list veiw or dashboard would show it. I even recorded one and its looks to be blank. It's attached to post 1.

I'll do the timing the right way next time I'm in the garage.

I've heard that about the Async, but I don't know what it means. Is it a matter of changing the number of cylinders from 8 to 6 or is there more to it in order to change the bin from the ones you mentioned. That would be too easy if thats the case!!! I have a 3 speed auto, Torqueflite 999. Also, regarding the runner length, mine are extra long because it's a Clifford 4 barrel intake (much longer than stock).

I guess I can do the IAC counts when I figure out the datalogging/scanning issue.

That data log has something but no data?

You may have a cable installation issue?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...to-TunerPro-RT

Or wire from ECM to ALDL connector pin E.

It should show data when double arrow connect. But will not record till you Acquisition, Record.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    OK, it's been weeks but I'm back to it. I datalog but nothing shows up on my dashboad. I've attached my datalog and noticed that around 17 sec and various other times that "off Idle" changes for a split second. I didn't change anything from last time i tried this because I can't find anything to change. Also, can someone guide me to where I can change the idle speed to see if I am in fact emulating. I haven't made any changes to the bin to see if they actually take effect.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carb and Points!
    Also,regarding pin E. I used the paperclip on pin e and the CEL flashes and gives me error codes so that tells me its hooked up right. right?

Quote Originally Posted by 81projectvette View Post
    Also,regarding pin E. I used the paperclip on pin e and the CEL flashes and gives me error codes so that tells me its hooked up right. right?
    Paper clip trick is supposed to be from pin A to pin B... not E...

-= =-

Your data log is still not working? There is data there but not right for $42 adx file? Also the hz reading is very high for this 1227747 ECM? Something is wrong?

If you use paperclip on pin E? To what? And you get codes? Then you need to check your wiring to ALDL port and get data to pin E. Pin A is ground and pin B is 10k diagnostic test. You may have B and E swapped?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...5&d=1331599707

Also to emulate you need to change Mask ID to AA, this disables the checksum.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Paper clip trick is supposed to be from pin A to pin B... not E...
    You are correct. Is there a way to see if my serial data is outputting anything?

I'm thinking of trying WinALDL if I can't get this datalogging to work soon.

Read post above.

WinALDL won't work either if wiring is wrong...

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    I finally found how to change the mask ID to AA. thanks for that.

Can you point me in the right direction to change my idle speed so I can see if I'm emulating? "IAC Idle rpm for C/L ALDL" in scalars or "desired C/L Idle speed" in Tables?

"IAC - Desired C/L Idle Speed"

It's not totally accurate but close, if you raise it 100-200 RPM and "Commit Changes" it should show signs of RPM increase while emulating.

Only works in Drive, if you don't have a Park/Neutral switch the wire needs to be open, NOT GROUNDED!
    Corrects idle speed based on engine temperature.
    Desired idle rpm versus the coolant temperature. This is the end goal, the rpm at which the engine should idle. I have found that the table range is a bit on the high temperature side. When running cold aluminum manifolds, there may be little difference in the desired idle speed between 55c and 65c coolant.

-= =-