Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of RockAuto

I've made my post. I've stated how I feel and what I think. Not many seem to agree with me or even be on the same planet. It's a done deal. I already bought another compressor, locally this time, and I'm working on fixing it here in the shop.

I'm surprised that walmart did that much. I hate walmart because as conveneint as they are, they're one of the biggest killers of small town America and the small town economy. I'm sure I'll take flak for this one too. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by xtreamvette69 View Post
    oh , i guess i didnt pay attention to the part about them willing to replace.. i cant say i have ever gotten back or asked for labor on defective parts so idk what would happen local. i have heard some people have gotten reimbersed for labor though from local suppliers.

i guess though if i wanted labor and parts warented i would have the shop doing the work get the parts, thats why they mark up the parts to cover there azz's in situations like this. but ya thats the only way i would expect the part + labor to be free if an installed part was defective.

just a note .. i have even heard of walmart refunding part + labor for speakers someone bought / had installed and were junk out of the box, they just bitched and made a public scene about it till the manager refunded the speakers and the guys shop bill(installed at independant shop , not walmarts auto center)
    I agree. Many times if the entire job including parts is supplied by the shop doing it, they will cover part or all of the labour if something is defective within a reasonable amount of time.

I do my own labour, since I like to and I can not afford to have someone else do it for me. I can inspect the parts going on when I do it too. I can usually catch a defective part before it's installed, but not always.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
    I'm surprised that walmart did that much. I hate walmart because as conveneint as they are, they're one of the biggest killers of small town America and the small town economy. I'm sure I'll take flak for this one too. Bring it.
    This is something I agree with. I refuse to shop there. Especially after they fucked my (now ex) girlfriend wheels on a tire change and refused to do anything about it.

The way they conduct business is not very ethical at all. Luckily here in Canada, they don't seem to have the same power they do in the states.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I agree with the boycott of walmart too. From what I have heard I believe they are unethical for; how they treat their employees, their methods to evade taxes, and how they further the throwaway society that we have become accustomed too. I haven't shopped there in years and try to convince as many people as I can to do the same.
    1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

Although I do understand how you feel about RockAuto part causing more damage...

That is a problem doing your own repair. You buy a part, it fails, you have to do the labor again! If you had it done at a shop and they supplied the part? Then they would replace the part and charge no labor. But this is also why you pay so much more at a shop! Also why shops do not use CRAP parts!

I'd never use a rebuilt AC compressor, never, no way. Just because of what happened to you...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I thought he used a new compressor? or did I miss a mention of it being rebuilt?

My bad, he did say new... but in todays parts who knows what quality? Made in china?

So I'm leaning more towards his side. Brand new part screws up whole system? Yeah I'd be pissed and all over RockAuto ass for the damage it did! They want to sell cheap crap? Then they should feel the wrath of the consumer.

Did I ever mention none of the new compressors I have bought from ACKits.com have ever failed? You know why? it's all they do and they want to keep there good reputation!

-= =-

An old saying applies here:

"A new part is not a known good part."

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    My bad, he did say new... but in todays parts who knows what quality? Made in china? Brand new part screws up whole system? Yeah I'd be pissed and all over RockAuto ass for the damage it did! They want to sell cheap crap? Then they should feel the wrath of the consumer.
    Exactly.

The way I see it is that in most cases one would never have to worry about this. BUT this is not a typical case IMO, this is an A-typical case which adds a whole 'nother side to the transaction.

For example. If it was a set of headlights, a water pump, a window motor, or shocks or whatever, then it would be much easier to swap them out because… you're not completely and totally reliant on some kind of outside source to make it work, like with A/C.

But when you're working with A/C you have to have special stuff to reclaim the refrigerant. You have to have special equipment to vacuum the system out. You have to have gauges to put it back in etc. This is why it's much different than 99.9% of cases in my opinion.

If it WAS a headlight or a window switch or something then a replacement would have been perfectly acceptable. I have returned MORE than my share of parts that were bad right out of the box than most people probably ever will. I NEVER cop an attitude with the counter guy (or somebody on the phone). But I still say, when the part is some kind of anomaly in the procedures/service required, as in this case, just replacement/refund doesn't make it right.

I got my A/C working really good last summer with a friends set of gauges and it worked for a few months, but then the original compressor from 1990 finally bit the dust after 20+ yrs of service. I let it slide since it was getting into the cooler months.

I don't half ass things, and if I don't know something/never done it before, I do whatever it takes to learn and become competent.

In Canada you don't know what it's like to REALLY want A/C and just how cranky it can make you when it can be 100*F and ABOVE with a LOT of humidity for DAYS and DAYS.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 08-13-2013 at 08:20 AM.

I've run AC every day for at least a month or so now and I'm 60 miles from Canadia ay?

Plus it was 100-105 between here and Portland Or when I went and when I came home. Yes the entire AC system on my 98 Chevy was new last year.

Did I ever mention none of the new compressors I have bought from ACKits.com have ever failed? You know why? it's all they do and they want to keep there good reputation!

-= =-

OK I deleted some posts, I don't like how this is turning to atacks, everyone has an opinion so state it and keep away from attacks on one another...lets keep it to subject...

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post

What you have is called an "Entitlement complex". Where just because something happened, that someone ELSE should have to pay for it. Sorry, but life doesn't work that way. The way I read this, they did exactly their part. They have not screwed you at all.

Yes, it sucks to have to pay for anything, I agree, but that's how life works.

If they didn't offer to exchange the failed item or refund, then they would have screwed you.
    Although I agree, that is how it works.

But an attorney would see this differently. There's just not enough money for an attorney to get involved with law for this stuff. It would be called liability, just as new car manufacturers or any defective part that is made for anything? If it fails to work properly and causes damage then the maker is liable! Laws like this prevent a lot of business from making things, then when they are made the manufacturer has to figure out how many will be sold? Even if their product is sound. They add all the liability costs to cover lawsuits and attorney fees. Do you realize 1/3 the cost of a new car is because of this?

-= =-

Back to WalMart... that is a double edge sword. Many people say it kills small town America, but so does many other things as time changes. Interstate highways have killed more small towns then anything?

Competition is always good for the consumer as it brings prices down and competition. If other business can't keep up? Well that's how business works. The consumer decides where to spend there money. If it was not a good deal? Then why are so many people always shopping there? Just as Rock Auto get's so much business because of lower prices then local auto parts stores... the person spending the money decides where, this is the fate of how the business will survive ot not.

As for the employees, they don't have to work there, no one is forcing them. They are free to work where ever they want and the employer is free to choose who ever they want... well almost free as they are bound by countless regulations. There are many people that work for Walmart that have no skills or training, they are lucky to have a job at all! It's better then welfare and food stamps, which is good for economy.

Walmart plays by rules and regulations made by government and they are very good at it. The sales tax and state revenue from Wlmarts around here is a great boost for local government. It has brought down prices for the consumer everywhere.

-= =-

Administrator
    When you have a problem with parts from local store they will offer to replace part or refund money, same as big company. If there is additional damage you can submit a labor claim or supplemental claim. These claims are then submitted to the manufacturer who may or may not pay out. If the local store pays right away they are taking it out of pocket, generally because Mom and Pop know you and give you Good Guy treatment. They may or may not be reimbursed by manufacturer.

Large resellers such as Advance Auto, Wally World, and Rockauto are selling for less partly because they limit their own payouts to "Replace or refund only." Check the fine print. Wal-Mart sometimes goes so far as to have the manufacturer include instructions not to contact the store for warranty issues, but to call the mfgr directly.

• Like other retailers of branded products, RockAuto does not offer any product warranty of our own--we honor the warranty provided by the manufacturer of the product. If you have a problem with a part during the warranty period, please contact us and we will arrange a return and replacement of the same part.
    • The summary below does not include all the terms and limitations of each manufacturer's warranty, and manufacturers may change their warranty terms without notice (to you or to us). For warranty details, please visit the manufacturer's website.
    • Warranties apply only to the original purchaser of the part and the vehicle on which the part was originally installed.
    • Terms listed apply only for parts used on a private passenger vehicle; warranties for cargo, commercial or off-road vehicles may be more limited.
    • Warranties offer only replacement of the defective part with another part: no cash refunds and no reimbursement of labor costs, shipping costs or other expenses.
    • Replacement under warranty does not extend the warranty term. Warranties begin upon delivery.
    • Wholesaler Closeout items have a 30 day warranty (but still are covered by our Return Policy).
    http://www.rockauto.com/docs/warranty.php

I don't half ass things, and if I don't know something/never done it before, I do whatever it takes to learn and become competent.
    Here are some thoughts:
    1) If you had let the reputable shop purchase and install the compressor, the cost of repairing this issue would fall on them, not you.
    2) If you had bought your compressor and dryer from the local Mom and Pop store there's a better chance they would have covered this incidental damage.
    3) You're smart enough to realize, and probably had been warned that, bringing in outside parts to the shop was a gamble which may have left you open to exactly the problem you are having now.
    4) If you don't bring your own bacon and eggs into a restaurant and ask to have them cooked, why is it different to bring your own parts into the garage?

This is not a new game. Information required to make a decision about buying from this company is not hidden. You failed to understand, comprehend, or believe all the rules. You gambled and lost. Time to pay up.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 08-14-2013 at 12:48 AM.

OK I deleted some posts, I don't like how this is turning to atacks, everyone has an opinion so state it and keep away from attacks on one another...lets keep it to subject...

Although I agree, that is how it works.

But an attorney would see this differently. There's just not enough money for an attorney to get involved with law for this stuff. It would be called liability, just as new car manufacturers or any defective part that is made for anything? If it fails to work properly and causes damage then the maker is liable! Laws like this prevent a lot of business from making things, then when they are made the manufacturer has to figure out how many will be sold? Even if their product is sound. They add all the liability costs to cover lawsuits and attorney fees. Do you realize 1/3 the cost of a new car is because of this?
    I really don't think any lawyer would.

The failing compressor has not, as far as I have read, damaged any other part directly or indirectly. The additional services needed in order to replace the component is not part of warranty coverage.

Back to WalMart... that is a double edge sword. Many people say it kills small town America, but so does many other things as time changes. Interstate highways have killed more small towns then anything?

Competition is always good for the consumer as it brings prices down and competition. If other business can't keep up? Well that's how business works. The consumer decides where to spend there money. If it was not a good deal? Then why are so many people always shopping there? Just as Rock Auto get's so much business because of lower prices then local auto parts stores... the person spending the money decides where, this is the fate of how the business will survive ot not.

As for the employees, they don't have to work there, no one is forcing them. They are free to work where ever they want and the employer is free to choose who ever they want... well almost free as they are bound by countless regulations. There are many people that work for Walmart that have no skills or training, they are lucky to have a job at all! It's better then welfare and food stamps, which is good for economy.

Walmart plays by rules and regulations made by government and they are very good at it. The sales tax and state revenue from Wlmarts around here is a great boost for local government. It has brought down prices for the consumer everywhere.
    Competition is good, undercutting is not. It's impossible for an independent retailer to be competitive with big box stores, when the bog box stores sell the same product to the consumer for less than the independent can purchase that same item for. Don't fooled for an instant that Walmart and most big box stores are "playing fairly" or are providing "healthy competition".

Walmart doesn't go to a manufacturer and ask "How much will this item cost us?"

They go to that manufacturer and say "This is how much we will buy this item for and no more." They usually also add: "We want exclusive distribution rights on this too."

For items they are not granted exclusivity on, they will sometimes get their own model numbers, but sell the same product as independents who pay more. This practice has been going on for years with the Car Audio industry. Pioneer Electronics is a co-hort to this. They will provide an "exclusive model" to a big box store, that has all the same features as the ones the independents get, but for less money and usually one digit difference in the model number.

I agree that employment is good, but don't kid yourself. One Walmart employs less people than if there were independent shops selling all the same product, even if it was only one store selling each of the different departments. They do this by having as few staff on hand as possible.

It's a downward spiral. A big box retailer moves in, closes down most of the independents, though a few usually survive, thanks to people who refuse to shop at Walmart, killing a bunch of jobs, driving up unemployment, without even attempting to reduce the unemployment stats. So now there is less money in that community to spend, so more people need to buy things cheap, where to get them cheap? Walmart, the same place that caused them to lose their job in the first place. So now the poor get poorer and Walmart feeds on this to keep the economy down.

What needs to happen is that bog box stores need to do business the same way the independents do, buying at the same rate, selling at the same rate, or close to, and then you'll see how real competition works.