Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New cable , no workie ......

Quote Originally Posted by phonedawgz View Post
    FTDI is still having troubles with their drivers. I have two batches of FT232RL boards here. One of the batches works 100% with the 2.08.30 (8.1.2013 release). The other batch works only 10% on the new .30 driver, or .28 or .24. 2.08.14 solves the problem however and works on all of them.

Below is the CDM 2.08.14 exe program. Down load it, unzip it and then run Setup_CDM2.08.14.exe. That will load the .14 drivers onto your PC. Then in Device Manager "update" BOTH the USB Serial Port (Under Ports (COM & LPT) and under Universal Serial Bus controllers update the entry USB Serial Converter.

In Update select "Install from a list or specific location" then choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." Next you should see a screen with the drivers in your computer's library along with the 2.08.14. Select that for BOTH entries in Device manager.

You might have to reboot after this procedure, however I found that I did not have to.

Here is the installer for CDM 2.08.14 in my dropbox - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%202.08.14.zip
    Was having all manner of problems with bins verifying after uploading to AutoProm (see here: http://forum.tunerpro.net/viewtopic.php?p=12710#12710). So plugged in AutoProm and installed FTDI version 2.08.14 recommended here. Problem solved. Have 2-3 yr old HP laptop Win7 64 bit. Previous version of driver was 2.8.2.0.
    But here are deviations from the quoted post:
    • FTDI Driver installed and automatically updated both the COM Port and the USB Converter to the new Driver version. Nothing else to do.
    • Windows does not show the installation of the new Driver package in Control Panel/Programs and Features - not listed. And v2.8.2.0 also was not shown.
    • But Windows does show "Windows Driver package - FTDI CDM Driver package (10/21/2009 2.06.00)", and it's listed twice. Have no clue what these are for, so reluctant to delete them.

Just curious as to why the above are listed and the new installation is not?

Windows by default should be choosing the latest version of the driver. The procedure I described was a driver roll back and thus more complicated. No idea however as to why the new installation does not show in the installed list. Yes you SHOULD be able to now uninstall the old drivers, but why try and fix something that is not broken?

Fuel Injected!
    Digging up a bit of an old thread, but ive been researching info about the counterfit FTDI chips that have been in circulation in the last 6 months and stumbled on this thread.

I believe the issues is just that, counterfit chips. FTDI appear to have modified their drivers to detect the bad silicon and cause them not to work. This is why the old driver that pre-dates the forgeries hitting the market still works.

According to this site http://zeptobars.ru/en/read/FTDI-FT2...-fake-supereal the forgeries have been made to be API compatible but not a copy of FTDIs silicon at all.

It seems the market has been flooded and many genuine companies have been stung. Ive also been stung, and it seems one must now be careful to buy only though official distribution channels. There are other reports around the net of the same.

Fuel Injected!
    Updated my drivers to 2.0.14 on converter and on comport. Also removed all other FTDI drivers off my computer. Attempting to use Test for Valid interface settings in Tunerpro RT and It keeps failing. I used realterm and still get null characters as I did before.
    Dbl check drivers and connections and still nothing. Does anybody know what the problem could be now

Fuel Injected!
    I'd say you have got a clone chip and havnt ended up with the latest drivers (perhaps windows re-installed the current ones allready?) The description of what happens when the fake chips are detected from the link 2 posts above is:

"It seems that in this case Chinese designers implemented protocol-compatible "fake" chip, using mask-programmable microcontroller. This way they only needed to redo 1 mask - this is much cheaper than full mask set, and explains a lot of redundant pads on the die. Fake chip was working kinda fine until FTDI released drivers update, which were able to detect fake chips via USB and send only 0's in this case."

I think that because you are seeing all nulls in realterm, that shows that you are hitting this issue still.

Fuel Injected!
    I did read that thread about clone chips and I suspected that. Thanks for the response. Look like I am just going to buy a cable from the site this time. Before I spend more money on another cable, is there any other test to verify that this is definatively the problem.?

Fuel Injected!
    Subscribed as I am having what seems to be the exact same issue with my system.

I'm on an older Win7 laptop, even considering buying a new laptop (I'm an IT professional so I've been thinking about it for a while, thiw may be the last straw) just to have a known-good clean environment for it to fail on.... :)

I'm up to page 2, will read through and hopefully inspiration will strike and I'll realize how stupid I've been ;)
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

'89 S10 Blazer: SOA SAS: Dana 44s, 5.7L V8, 700R4; 35s, 4.10:1; TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '94 Grand Cherokee: 4.0, 4" lift, 31s
    '90 Jeep Cherokee: In progress: 5.7L V8,700R4,NP231C, D44s. TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '87 Fiero GT: 3.8SC (initial research stage)

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by antus View Post
    Digging up a bit of an old thread, but ive been researching info about the counterfit FTDI chips that have been in circulation in the last 6 months and stumbled on this thread.

I believe the issues is just that, counterfit chips. FTDI appear to have modified their drivers to detect the bad silicon and cause them not to work. This is why the old driver that pre-dates the forgeries hitting the market still works.

According to this site http://zeptobars.ru/en/read/FTDI-FT2...-fake-supereal the forgeries have been made to be API compatible but not a copy of FTDIs silicon at all.

It seems the market has been flooded and many genuine companies have been stung. Ive also been stung, and it seems one must now be careful to buy only though official distribution channels. There are other reports around the net of the same.
    It sounds like this may very well be my problem. The chips I'm using were purchased circa 2013, and are exhibiting the same flight performance- including not working at all since the latest drivers were installed.

I will be buying a prefab cable with OBD1 connector Friday and will leave the DIY route for future exploration. This way I'll have all needs addressed.
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

'89 S10 Blazer: SOA SAS: Dana 44s, 5.7L V8, 700R4; 35s, 4.10:1; TBI with 1227747 ECM
    '90 Jeep Cherokee: In progress: 5.7L V8,700R4,NP231C, D44s. TBI with 1227747 ECM

You can try pulling up a terminal emulation program and trying out the port. Due to the nature of the wiring needed, you should get an echo of the characters sent. If instead you get null characters for every one sent you have the counterfeit problem.

Fuel Injected!
    Its also not true that the chips work with the old drivers, at least the ones I had did not. I was on XP and installed the recommended older drivers and could connect to my ecm. But i couldnt log for more than a minute or two before the com port would crash (not sure if driver or hardware) and TP would lock right up until I disconnected the USB cable at which point TP came back to life but of course only counting data errors. Maybe with a smaller amount of data or at normal speeds they were more stable, or maybe whoever tested did not really give them a hammering, but I would not recommend using them for ALDL even if you do run the old driver.

The data speeds that the GM OBD1 ECMs output is either extremely extremely slow (8192 baud) or extremely extremely extremely slow (130 baud), compared to the limits of the chips used (3,000,000 baud- 3 meg). I have quite a bit of experience with the genuine chips and with the fake chips. I have not seen the lock up problem before but I doubt it is coming from a data overrun of the fake or genuine chips.

Fuel Injected!
    I am by no means an expert on GM EFI, but I know a thing or two about computers. Concur with phonedawgz, there's no way in this world that the GM EFI unit is buffer-overflowing the USB chips, real or phony.

Still wasn't able to get mine working. I get paid tomorrow, I need one of these cables ASAP. I'm in Charleston, SC- how quick can you get one to me, phonedawgz?

FTR, I will need a cable for a OBD1 setup in an 89 S10 Blazer. Originally had the "Vin Z" 4.3, now has a similar 5.7 running TBI with the 1227747 (or is it an 8062? Believe they are both compatible) ECM.
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

PM replied to

Fuel Injected!
    Got it working!

Another little bit for those having trouble getting the cable to pass the test out of the vehicle (particularly if building your own, will defer to the manufacturers and let them advise on their product):

Try shorting the TXD and RXD pins whilst testing. This was the final thing required for successful selftest and lead me to successfully getting data from my 89 S10 1227747 ECM.

If using this with a 160-baud ECM (specifically the 7747 above, no experience with others), lift the TXD wire off the arduino board as not only is the unit not needed, it will apparently hinder data transmission with some units.

Just FYI for the DIY set. Some of us can't resist rolling our own no matter how long it takes, just so we can say we did. That said, for testing this and other vehicles with other laptops, etc, I am still buying a set of cables from phonedawg.
    -Phil, in Charleston, SC

Error 404

When I try and retrieve the driver out of the drop box I get an error 404, cant find the file. Any Ideas?