Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM Distributor with Cam sensor

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    What about building a 7 notch wheel for the front of the crank?

This^^^

If you tried to use a dizzy to create the needed crank signal, you would actually need to create a 14x wheel, with two offset notches, in order to have proper timed signals, due to the cam rotating at half the RPM of the crank. As factory installed, the 660 DIS system uses a 7x wheel (6 equally spaced notches and 1 offset by 10 degrees for a home signal).

There have been various ways that people have made the crankt triggers on engines that do not have them. I've made an external trigger wheel that attaches to the front of the harmonic dampner for a couple of mine.

On my 1985 GMC Jimmy, that I built a turbo hybrid for. This used a 2.8L block, so it didn't have crank trigger sensor provisions, even though the crank I installed, a FWd 3.1L unit, had the notches.

I used the same wheel with some modifications and new sensor mount when I installed the DIS system on my Nissan I6:

I'm now using this same trigger wheel and modified teh original mount to fit on my current LX9 (3500).
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    I'm asking because I have an old 60° v6 iron heads

Hmmm... are you talking about this?

Or this:

Fuel Injected!
    Top one, in a fiero. Came with ho big valve heads from factory. If opened up, runs very strong and had good torque. Of course, all measurements are made seat-of-pants.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    This^^^

If you tried to use a dizzy to create the needed crank signal, you would actually need to create a 14x wheel, with two offset notches, in order to have proper timed signals, due to the cam rotating at half the RPM of the crank. As factory installed, the 660 DIS system uses a 7x wheel (6 equally spaced notches and 1 offset by 10 degrees for a home signal).
    Yes. I'm thinking why not simply install a second reluctor on top the first one and "star" the reluctor wheel on the dizzy to accomplish the doubled up whacks?

Administrator
    The HO engines in the X11 cars were kind of fun to drive. Too bad GM bailed out on 'em.

Fuel Injected!
    I think the citation had an x11 that never turned heads but blew away anything close to it in class? I might be remembering that wrong.

Administrator
    The X11 cars were built for racing. They were a project of John Heinricy.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...citation-x-11/

I found an old geocities page out there with neat reading but it apparently comes with malware. :(

Quote Originally Posted by f85gtron View Post
    Yes. I'm thinking why not simply install a second reluctor on top the first one and "star" the reluctor wheel on the dizzy to accomplish the doubled up whacks?
    That won't work...

You REALLY need to look at what makes the DIS system tick, to understand just how important it is to get the correct trigger wheel made and working.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Administrator
    Yep... "double pulses" is not the way to go. The original 60 deg V6 DIS wheel looks like the one Six_Shooter posted previously.

It turns at crank speed where the distributor turns at 1/2 crank speed, so you'd have to make a wheel with 14 notches instead of 7 and they'd have to be mirror images of each other. Here's a good description under "Magnetic CKP." https://books.google.com/books?id=0S...0notch&f=false

Fuel Injected!
    14 signals on the dizzy is what I was trying to accomplish. Seems easier than swapping cranks. But then again, 15 minutes to swap out a balancer sounds easy too. Dang! Thought i was on to something!
    Sooo......what you're trying to say is... there's a reason it hasn't been done. ;)

Administrator
    I think it may have been tried once back in the day. There were some old posts from a guy "tedscj" on diy-efi. IIRC he was trying to use a GM ecm on a Jag engine. I believe he made a distributor with a double notched wheel. Back then we didn't know enough to make it work properly but he gave a a dang good try.

I built a wheel and adapter for DIS on my Toyota engine. I put mine in front of the pulleys. I have to remove the sensor to change the belts but it's not a big deal.