Thread: PROPER WAY TO SET UP TIMING IN CHIP AND CAR?

Fuel Injected!

PROPER WAY TO SET UP TIMING IN CHIP AND CAR?

ok quick question 165 ecm ARAP bin $6e mask
    what is the proper way to increase your base timing?
    i know if you just increas it at the distributor and do nothing with the chip then that increased amount will be there all accross the tables in the ecm, correct?

so example would be on my car stock is 6*initial adv and the chip says spark referance angle base timing. so if i were to set it up to 10 then when i hook the esc wire back up and the electronics add there 15* or whatever it is that it adds instead of 21* i would have 25* but it would have that added adv all accross all tables?

so are you ever supposed to change the initial timing on the engine or always stock setting and just change it in chip?
    are you ever supposed to change the spark referance angle base timing on the chip or always factory?

or is timing only to be changed in the tables for verying conditions and vehicle base as well as spark referance angle base timing in chip should always remain as stock?

please explain all this thanks

Fuel Injected!
    normally you would set the base at whatever you want as your cranking spark to get good starts then set the reference angle the same.generally stock is fine for most cars but a good size cam might need it changed if it windmills before starting.theres other settings in some codes for time demain correction for spark and you can use this after the ecu takes over control of spark to tune in timing delay of the crank trigger to ecu and to verify commanded spark to actual with a timing light.once again never normally gets touched by most people.
    Last edited by delcowizzid; 08-06-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    ahh good info, good to know ..
    ya its not a big cam only 288/289adv dur .444/.466lift 112 lobe sep but i do notice when i set my initial timing higher (on the car not chip) just testing things out with adv wire unhooked it runs smoother, has better vacuum and starts better. so i guess now i need to figure out where i think its best then and make another chip trying that method.
    as of right now all is as stock and the timing has just been added into one of the tables. i guess its all about playing around to find what works best ...thanks for reply

If Base timing in chip is stock at 6*? Then set the distributor to 6*. There's no reason to start doing tricks on a small cam motor...

Now if you need more timing then add it to the spark advance table!

Be careful what XDF you are using! There are 2 $6E masks floating around and one shows actual timing by subtracting the base timing via the hex address, so if you change base timing in bin it is always accurate. The other mask does not! So you are not looking at actual timing! You are looking at actual timing PLUS base timing. If you change base timing in bin or car? Well we could figure it out but why?

If you post your bin XDF I'll let you know what you have. If you post your bin I'll give you some pointers on how to increase spark advance for modified cam.

Also raising the idle a little is a big help with idle and modified cams.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    ok sounds good thanks for the replies....
    as far as the xdf i am using atm its the $6e that comes with tunerpro rt and ARAP bin from same source, i have used $6e's and ARAP's from other sites as well i didnt know there were differant ones.
    guess i should find known good ones and stick with them.
    i would post my xdf for you to verify, but im not sure as to how but will try.
    these are ones i use, they may be duplicates even idk but those are the 2 i use.
    Attached Files Attached Files