Thread: $58 timing with DIS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

$58 timing with DIS

Ok, so I'm testing different masks (codes) on my car, to both get more familiar with them and see if there is another issue else where.

Well, I have been running $59 for about 4 years now on my Nissan L28 (Inline 2.8L 6 cyl) with DIS, and it runs very well, I can get response from practically every change I make, especially anything to do with timing, easy to see with a timing light.

Well, I used a known good running $59 bin that I had to set-up a $58 bin for my car. I manually copied over the main values that I figured would need to be changed and figured that the $59 values would be close enough to start with. Well they were, mostly.

The issue is, that my timing seems to be locked at somewhere around 45 degrees BTDC, I can NOT get this to move, using the offset tables, using the F1 table, etc. I can get some change if I set the spark reference angle to something closer to that of a dizzy bin. but obviously the engine doesn't run well then. The timing doesn't seem to follow what is in the main SA table (F1), even with this change. It just appears locked. The ECM IS commanding timing somehow, because when I switch the bypass switch off (I have a switch in place of the connector), base timing lines right up at 10 degrees BTDC. With the switch on and running with the base timing the actual timing seems to get locked at the aforementioned 45 or so degrees (My timing pointer only goes up to about 20 degrees, so I'm guestimating the actual advance at this point).

My settings to run my DIS are as follows:
    Spark Reference Angle (KREFANGL) 59.77
    Max Spark Advance (KMAXADV) -9.84
    Max Spark Retard (KMAXRTD2) -70

Hardware:
    Nissan 2.8L I6 Turbo
    60 degree V6 DIS ICM and coils
    1227749 ECM
    2 BAR MAP sensor (When testing $58)
    3 BAR MAP sensor when using $59
    Ostrich EPROM emulator

Software:
    Tuner Pro RT V5
    XDF:
    58_2bar_1.3.xdf (attached)
    Bin:
    Started with a 4cyl Turbo Sunbird Manual bin, AKDB (modified bin for my car attached)

These are the same settings I am using with the $59 bin, and work fine there.

The car does start, idle and free rev very well, with this bin, but I'm not going to attempt driving it with this until I get this timing control sorted out.

I noticed that the timing value displayed on my TunerviewII would stay pretty locked around 13* most of the time, though I was able to move this value by changing scalers and compensation tables, but I can't be certain that $58 and $59 use the same ALDL word for the timing value. On the laptop the TDC value was in the 10s of thousands of degrees BTDC, usually around the 20000 degrees mark, which is obviously not correct. lol

I have had this issue on another car, that is also not the original application for $58, and need to get to the bottom of this.

Any insight?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.