Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How many E fans? Turned AC advice!

Well I'm still holding out and hoping it's something about the compressor that's not right because every wire, plug, switch and relay in the circuit that I've inspected so far has been good apparently.

Could it be possible that there is something wrong with the mechanicals of the compressor clutch itself? I'm going to look into that one by popping the clutch off the compressor since it's got no belt right no anyways.

This is not my picture, but that plug on top that sits behind the pulley, that's the plug for the coil. I can grab that plug and easily turn it side to side until it hits those bolts on either side. I have never seen one of these R4 compressors do that, so I don't think it's supposed to move like that. I think that something mechanical must be broken inside for that plug to move so freely back and forth on the coil. I tried to remove the nut in the pulley center so that I can inspect the clutch and coil but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I can get a spanner wrench to hold the front of the pulley and clutch still.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 08-12-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    to answer your above questions/comments etc.

no that plug and coil are not supposed to move, it is supposed to be a press fit.

good luck in getting the clutch/pully etc off even if you do have a spanner and get the nut off...some R4's dont even have the nut at all, they are press fit and require a puller that threads into those female threads you see.

after that there is a spap ring holding the pully on along with.... yep you guessed it along with being pressed on(this you can remove with a 2 or 4 jaw puller.

once all thats off you will see the pressed on coil(ceramic with wire wrapped around it) and as mentioned it is pressed on as well.. this can be removed putting the compressor in a vice then use two big screwdrivers behind the coil to pry it off.

reassembly is pretty much the same...
    put the coil back on by putting big screwdriver down in bottom of grooved part and carfully hammer it down evenly (do not hammer on the ceramic)

tap pully back down on using rubber or dead blow hammer (dont hammer on the surface)

replace your beveled snap ring (flat side toward compressor)

then install the hub, dont forget to put the key back in it, then yep you guessed it use the special puller that comes with a bearing to reinstall it.

you may get lucky and not need the special puller if its all sloppy fit like maybe a remad but i never heard of one not needing the tool.

best of luck, party on

Fuel Injected!
    ahh so i was right it did start with the clutch slipping, yaaay. what do i win

anyhow good show, it musta almost fell apart after getting that hot

How about a beer?

Best I can put the pieces together is that the bearing was either not right to begin with, or, whenever that snap ring was installed, it wasn't seated properly therfore it trashed the bearing. I'll never know but at least I'm on track to getting it fixed now.

AFTER buying ANOTHER compressor, manifold gauges, vacuum pump, blah blah blah. At least I can do my own AC work now that I've got the tools.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
    How about a beer?
    AFTER buying ANOTHER compressor, manifold gauges, vacuum pump, blah blah blah. At least I can do my own AC work now that I've got the tools.
    your all set now then

Yeah buddy! No more borrowing peoples manifold gauges or depending on a shop to service A/C. What a liberating feeling it is.....