Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many E fans? Turned AC advice!

Question:

If the system is filled with oil, and you have to evacuate the refrigerant for whatever reason, does that vacuum the oil out as well, or does it stay in there since it's not a gas???

Any good info on flushing?

I would bet that I could get by without flushing again so soon since it was recently done, and, the compressor doesn't appear to have any internal problems related to the compressor itself, just the electromagnetic clutch on the compressor is the problem.

Well the system is not filled with oil, the oil mixes in freon. When you evacuate it is just taken air, not fluid.

Check your expansion valve? if it is like this? Pretty easy to see if there is any debree and needs a fluch/clean.
    dsc_0099_2.jpg

The problem in a new system is oil. The compessor should be flushed with oil to lube it then drained. Each system has a capacity for correct amount of oil and correct amount of freon. Can go a little over on oil, but not less. If more you are displacing freon...

So back to anew system, it's all clean and dry, compressor flushed with oil and drained... well you can't just add all the oil, it will lube compressor and then compressor will run dry until oil comes around again and eventually it's all a good mix for lubrication. So new clean dry system needs an once of oil in condensor, once in drier, once in high side, once in low side etc... basically correct amount spread all over to avoid new compressor running no lube till all mixed.

I'm not the AC expert. Check out ACKits.com website and forum, all the write ups are there, questions will be answered and after an order they are really even more helpful to set you up right! That's where I learned enough to get it right. I don't think they support the Envioro Safe LPG replacement as it is not legal here in USA... although it is colder then R12 driving, IIRC it is not as cold at idle as R12 but better then R134a?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

The expansion valve is another term for the orifice tube right?
    I'll check that when I can, hopefully later tonight.
    So what you're saying is that when you evacuate the system it's just pulling the air/refrigerant gas, but it's leaving the oil? I know that they mix but I'm confused on this.
    Supposing my compressor is the only thing wrong and the orifice tube looks good, then can I just replace the compressor and add 1 ounce of oil and be good??
    And how exactly would you go about flushing the compressor with oil?
    And good point earlier about how lobbyists from big corporations run our governement and own our "elected officials".... DemoRATS and RepubliCONS, they're all a bunch of crooks that are paid off by big moneyed interests.

Please don't get me started on politics...

Yes orifice tube... my bad... told you I'm no AC expert.

So from a non expert, the freon is sometimes liquid and sometimes gas depending on pressure? It's confusing to me as well, really ask on ACKits.com forum or it is probably already there.

Pour correct oil in compressor and pump it through. To simple, then empty it. I got this info from... wait for it... ACKits.com

Don't forget to add UV dye or the oil equivilent. Still need UV flashlight and glasses to see it when it leaks but sure makes things easier if you ever have an issue.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    lol HAHA Mark got it wrong, expansion valve*snickers*

Darn humans are always messing things up...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    just a note: easiest time and way to ensure proper oil is when everything is new clean of oil and or everything removed and oil cleaned out from everything otherwise there is no true way of knowing how much oil is in the system.

once a system is assembled and running with correct coolant and oil load the procedure is that you can replace a component and then add just the amount back that was to be added to that component in the first place to = still having correct amount of oil in system(please dont anyone do this if there was a mecanical malfunction involving possible contamination of the system)

be very carefull paying attention to compressor directions/info as some have oil in them already and some you are told to add it.

also as with replacing any component in ac system , pull a vacuum(evacuate) on the system and let sit, this is not just to check for leaks or to remove the 124a from the system but also to remove air/moisture from the system. air and moisture will drastically lessen your cooling ability.

oil is not removed durring the vacuum process (some slight amounts that take vapor form possibly but its not a measurable amount)

hope this helps

LOL you and me both...

There is UV dye in the system from servicing it a few days prior.

Ok, I hear what you're saying. I feel confident that the oil level is good.

Ok I'm going to just replace the compressor and add the amount of oil it needs.

I picked up a vacuum pump from harbor freight with the manifold gauges. I'm thinking of trying to put together some kind of homemade refrigerant recovery system. You can actually buy tanks, then just add a compressor and should be able to start recycling this stuff. That's my next move.

Check this out LOL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efaeYM0rpY0

Ok the oil isn't removed from the system during the vacuum draw… That's good to know.

Thanks guys.

Super Moderator
    not too long ago on the GMECM or DIYEFI list, David Allen posted a quick rundown of what he was doing using what i think was essentially keyboard duster. yet another cheap and interesting alternative.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    what type vehicle is it, most chevys run at lest 7 ounces of oil in the total system, I can look in my book tomorrow an see, to much it wont cool as good to little it wont last long.

Keyboard duster?? I thought that stuff was mainly just compressed air?

ony - it's the truck in my sig. 1990 C1500 w/ a TBI 350

Here's a shot showing my 2nd smaller fan that pushes air through the condenser. I should have got a shot of the main fan, on the radiator side…

Here's the resistance on the prongs at the compressor clutch:

Another shot of the same:

Can somebody school me? How much resistance is OK at this compressor? And? Did I set my meter at the right setting to measure resistance?

I uploaded some stuff conecerning A/C oil that I found a while back. Ya'll take a look and tell me what you think.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 08-11-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Super Moderator
    http://lists.diy-efi.org/pipermail/g...y/subject.html

3.6 ohms at 12 volts = 3.3333 amps.

Fuel Injected!
    it looks like it has been changed over to r134a,i havent done an r4 for awhile if the compresor is emity i would put at lest 6 ounces in the sucksion side then 1 more ounce in the acummulator on the evaporator side fitting hole. at home today an dont have any books7 ounces wont hurt it if you have flushed the system. i have seen them old connectors get lose and try and melt the wires. when you charge it up 45 on the low side ,250 -275 high side at idle, run the rpms up as to going down the hiway should stay 300-325 on the high side unless its really hot out side or condenser needs washed out or fan trouble my internet worked flawlessly for 2 weeks now it hardly works
    Last edited by ony; 08-11-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: more info

I watched the youtube video where he charged that AC with duster, what a cool idea. *heh* It seems to work just as good as the R134a.

Best I can tell I have some kind of voltage drop within the compressor itself? Or is it a high resistance situation causing current drop? I know I =V/R but that's about it at this point.
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 08-12-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Super Moderator
    voltage has to drop in the compressor... otherwise, no work could be extracted. there MIGHT be some high resistance wire in the circuit, that would certainly cause issues, like a magnetic clutch that slips instead of grabs.