Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DA Data Errors?

Super Moderator
    hmm..... then ~150ish ohm resistor to ground on the coolant temp circuit? that's in the 220*F range.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Reading the ALDL.ds file the TP ADX does not follow it at all?

I just made one real quick that does, have no idea if it will work or not... but maybe it will help xtremevette69 follow his new knowledge of ALDL.ds files and TP adx file changes.
    Attached Files Attached Files

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    ALDL.ds files were what GM gave to scanner companies to make scan tools. This is what is used (easy way) to make the TunerPro .adx files.

Pretty sure this is correct for your system. Just open with Notepad.
    ahh pretty interesting thanks and yep thats how i've heard it described for comunications.

Pretty sure the way I read his last test with fan on ECM it was engine temp warmed up that caused the issue. Not a hot ECM.

yep that is correct at least to the ecm and chip temp seeming to not be the problem, still up in the air if its engine temp or just something that happens about that time or just coincedence as to that being when it always happens.. still more testing to do, fun fun

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar
    hmm..... then ~150ish ohm resistor to ground on the coolant temp circuit? that's in the 220*F range.
    could try that but ii know that when i had the issue with my ECS maxing before it never disrupted TP, it kept logging it just fine.. so i would say if its engine temp or just temp based it is actual heat and not just reported sensor data doing the disrupting, but i can easily test that again because i dont recall which ecm i was using when i had that issue. think it was with the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark
    Reading the ALDL.ds file the TP ADX does not follow it at all?

I just made one real quick that does, have no idea if it will work or not... but maybe it will help xtremevette69 follow his new knowledge of ALDL.ds files and TP adx file changes.
    lol @ new knowledge
    i will try it out though i will also look through it and see if i can figure what you changed as well... thanks

Fuel Injected!
    umm ok now i am truely puzzled as to what little it must take to effect these ecm's.

totally confussed.. i was just now looking through the diff logs i recorded durring my tests of the elusive TP DA Error that i did today, and something very odd in the first log file that i have never seen before.. ever.
    I will post the log but it has alot of jumps/hops/blanks in the logs when viewing monitor view this is my best description.. the log goes normal then like its logging data but its just nothingness(like when reviewing the file paused and moving the scan line accross the page it all goes normal till one of these spots then the scan line skips over it, now keep in mind there are trace lines there but the scan line just wont go onto them but only jumps past them) sound like anything you guys have seen?

anyhow the first one has alot and is the only one i was holding the fan up close to the ecm/chip in, after that for the other logs the fan was still laying there but not as close and certainly not right up to it and the 2nd log only has like one or 2 of these spots and the rest i dont think have any but i was doing alot of playing/adjusting on them so probably hard to notice.
    now i already told you about the setup above with the little cooling fan close to and pointing at the ecm and chip(its a small 12v squirral cage fan i can post pic if wanted) anyhow for ease of getting power i have a interior light connector hanging close from the under dash panel that was covering access to the ecm this was where i sourced my power from...

hope that describes it well enough but here is the log and adx i use if anyone wants to take a look, 1st one happens at 1:45-1:46time(M:S) on the mon view. a look is probably worth more then my whole rambling description. to me its bazar but to you guys its probably something you have seen before, tomarrow i will do another log without the fan even hooked up and make sure the weirdness is gone

epdate: logs were taken in the order i list
    *log 1 with fan right by ecm/chip had 138 of these things
    *log 2 with fan still hooked up and running but laying on floor about 5 inches away had 1 of these things
    *log 3 and 4 had none (fan still running and same spot as 2
    *log 5 was really short log of just a few revs and shows only one just at the top of a quick rev.

just a querk or should this be telling me something?
    Last edited by xtreamvette69; 08-19-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    ok so i got bored and took pics, first two are of the fan i used, next one shows about how i was holding it up to the ecm and chip, and the third shows the courtsy light plug i sourced for power and its location..

just figure sometimes alot of error can be seen with pics, if you need to see anything better just ask as all these were hi def large pics that i resized as to not sponder a bunch of of storage space and bandwidth of this site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (92.5 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (106.1 KB, 4 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (171.6 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (154.3 KB, 4 views)

There's only one log in your post. But that data is not very good. Back to 160 vs 8192 baud, look at the hz reading bottom of TunerPro screen and it's all over the place.

Also if you track Desired AFR in OL it's all over the place and has some glitches...

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    There's only one log in your post. thats the one with fan on it, thought that was all that would be needed, i can post others like before and an after if helps But that data is not very good. Back to 160 vs 8192 baud, look at the hz reading bottom of TunerPro screen and it's all over the place.

Also if you track Desired AFR in OL it's all over the place and has some glitches...
    mhmm its all glitches, i wasnt watching the logs i was only trying to find the reason for the disconnect but upon reviewing the logs thats what i found lol

so you think fan noise caused that? are these ecms that touchy? if it picks that up i'm thinking there is a great possibility it is picking up something to trigger the disconnects..

here is a log from before the fan testing and one just after the fan testing(the one after still has the fan running but is obout 5" away from ecm.
    (caution.. somewhere before/durring or after i changed the timing) im thinking after disconnect though.

hmm desired afr is all glitched on those as well hmm maybe i should try some new files huh? tbh desired afr was one i really never looked at yet.

and all this is why i been scared to take my working old ecm back for core, i'm kinda thinking it worked better then this one after looking back at some logs of that ecm
    Last edited by xtreamvette69; 08-19-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Looks like the log with fan had way more of those dead spots?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Looks like the log with fan had way more of those dead spots?
    yep thats what i was pointing out. 138 of those dead spot/jumped spots to be exact lol, almost like interferance disrupting data flow or something.. i had no idea the ecm would or should be that touchy.. i'm ruling out coincedence as i have never had those jumped dead spots anytime before that fan was there running.. never had a chance today but will get another log asap without the fan running to see if it is gone. if so i will start beliving and thinking maybe i'm getting some sort of static/interferance in my data if ecm is that sensative to just that fan.

Fuel Injected!
    the ecus are very sensitive to noise so are aldl cables.thats why they fit resistor spark plugs to efi engines to stop RF interference.over here police cars had different ecu's with extra RF measures to handle all the extra electrical noise created by equipment.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    the ecus are very sensitive to noise so are aldl cables.thats why they fit resistor spark plugs to efi engines to stop RF interference.over here police cars had different ecu's with extra RF measures to handle all the extra electrical noise created by equipment.
    ahh thanks might explain alot... dang noise messin with my fun..
    *runs off to make a tin foil hat for my ecm*

seriously though then just having the metal calpac cover off the ecm could indead allow noise into the system easier as well then? guess i will add electrical noise to my list of problem sources to chase.

I always wondered about those ferret beads you put on cables. Moates even has one listed.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    there may be an easy fix for the cooling fan making the ecu freak out.have a look at the relay for the fan and see if the wire for fan power into relay pin 30 and power to the trigger coil are tied together.the ecu earths the power to trigger the fan and if they are sharing the same fuse you could be getting some serious noise issues

Super Moderator
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    there may be an easy fix for the cooling fan making the ecu freak out.have a look at the relay for the fan and see if the wire for fan power into relay pin 30 and power to the trigger coil are tied together.the ecu earths the power to trigger the fan and if they are sharing the same fuse you could be getting some serious noise issues
    the engine cooling fan is no longer the issue, sorry if was misleading but i was talking about the little fan i was using for a test on the ecm.. the logging errors/disconnects happen even when there is no engine fan running