Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DA Data Errors?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    yep cooling fan issue has been fixed, nothing shared just like the picture shows, relay connects through fusable link direct to battery.
    the engine cooling fan issue was not causing the logs to stop like the issue i have now, the engine cooling was causing the engine to just quit and ended up being a very bad bin/tune i was trying that a tuner had sent me, guess he was trying to get a customer maybe? i made and burnt a tune and that problem vanished. but thanks guys

Fuel Injected!
    ok time for update.. i got ahold of some time to do some playing and got some logs, now be aware these logs arent intended to show ideal tune abviously lol as i have been playing with alot of things mecanically in an effort to better understand what the ecm does and how it reacts, no better way then hands on right.

i tried not to make too many changes durring these log sessions however i will make you aware of changes if any i did durring these logs.

*log one was done using Marks adx that he posted to try out, it was from a cold start up till disconnect then left log going while i turned off key waited 20-30secs then it resumed. i did however forget to hit the record at the begining of the cold start lol but i can tell you that there were still the same AFR spikes on this as seem on mine.
    also toward the ending of this log (i'm sure you can see this) i did unhook the dist wire to check the initial timing.
    now a couple things i did notice watching this durring live data was that the HZ at the bottom were lower all accross the board then the others i've made.

*log 2 is a log i did using ADX that had body modified by one as RobertIsaar recomended. ran till disconnect.

*last log was using my same ADX i have been using with the listen for silace added and set at 20, i waited and waited but this one never disconnected and i got tired of waiting for it to so i just disconnected to end it. also somewhere in this log i realised that i had left the tps wrong durring all these so i set it to .55 then realised i ment to set correctly at .54 but didnt bother at this time lol

now the only other possible notable thing was that one of the logs when it error disconnected read only 3.28HZ at the bottom , now i do remember this was one of the first two logs but cant remember which for sure.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The ADX I put up for testing has the +1 also. But it has Connect 160 Baud and then Monitor data in 8192 with the 50ms pause as indicated in ALDL.ds file.

So did it get good data without loosing connection? I'm not quite clear on how you worded it?

EDIT: Looked good throughout. No dead spots. Your AIR is coming on and off...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    The ADX I put up for testing has the +1 also. But it has Connect 160 Baud and then Monitor data in 8192 with the 50ms pause as indicated in ALDL.ds file.

So did it get good data without loosing connection? I'm not quite clear on how you worded it? it disconnected at about the same time as all the rest have, although i must note that it did connect instantly unlike the others.(the log just started late as i forgot to hit record but you can see the disconnect as its right before the restart then the end was another disconnect) hope that helps better explain it.

EDIT: Looked good throughout. No dead spots. Your AIR is coming on and off...
    AIR? as in air/smog pump or as a/c? i dont have AIR pump but as i said dont see anywhere to shut anything to do with it off, and if a/c then that was off the whole time so idk what you mean?

as for any of those skip/jump type errors, non of these logs have those so in conclusion it was the little fan causing them i'm guessing as amazing as that seems.

AIR as in the AIR pump. Just checked on one of your ZZ4 bins you wer uploading to ZEDRATED was turned off by raising temp, but stoick bin is on. There is no XDF parameter for it so I added one.
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    ahhh ok i get it now , will check that out .. thanks

great i found it.. will have to see what it does next time i get a chance to experiment.. must be nice to just be able to find and add stuff, some day maybe i will understand enough to do that.. thanks again.

edit: ok so this is the info* i have been going off of but still nice to know that the solinoid activation circuit can be turned off(one less thing for the ecm to be doing)

*AIR delete. The air is only directed to the exhaust manifolds when the engine is warming up and in open loop. The O2 sensor is not used during warm up while the ECM is in open loop. Because of this, there is no need to worry about the offset for the O2.
    After warm up and ECM in closed loop, the ECM either directs air to the catalytic converter or diverts it to atmosphere depending on driving and engine conditions.
    so to disable/remove AIR, all that is required is to simply disconnect and plug off lines at the exhaust manifolds and converter. Disconnect the 2 plugs on the AIR solenoid valves. Remove the AIR equipment if you so desire. There is nothing that has to be done in the .bin. You could turn the flags off for it, but you don't need to.*
    Last edited by xtreamvette69; 08-21-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    The issue is that the only code that most of us are familiar with, that is used in the '7165, are $32, $32B and $6E. It could very well be possible that the code itself has connectivity issues.

As an example, I use the '7730/'7749 and have used different codes in them. Looking at my car directly. I have used $59 for years, without issue, quick connectivity and quite solid. There are a few data errors every now and then, but very few. I recently swapped to $58 for some testing and found that at times it takes longer to connect, and data errors are far more frequent. There is a patch that is said to get rid of this (and allow use of an AutoProm), that I haven't tried on my car yet, but have on another car it worked the way it was described. so that points to a code issue.

I will be testing $12P soon, since I am mostly done with the adapter harness.
    I forgot where I posted this to be able to update (I searched for a while in a different thread)...

After testing $12P in the '165 ECM, I am even more inclined to say that the ALDL connectivity issues are in the code, and not a hardware issue.

$12P connected solidly and never flaked out. I believe there were the occasional errors, but nothing more than I'm used to on other code in other ECMs.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    ive logged $12p for over 60 minutes of driving in one hit no errors even while emulating down the aldl connection at the same time as logging its solid LOL

So you guys never have data issues with $12p ?

That would kill the theory of it being hit or miss with ECM.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    do you have any other equipement on the 8192 aldl bus BCM ABS etc in these cars you are working with

I don't know the exact cars well enough to say for sure, but cars of that era here didn't have other modules, I think the Caddilac did.

Here's another issue pointing towards a code or hardware issue. Look at bold print! Are 85-86 cars having the issue? 87-98 cars or ECM not having issue?

DATA STREAM A28 SPECIFICATION

ENGINE USAGE:
    5.0L PFI CPC - (LB9) - (F) - 87,88 (160 & 8192 baud)
    5.0L PFI CPC - (LB9) - (F) - 86 (160 baud only)
    5.7L PFI CPC - (L98) - (8) - 87,88 (160 & 8192 baud)
    5.7L PFI CPC - (L98) - (8) - 85,86 (160 baud only)

DATA PIN : READ DATA ON PIN "E" OF ALDL CONNECTOR

BAUD RATE : 8192

MODES : DATA STREAM ATTACHED FOR ALDL MODE 1

THESE ENGINES USE A 'HYBRID' ECM, AND THE 8192 DATA
    COMMUNICATIONS OCCUR ON ALDL PIN 'E'
    Serial data shall be unidirectional from the ECM to a connected
    device at 160 baud when the ECM is not in the ALDL mode. When the
    ECM is in the ALDL mode (10k), the ECM shall transmit the normal
    25 parameter ALDL list at the 160 baud rate. The ECM shall then
    be moded to listen for a period of 50 ms for an inbound message
    from an ALDL test device at an 8192 baud rate. If a valid message
    is received, communications shall continue at an 8192 baud rate
    until a power down reset. Otherwise, the ECM shall be moded for
    160 baud, transmit the 25 parameter ALDL list and then listen for
    50 ms for an 8192 baud inbound message.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

-= =-