Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DA Data Errors?

Fuel Injected!

DA Data Errors?

i'm using tuner pro rt v.5 .. car is 85 corvette that has been converted to running the 165 ecm.

anyhow first off what are these errors and what causes them? i am assuming they pop up when for a split second the data isnt flowing and in a split sec it resumes its connection. but what causes this? or is it common? i read a few probs with the 165 ecm's and logging..

could this be a grounding quirk with the ecm or a power querk with the ecm? nothing leads me to belive either of those are an issue really but its possible because after further testing(only tested this far once so could just have been coincadense but i dont think so) anyhow the errors seem to get more frequent as the engine gets up to operating temp and even more frequent as it climbs a bit hot and at about 217-220*F tuner pro just stopped renewing data and just sat saying connecting... any ideas? if not i still would like to know what causes the few randome ones as well.....

also should not this was all durring a recorded log, i dont know if that makes a diff or not in amount of errors or not but figured i would mention it.

Fuel Injected!
    are the errors regular on off on off on off and data jumping around or just the odd error and data looks good.if its continous on off on check the adx aldl echo setting.if its not echo problems you may have to edit the time delays in the adx

Fuel Injected!
    it starts out as just very very few random errors, data looks good, only sign thats noticable with the errors is just the red error blink... but as i said not many and random .

as it gets toward operating temp though the error is almost a blink on..off..on..off. pretty consistant pattern then as engine gets warmer the eror just turns into connecting message, no data changes.

Fuel Injected!
    what adx are you using for logging link it up

Fuel Injected!
    using arap bin, $6E def file and 1227165_6E.adx

Fuel Injected!
    hmm ok so i'm still having this issue or having it again or got worse or something but it is a lil differant now that i edited the adx file to get rid of the DA data errors...i have read through many of the issue threads here as well as all around the net and most of what i see is problems getting it to work(initial connection) but no probs after that.

oh also failed to mention i am using the moates cable ('ALDU1 and CABL1')pricey lil bugger, sorry mark i didnt know there were any avalible on this site.. and cheaper too..
    kinda thinking maybe sendin an email to moates about this see if he has any ideas, because for that much money for a cable i should deserve a lil support lol.

now what it is doing is working great, may take up to 20 tries showing data error till it connects(that speed has progressivly gotten worse it seems from what it use to be).

anyhow once connected works great was logging for many mins at a time(probably 5mins - 10mins no issues, but lately it is more like just a few mins(about the time it takes to get from cold to 170* sometimes almost 200* then bam..bombardment of red flash data errors, data doesnt update, if recording log it quits recording and it never recovers the connection.
    click disconnect then reconnect = red flashy data errors, no connect.
    close tunerpro then open it= red flashy data errors, no connect.
    key off 20-40 seconds then on(read post talking bout this by moates someplace)= red flashy errors
    even reboot pc doesnt always cure it, almost like its a time delay or temp that needs to cool off issue.

so to recap.. for a while after fixing errors with by editing ADX files with a pause/silance also fixed one with the adding 1 trick= all was well, never lost connection or had any problems. it was always me stopping the recordings not tunerpro having errors.
    now after random length of time(usually less then a few mins) TP just starts erroring out (constant flash of error/connecting just like unplugging it) also same end result as unplugging it.
    cant reconnect till it wants me to it seems, have tried a few ways.

any ideas? its back to almost being unusable again or at least not efficiant to run a recorded log session only to find that TP stopped responding long before you were done, so you have to do it all over again.
    Last edited by xtreamvette69; 08-17-2013 at 08:36 AM.

I've been reading stories like that with $6E data for years....

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    thats not helping and not what i want to hear.
    why so random though, for days perfectly behaved then bam, nothing but troubles?
    why do some never have problems? seems unlikely that the ecm's are just flakey on diff levels and random times.. must be some sorta trigger although i dont see odd behaviour on logs before it happens... i just feel i'm missing something here.

oh and did i mention this is a new rebuilt ecm as well.

i'm getting ohh soooo close to just getting a megasquirt and being done with this other factory stuff. not really but have been thinking strongly about it.
    Last edited by xtreamvette69; 08-17-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Super Moderator
    i don't think it is a 6E issue so much as the 7165 in general. some are just really flakey when it comes to comms.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    does it only happen with 6E or all code bases.are the sensor grounds and ecu grounds earthed seperate and do you have hard drive protection on your laptop it can cause logging issues when it stops the HD spinning when you bump your laptop causing log issues

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#000000
    RobertIsaar][/COLOR] i don't think it is a 6E issue so much as the 7165 in general. some are just really flakey when it comes to comms.
    behaves same as it did with the old other ecm. but why was it doing so good then with no changes now so bad? why so random and yet consistant?i can connect and disconnect from it indefinatly without issues probablyforever but once log/record a while it wont let me connect no matter what i try till its ready. think more or less delay(listen for silance would help?) oh and i just checked and saw that moates just updated his driver install exe, think it was updated for a reason or just because the chip manufacturer has new drivers up?

Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    does it only happen with 6E or all code bases.are the sensor grounds and ecu grounds earthed seperate and do you have hard drive protection on your laptop it can cause logging issues when it stops the HD spinning when you bump your laptop causing log issues
    not sure about anything else except the 6E as thats all i've used it for l8ly, it did log the old 870 ecm fine without issues. but then again it was logging the 165ecm without issues as well.

as for grounds, the harness has only been repinned to the 165 ecm so grounds are same as the would be on a 86 vette, i have checked them and cleaned them as well as added more.. like i said all problems seemed gone and all was working great then it just started this behaviour all over again.

i do have HD protection on this lappy and it is on but wasnt giving any issues just before this and doubt its activating as it will data error jus setting still in ideling car on the seat(guess next try i should watch to make sure the HDD protection doesnt activate but doubting it does)

like i said though, the oddest part about it even though random seems to be that it only does it once car is warmed up.. usually 170*-200* then doesnt want to reconnect till some time passes or car cools some. might be coincadence but seems odd.

also as i said logs dont seem to show any odd voltage etc before it happens unless im overlooking it. reason i say unless i'm overlooking it is because one of the last times it happened i noticed something i thought odd(my oil pressure gauge on dash usually displays 80# at idle or close, sometimes dropping to 79 but the last time TP errored out my gauge dropped to 55 just before or as it started erroring) i really should investigate that gauge sending unit and wiring though anyhow because setting at 80 always at idle jus seems odd as well.

also TP is in record mode when this happens, could that be important? i should hook to and log it just with key on engine off, log and record key on engine off, log running, log and record running.. just to try and nerrow down and or eliminate possibilities, think that would be a good idea?
    Last edited by xtreamvette69; 08-17-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    ok did further testing and these are my findings on what i checked, idk if any help or not.. i just dont know what else to check.
    i checked and will add that FTDI is on com 4 and driver ver is 2.8.24.0

---cold engine (hasnt been run in past 24hrs)
    ---key on engine off took 37 errors to finally connect.
    ---connected and logging/recording @ 3:25pm, TP is running at 8:21-9:86HZ
    ---at 3:35pm i activate HDD protection by shaking pc=no errors or problems.
    ---at 3:38pm the ecm case and chip are at 79*f
    ---at 3:40pm i start the engine TP still logging and still recording.(no new errors)
    ---at 3:58pm engine is now up to 203*f and fan has kicked on. (no new errors)
    ---at 3:59pm just almost exactly as fan kicks off (errors begin flashing and no connect) ecm case temp is @ 90*f and chip is @91*f...........................
    .................................................. ...............................................
    ---after trying everything such as shut down TP then restart=nothing
    ---key off wait/ key on= nothing
    ---disconnect everything/ reconnect=nothing
    ---blow on ecm/chip
    ---4:08pm finally try to connect after blowing on ecm/chip ecm is 77* and chip is 78* car 197*f i get 16 errors then a connect. (ecm and chip temps coincedence?)
    ---4:12pm i start car still logging but no record
    ---4:16pm i get just one data error glitch
    ---4:17pm constant errors and not able to log or connect again... ecm case was only up to 84-85.5*f and chip was 93*f-96*f
    ---------------this was the end of my testing-----------------
    all testing was done under the mild conditions of just setting and idling.
    also keep in mind that it is an infered temp gun and being closer or further away and angle effect it some, so temp may not all be exact but close.

another test i did When TP lost connection and wouldnt connect besides trying the handheld, i also tried to jump A&B terminals ALDL and that was working perfectly..fan came on and started flashing the all ok code 12.
    Last edited by xtreamvette69; 08-18-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    burn a different code onto an eprom even if it doesnt suit the car and swap codes once upto temp and see if you can connect

That would see if it was the mask... so maybe $32?

But as Robert said he does not beleive it is $6E and it is ECM, when I said I've been reading those stories for years it just happens to be $6E, but your temp testing is sure pointing at a ECM issue!

Some guys with that ECM have no issue...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    32, 32B and 6E, i've seen all of them do it to some degree. i really have no idea why either. it's one of the reasons i've shied away from anything 7165 powered.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E