Thread: Headers and o2 sensors

Headers and o2 sensors

So I finally got my headers installed on my cherokee. Now I need to mount my o2 sensors (nb and wb) I am running a heated o2 sensor, plus I coated the headers in techline ceramic coating to help keep the heat inside the exhaust. I seem to remember reading on here a time or two about o2 sensor placement behind a header collector and something about specific distances away from it. The collectors on these seem a somewhat decent length. I bought some flanges and welded me on a couple short peices of pipe for the exhaust shop to connect to. Take a look at the picture and tell me, would mounting the o2 sensor a couple inches behind the flange be a sufficent distance from the coollector? Or should it be further back?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

It'll be fine a couple inches behind the flange. I've mounted them in the collector with no negative results.

You don't want the O2 sensors too far away from the exhaust port, because this will skew timing between when the actual combustion happened, and how long it takes for the sensor(s) to pick it up.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Seems like I remembered reading you didnt want them too close cause you wanted enough space/time for the exhaust to mix all 4 cylinders together so you didnt pick up readings from just one or two cylinders. I just wasnt sure if that was far enough back.
    Mounting them there will be further away from the heads than I had them before, with my stock manifolds, but still closer to the heads than a stock 16197427 equiped chevy truck. I have not changed any o2 sensor paramiters in my bin.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

ANywhere in that pipe behind header will be fine. Problem with mounting in some header is the O2 sensor get's just one cylinder.

The bin adjustment for moving an O2 sensor is INT Vs Airflow... may be titled different in masks.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

As Eagle said, anywhere in that collector is OK, but generally MUST run heated as you are. If not heated, logging will periodically produce Open Loop samples at low RPM because there is not enough heat to activate the sensor; and that produces erratic results for VE adjustment if those OL samples occur and are not removed from the log before analysis.