Thread: TBI install on Fresh Rebuilt 350 & a Newbie Programmer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Electronic Ignition!

Smile TBI install on Fresh Rebuilt 350 & a Newbie Programmer

Hi Everyone,

This is my first venture into the tuning world and my second post onto this forum. I just purchased the Moates APU1 system and I have the new adapter soldered into my board and I'm ready to burn a BIN file. I'm looking for any warnings or advice on the risk during initial start up with a fresh motor that hs never started and is not broken in.

I have an entire TBI and ignition system from an 88 Suburban that had auto tranny (7747 ECM). I also took the intake manifold. This is installed into my Jeep CJ5 with a Chevy 350 and 4spd manual (1975 motor w/wedge smog heads). I rebuilt the engine with some light upgrades in performance:
    • Bored .030 over
    • Decked block (between boring out and decking the compression should be about 0.5 higher)
    • Low RPM torque cam Summit pt# 1102 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-1102)
    • Three angle valve seat job.

Before purchasing the Moates hardware I tried starting it with the stock chip and discovered after much cranking that the injectors were flooding the engine. The base timing is set to 0 degrees. TDC on #1 is correct and verified by hard stop method. The motor will pop off at WOT but then it starts the excess flooded fuel on fire. I verified grounds are all terminated, MAP is going to intake vacuum port in runner. All sensors are hooked up (with exception of VSS).

To trouble shoot the rich condition I decided to purchase the APU1 and just get it running for starters. Then tuning after that. After some struggling I have figured out how to burn a BIN file onto my new chip (I feel like having a party to have gotten this far!). If I had done no mods to the engine I would just install it and try starting again and then start trouble shooting with the logging/scanner capability of TunerProRT version 5.0 that I have. However, since I have mods to the engine described above and the motor is not broken in, is there a risk that a stock tune could damage the engine? This is my #1 question right now.

From what I've read for a beginner programmer like me, making mods to timing and VE tables is not the place to start. At this point I've read a lot. I think it's time to start trying to ask a couple questions before I take the next step. Any comments appreciated!

Fuel Injected!
    I would check the fuel pressure,should be around 12lbs, check cts sensor and wiring, check map voltage when it starts should go from 4somthing down to 1-1.2, tps voltage should be around .50-.75. check for vacuum leaks it should start an run without the chip in it if everything is correct. it runs on a I think its called a nuetris chip it go into limp home mode. check for bad grounds also. fuel return line?
    Last edited by ony; 08-03-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Which BCC are you using? You might want to start with a manual bin, it will make your life easier. I believe that ASDX is the bin you might want to start with, it is located on this site and Mark has an excellent ADX and XDF for it. For first start up, do the cam breakin routine. 2000-2500 rpm for 20 minutes. remember the ZPF.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

I would check the CTS like ony said. Seems I remember a thread on here where soeone had a simillar issue with it flooding badly when trying to start, and I think it ended up being a bad CTS. Seems I remember reading that when they go bad, the ecm peggs at -40 degrees and it pours the fuel to the engine to try and get it to crank.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

That cam should not cause a super rich condition? So if you don't have a vacuum leak? Check fuel pressure, lot's of times on conversions the return line is not clear and this will raise pressure!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    • For checking sensor voltages I'd like to use the datalogging/scanning capability of TunerPro. That's what I'm going to try tomorrow. It's not clear to me how this will show up in the software, but I have the ALDL harness wired in so we'll see what happens. I'm told I should be able to see cranking RPM of the motor too and verify that temp sensors are at ambient (even without the engine turning over too).

• Found the ASDX BIN. I'll go with that one. As far as the XDF and ADX, I found a couple on the "1227747 ECM Information $42 thread". None of them refer to ASDX, the XDF I loaded is "$42-1227747-V5.9.3.xdf" and the ADX is $42-1227747-V3T.adx". Were you referring to some different XDF and ADX files for the ASDX BIN? Also, what does the acronym BCC mean?

• Cam break in- 20 minutes running at a high idle sounds scary considering I just installed the TBI system too but I guess I have no other option here. The ZPF is some sort of zinc additive I assume. That is what I have in there.

• Fuel pressure- I haven't checked up to this point because I have all the matched OEM components including a new fuel pump from Autozone. The pump is installed into a tank that I built and it has a return line plumbed in too. I have a little cheap analogue fuel pressure gauge with 1/8npt male stud on it. I haven't installed it because there isn't a place to tap into it after the regulator in the cast housing of the TBI unit and I figured it would be useless to tap into the line before the regulator. So I don't disagree that I should verify fuel pressure but I considered it low risk at this stage. I assume more likely there's a disconnected wire or vacuum line somewhere that is escaping me. Hopefully the logger/scanner will help me find it. if anyone has a way they have checked TBI fuel pressure I would like to hear it. I contemplated taking the little cast piece off that connects the regulator to the injectors and drilling and tapping a 1/8NPT hole into it.