Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TBI install on Fresh Rebuilt 350 & a Newbie Programmer

Electronic Ignition!

Update: it runs! New issues now!

I brought the vehicle in to TPIS in Chaska, MN and paid them to see why it wouldn't start. They found that a pin was folded over in the distributor coupler. After starting the engine began to smoke.They advised me to pull the motor out and tear it down to inspect for trouble. Everything checked out okay. I brought it back to them out of the vehicle and they broke it in on their engine dyno and gave me a custom tune for the motor. They also replaced both injectors with new ones and ultra sonically cleaned up the throttle body unit. (I got 270HP, 360Ft-Lbs).

Fast forward to last week: I put it back in the vehicle and drove it a couple miles down the road with a big smile on my face. Then... I noticed smoking out of left side bank when accelerating(I have full dual exhaust) and it died. It will idle but then stumble and die when getting on the gas. Left side exhaust is soaked in fluid not sure what type it is. Sounds like it's running out of gas. Fuel pressure checks out at 12-13PSI. Here's a couple log files I created after it started running poorly. Couple things that catch my eye are the extremely high injector duty cycle. Also the spark advance goes high too. (when I say high that's because you (EagleMark) have it display as red in the tuner data view window). Once it sits for hours/overnight it goes back to normal running for a short time on start up. Anybody care to take look at the log files?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I looked at all your logs, very short logs of idle and a rev up but no driving, looks to idle OK.

Spark advance and injector duty cycle are high because they are not working! Doesn't look like the patch was ever applied to the bin file... so the data there is wrong!

So was it smoking and leaking on the engine dyno? Sounds like it needs a head gasket or something surfaced straigt if it happens hot and not cold..

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I looked at all your logs, very short logs of idle and a rev up but no driving, looks to idle OK.

Spark advance and injector duty cycle are high because they are not working! Doesn't look like the patch was ever applied to the bin file... so the data there is wrong!

So was it smoking and leaking on the engine dyno? Sounds like it needs a head gasket or something surfaced straigt if it happens hot and not cold..
    It looks like the patch was not applied. I don't know how or where they got the BIN file from and what software they used. So if I want to see those values in TP I should apply the patch and burn the modified program to the chip? I think I better wait until I talk to them before I modify the BIN. I have attached a copy of it here. I couldn't find any differences (fuel or spark at least) in their BIN file than any of the ones I pulled off of this forum. They said when I picked up the motor they didn't care if I posted the BIN file on here.

They didn't tell me the motor was smoking on the dyno. The leaking is really a wet inner wall on the left side exhaust that is smoking on acceleration. I have yet to let them know what's going on. They are real busy this time of year and I want to be able to give them some information for them to better help me trouble shoot the problem. I figured I should run it long enough down the road to get it hot and warmed up. Problem is now I can't because it will die. When I was accelerating the engine for the data log I posted on here it was not a nice and healthy sounding throttle response. I'll go ahead and start logging data before I start it and then try to drive it around the block quick and keep it recording until it starts running poor again and dies.

Cylinder #3 spark plug was a little darker in color than the nice light brown color on the electrodes of Cylinders 1, 5 and 7. Also I don't have the VSS hooked up as of yet. I just mounted it on the vehicle this morning and I'll finish that installation before I run it again. I figured this couldn't be causing all my troubles right now up to this point.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Look at VE1 and VE2, now add them up and tell me how many percent of VE your engine has?

Also look at PE AFR.. this is what we call a PE Rape Dyno Tune!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-