Thread: Taking advantage of Power Steering sensor in ECM?

Taking advantage of Power Steering sensor in ECM?

I've seen this paremeter in ECMs and I hope the 427 has it. But how do you hook it up from ECM to PS? Is there a sensor somewhere I have not noticed? Would like to take advantage of this option on the kids new IH Pickup when I do EFI.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Re: Taking advantage of Power Steering sensor in ECM?

Yes, there is a pressure sensor in the high pressure line, that detects when the steering is at the end of the throw. Pressure spikes, and in turn when the sensor sends this info to the ECM, it raises target idle to combat stalling. Might even affect some of the stall saver parameters, but I haven't really looked into it too closely.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Know of any good donor cars to get this sensor from that could be mounted inline of conversion vehicle?

Do you know if it is available in the 427 PCM?

Reason I want to incorperate this into the kids new EFI system is the truck is going to be used as a tow rig and right now with the idle set low and turn the steering wheel it will idle lower and want to stall. I'm sure it will idle better with EFI but then he's going to add bigger tires which will make it worse. Truck has a granny first and reverse so backing up and pulling a trailer around close places in first gear will be good. But a little boost to idle when steering would be very cool!

Also any electric fans settings in a 427? Anything else in a 427 I should take advantage of?

-= =-

I haven't looked for any power steering input parameters for the '427, so I don't know.

I have a whole thread, linked in the FAQ about adding E-fan control to $0D and $0E.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!

The spare LT1 I have (from a 95 buick roadmaster) came with a power steering pump that has a sensor on it. I think it is a saginaw style pump. You would need a remote reservoir too.

On my large tired jeeps I have been using PS pumps from GM vehicles with hydroboost. The last one was from a astrovan and I used the pump and the remote reservoir from that vehicle.
    They tend to have more volume and pressure to compensate for the hydroboost and will bolt right up wherever the canned ham style pumps do. This combined with the larger piston steering box pushes my 36" swampers around without a problem.

I've got 2 complete Hydroboost setups here from one tone trucks we may use as well. Just curious as to the sensor.

-= =-

I know the J-bodies that used this sensor had it located in the pressure line, near the rack (which was mounted half way up the firewall), under the brake booster. I've seen a few other vehicles with the same or similar sensor location (being in the high pressure hose near the rack/box).

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark
    Do you know if it is available in the 427 PCM?
    Yes there are quite a few PS parameters in both the $0D and $0E. I think you would just have to enable it in the flags, and figure out where to pin it into on the connector.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Well good, now we can go find some up at Garwood next week!

-= =-