Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vehicle speed sensor

Quote Originally Posted by bonnieclyde100 View Post
    could you give me a little info on how to change bin for my trans because i also have another truck with a manuel shift trans also?
    There's a Bitmask to check for manual trans, then turn off all transmission error codes.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

my injectors are pretty old but seem to work fine in the truck they are in now. what injectors do you recommend for my truck and where should i look to buy them because summit only has one kind to fit this throttle body part number 522-54 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-522-54/overview/ let me know what you think?

just found out they dont fit my tbi there does not seem to be replacements so i will have to stick with gm tbi
    Those are the good injectors, yours are probably the ones with a round cap on top? Which are the old problematic ones. But even the new ones are 65 lb/hr x 4! Stock 5.7L are 61 lb/hr x2. To simplify math the Holley four barrel doubles fuel! This is an issue at idle and well you really need 350-400 ++ HP to need all four of those injectors.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    There's a Bitmask to check for manual trans, then turn off all transmission error codes.
    do the same for 700r4?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Yep, I know the sensors well, Painless also sells the sensors.

To retain cruise you will likely need to use a DRAC to properly split the signal. I'm not sure how well just connecting the VSS to both the ECM and the cruise will work.

You need a program to modify the bin file. I use Tuner Pro RT V5, though there are some others out there as well. In that program it will display the bin file in a way that a human can understand the data, and allow changes. You then program the modified bin to an EEPROM and place it in the ECM, either in a modified MEMCAL, or MEMCAL adapter.
    the painless sensor is more than double the cost of the jags that run one is

The Painless has gone way up in price. Regardless of price, I was just mentioning that other people sell them.

I've made my own, but it was hokey.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

You can email JTR, and they will answer you fairly quick. I just got the 2 wire conversion for my swap, but I am not using cruise...
    Last edited by mytmouz; 08-01-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
    You can email JTR, and they will answer you fairly quick. I just got the 2 wire conversion for my swap, but I am using cruise...
    i plan on running cruise to so which one is the 2 wire conversion?

i plan on running cruise to so which one is the 2 wire conversion?

I edited my post, was typing on my phone when I replied, I am NOT running the cruise. The 2 wire is 2JPS though...

Electronic Ignition!
    IIRC 93 Chevy trucks with 700R4 had electronic vss. To retain the cable driven 69 speedo you'll have to install a speed sensor and cable drive. Jags that run has a sensor to do this, or search autozone for a vss for a 93 Caprice (autozone p/n SU1112). They both put out an ac signal so a DRAC would be needed also. The DRAC will convert the vss output into two square wave signals 2000 pulses per mile (PPM) for the PCM and 4000 PPM for the cruise control. Hope that helps some.

Fuel Injected!
    I have a couple of questions.

Which cruise are you installing, GM or aftermarket? The aftermarket Rostra units will work with the 2000 pulse per mile sensor and I have to believe both that cruise and the PCM couldn't run off the 2-pulse JTR sensor in parallel.

Are you running an electronic speedometer? Some electronic speedometers have the ability to output a speed pulse signal of 2000ppm and/or 4000ppm which might just be useful to feed both the cruise and the PCM.

And a question for those with experience using that PCM - Can it run the torque converter lockup?

Fuel Injected!
    i plan on a gm cruise control. but i am still not sure which sensor to use if i use the vssb to split the signal . the factory sensors are a 40 pulse per revolution and the sensors i need to run a speedo cable and electronic are either 2 pulse or 4 pulse will it work right no being a 40 pulse

Electronic Ignition!
    GM cruise needs 4000 ppm and the ecu needs 2000 ppm. The sensors you were looking at give either two or four pulses per revolution. You best option may be to use this (http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...uctorRing.html) from JTR. It will allow you to retain the Forty tooth tone ring and a speedo gear. JTR has other info on there site for what you are trying to do. Also for vssb there is a lot of info here on gearhead but tbichips has a good write up too on VSSB/DRAC that should answer those questions. Here's a link to tbichips: http://www.tbichips.com/drac/.

Fuel Injected!
    yea i read that article already and plan on doing that to my truck i might have to break down and put in an electronic speedometer in my truck and go back to the electric sensor the trasns had in it and do away with the cable it will be more accurite anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by dumb_dog View Post
    GM cruise needs 4000 ppm and the ecu needs 2000 ppm. The sensors you were looking at give either two or four pulses per revolution. You best option may be to use this (http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...uctorRing.html) from JTR. It will allow you to retain the Forty tooth tone ring and a speedo gear. JTR has other info on there site for what you are trying to do. Also for vssb there is a lot of info here on gearhead but tbichips has a good write up too on VSSB/DRAC that should answer those questions. Here's a link to tbichips: http://www.tbichips.com/drac/.