Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vehicle speed sensor

Fuel Injected!

vehicle speed sensor

i have a 1969 chevy truck that i am putting an engine from a 1993 chevy truck in it with a 700r4 tranny. i am keeping the factory speedometer from the 69 but i need to hook up a vss so i can hook it to the pcm and also to run cruise. i found 2 from the jags that run website that wire up to the computer but i am not sure which one to use the 2prs or the 4pac sensor i would call and ask them but they dont talk to there customers. can someone please help?

Are you sure it's a 700R4 and not a 4L60E?

What ECM are you using? that will be a key factor in choosing the correct VSS.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    yes it did not come from the same truck it came from an 80s astro van. i got it before the engine when i still had factory engine. that engine had a couple of cracks in it so i had to change it and now i want tbi.

Ok.

What ECM do you have to use?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    i will see when i get home tonite.

Fuel Injected!
    my computer is 16168625

Fuel Injected!
    also i had my computer upgraded to handle 4 injectors because i want to run a holley 4di projection throttle body with it. do you think i will have any problems hooking up any of the sensors from the throttle body to the gm pcm do the throttle position and iac motor work the same as the gm units? also do you think i will have to tune it way down to compensate for the 2 extra injectors?

I wouldn't use the Holley throttle body. The injectors are known to go bad. They also seem to be difficult to tune with.

The PCM you have is meant to be use with an E trans. You will need to modify the BIN file right off the bat, snce you are using a non-E trans.

IIRC, you can use the 2 PPR VSS with this ECM, but the bin has to be set to "VSS not from DRAC". This setting should be in scalers (When using Tuner Pro). I used a 16197427 PCM in a conversion, and initially it was with a non-E trans, and used a 2 PPR VSS. This is a similar PCM to what you have.

What exactly did you have changed in the PCM to run 4 injectors? I've ran custom 4 bbl TBIs with bone stock PCMs without issue.

He may need a DRAC/VSSB for accurate MPH to run his Cruise Control?

Unless this motor is a monster and needs a TON of fuel? I'd look for GM TBI unit. Those Holley injectors put out TONS of fuel! Not very well either when it comes to idle, off idle, low RPM... but man can they dump fuel at WOT! There's a lot of different Holley injectors too, the early ones suck big time... find out what size they are and at what pressure?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    I was thinking DRAC initially, but somehow forgot about it while I was typing my reply...

In that case the 4 PPR VSS would be best, when using a DRAC.

I don't recall if there is a higher PPR unit available. IIRC the stock reluctor ring for the VSS is a 40 PPR in those trucks.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I wouldn't use the Holley throttle body. The injectors are known to go bad. They also seem to be difficult to tune with.

The PCM you have is meant to be use with an E trans. You will need to modify the BIN file right off the bat, snce you are using a non-E trans.

IIRC, you can use the 2 PPR VSS with this ECM, but the bin has to be set to "VSS not from DRAC". This setting should be in scalers (When using Tuner Pro). I used a 16197427 PCM in a conversion, and initially it was with a non-E trans, and used a 2 PPR VSS. This is a similar PCM to what you have.

What exactly did you have changed in the PCM to run 4 injectors? I've ran custom 4 bbl TBIs with bone stock PCMs without issue.
    i dont know dynamic efi did the upgrade for me.

Fuel Injected!

could you give me a little info on how to change bin for my trans because i also have another truck with a manuel shift trans also?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post

Unless this motor is a monster and needs a TON of fuel? I'd look for GM TBI unit. Those Holley injectors put out TONS of fuel! Not very well either when it comes to idle, off idle, low RPM... but man can they dump fuel at WOT! There's a lot of different Holley injectors too, the early ones suck big time... find out what size they are and at what pressure?
    my injectors are pretty old but seem to work fine in the truck they are in now. what injectors do you recommend for my truck and where should i look to buy them because summit only has one kind to fit this throttle body part number 522-54 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-522-54/overview/ let me know what you think?

just found out they dont fit my tbi there does not seem to be replacements so i will have to stick with gm tbi
    Last edited by bonnieclyde100; 08-01-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    I was thinking DRAC initially, but somehow forgot about it while I was typing my reply...

In that case the 4 PPR VSS would be best, when using a DRAC.

I don't recall if there is a higher PPR unit available. IIRC the stock reluctor ring for the VSS is a 40 PPR in those trucks.
    the 2 sensors i was talking about were disigned to be hooked directly to the ecm without the buffer or the drac.

Stealth Conversions has several types of vehicle speed sensors designed for easy installation. They wire up directly to
    the ECM—they do not require a buffer or DRAC module. All Stealth Conversions VSS units have CARB EO numbers
    (#D-371)—they are smog legal for engine swaps.
    Shown above are:
    1. Part #2PRS. The two-pulse square wave unit for all passenger car TBI installations, all computer
    controlled carbureted engines, and 1985-1989 TPI engines. 7/8-18 thread, .104" square drive.
    2. Part # 2PRS-TOY.Two-pulse for Toyota. Same as above, except for 22 mm metric threads, and
    .187 tang drive which fits Toyota transmissions and transfer cases.
    3. Part # 2PRS-EXT. Two-pulse square wave with extension cable, 10" long, 7/8-18 male to 7/8-18
    female with .104" square drive.
    4. Part # 4PAC-EXT. Four-pulse sine wave with 10" extension. Use for 1990-1993 TPI V8, 3.1 V6,
    and 3.4 V6.
    5. Part # 4PAC. Four-pulse sine wave. Same as above, except without extension cable.
    6. Part # 4PAC-TOY. Four-pulse sine wave for Toyota with 22 mm metric thread and .187 tang drive.
    7. Part # 2X90. Dual output 90° angle drive. Use on Jaguars with electric speedometers. Allows
    connecting Jaguar XJ-S transducer on one end to operate Jaguar speedometer, and connecting
    two-pulse or four-pulse unit on other end for Chevrolet ECM. XJ-6 Jaguars must use tranducer
    from XJ-S

Yep, I know the sensors well, Painless also sells the sensors.

To retain cruise you will likely need to use a DRAC to properly split the signal. I'm not sure how well just connecting the VSS to both the ECM and the cruise will work.

You need a program to modify the bin file. I use Tuner Pro RT V5, though there are some others out there as well. In that program it will display the bin file in a way that a human can understand the data, and allow changes. You then program the modified bin to an EEPROM and place it in the ECM, either in a modified MEMCAL, or MEMCAL adapter.