Thread: Can anyone identify this?

Electronic Ignition!

Can anyone identify this?

Hi, I'm working on a project which includes a GM fuel injection system that was put on a Lotus in the late 80s... anyone familiar with this fitting on the fuel rail, and if it can be rebuilt/removed without damage? Any idea what the connection is?

It looks like a 19mm fitting of some kind for the return..I'm trying to convert this over to something a bit more advanced than a made-up L shape hard pipe that goes to a rubber hose, as it was when I got the car..
    gm-efi1.JPGgm-efi2.JPG
    Any ideas are appreciated - thanks!

Pete

Administrator
    It looks vaguely like the fittings used on the return lines on US cars but those fittings attach to the OEM GM pressure regulator. Locate a picture of a fuel rail from a 1993 Cavalier with 2.2 liter engine. Also, this may be a long shot but look for pictures of the fuel rail on the 2.3l "Quad 4" engine found in some Olds Cutlass and Pontiac Grand Am vehicles. That was designed by Lotus and used in GM vehicles.

Fuel Injected!
    that looks a lot like the fuel rail on my wifes 2.2 s10

I would say remove the fitting and see what the threads are on the other end. Those may be something you can work with. If it were mine and I couldn't find something suitable to screw into the rail, I would just tig weld whatever fitting I wanted to either the rail, or the steel fitting. That is an option if you know anyone with a tig welder.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks for the info everyone - Just a couple questions, though... I can't take the black fitting off...even new rails I saw advertised show this fitting on the end...anyone know what holds it in? It just spins in place...can't seem to see any sort of circlip or anything holding it in.

I could go the TIG weld route, just looking for any last chance solutions before getting creative. The mention of the black connector going into the regulator...I saw a few photos from Cavaliers/etc, and the regulator seemed to be on the opposite end from the black connector (just as mine is)...or am I just looking at another application? The regulator i can get off easily...

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    I would say remove the fitting and see what the threads are on the other end. Those may be something you can work with. If it were mine and I couldn't find something suitable to screw into the rail, I would just tig weld whatever fitting I wanted to either the rail, or the steel fitting. That is an option if you know anyone with a tig welder.

Oh, I didn't realize it doesn't come out. If you can't see any clips or retainers then there is probalby an o-ring between the two and the steel fitting is swaged from the inside out into a groove in the rail. You say that you have a length of hardline with the mating fitting? You could cut it shorter, and use a tube sleeve and nut with a 37* flare to convert to -6 AN, or whatever.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Electronic Ignition!
    One last shot at this before I start hacking into this...anyone have any tips on getting the black fitting in the earlier post taken off the rail? Definitely doesn't seem to want to pop out..and there's not much to lock onto for leverage...plus being aluminum, I don't want to damage it... Pete

Electronic Ignition!
    I got the fitting out..not sure I know what I need to get it back together (I'll probably just have it welded). Here's what it looked like when i got it apart, thanks to a long steel rod... A fitting with two o rings, and a pressed in metal gasket of somekind. Looks like it's a one way job, though..that fitting is meant to go together and stay together..unless someone has seen a replacement before!

IMG_7540.jpgIMG_7543.jpg

Pete

yea I would just weld the thing with some standard fitting. Didn't those british cars use Witworth threads? LOL no thanks!
    1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

Looks to me like it was stacked in place. So either welding a new fitting in or threading it will probably be your best bets.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.