Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: having trouble connecting to pcm

Electronic Ignition!

having trouble connecting to pcm

to catch you guys up i have been on ls1tech (thread) and I am coming here to try to get my information on the subject.

I have not been able to get my laptop to hook up to my pcm using tunerpro RT until recently using some of eaglemark's files i got it to at least acknowledge the fact that it was hooked up but it is not reading any info and the error light is just flashing constantly, any ideas?

94' LT1 camaro, not original computer tho

CEL flashing constantly means ECM/PCM error, usually a bad flash. It won't get any data like this...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    ok, so your saying that with key on engine off and the cel staying on constantly it has a bad pcm flash? My cel doesnt flash it just comes on when I turn the key before I start the car. The car does run, im not sure if it had a bad flash that it would run would it?
    Last edited by englundjd; 07-27-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by englundjd View Post
    it is not reading any info and the error light is just flashing constantly, any ideas?
    In your first post you stated that it was flashing.

Maybe if you can post a video of trying to connect it would help to see what is going on.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    When the chip is corrupted or missing the CEL will flash constantly with key on engine running I know.
    Check to make sure it has a chip installed!
    A buddy bought a car that had sat for a long time (89 caprice),got it running but idled rich and flashed cel constantly.
    Turns out a reman ECM had been installed but they did not install the prom from the old ecm like the the big red and white sticker on the front said to do.
    So it had been running for a couple years on the backup chip only.

If it isn't flashing,than it might just be prove-out?
    Most all the idiot lights will "prove out" on initial key on,though they should mostly all go back off.
    The oil and batt lights will stay on because at that moment there is no oil pressure or charging voltage.
    Don't thinkit should stay on.

check and make sure someone hasn't shorted a couple of the ALDL wires,saw that on a cadillac once.
    They had jumpered a couple pins behind the plug to stop and airride issue from flagging.
    kinda worked,but was wrong way to do it,they had it in diagnostic or test mode constantly I think it was.
    Last edited by Playtoy_18; 07-27-2013 at 03:04 AM.

He's got a LT1 Flash PCM so no chip. But I believe the CEL scenario is the same. With key on CEL should come on, blink and stay on till engine starts then go off. Flashing is always a bad thing...

So what happened to original PCM? What PCM is in it? What bin file is flashed into the PCM?

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    94 F-Body SES (Service Engine Soon) comes on steady with key/on engine/off and stays illuminated till engine is running (assuming no DTC's) .
    I'm Bob 1994 Z28, A4, CAI, Cam, 1.6RR's, LT's, stall, cat-back, TunerCat $EE, TunerPro RT, TTS Datamaster. Also 2007 GMC Envoy mail order tune , 2015 Kia Sorento stock..

Electronic Ignition!
    in tunerpro I hit connect, it connects and just flashes error.

On the dash of the car the CEL is solid on which is how it should be with key on engine off
    94' Camaro z28: cam/stall/gears/pcmforless tune
    91' Cavalier z24: stock

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    He's got a LT1 Flash PCM so no chip. But I believe the CEL scenario is the same. With key on CEL should come on, blink and stay on till engine starts then go off. Flashing is always a bad thing...

So what happened to original PCM? What PCM is in it? What bin file is flashed into the PCM?

The original pcm got fried cause I lost connection during an upload. The PCM I have now has the same number on the pcm, so im pretty sure it came out of a 94 or 95 lt1 f-body. It has a tune by Bryan Herter from PCMforless.

We've been through everything as far as setting up cables and we know you have files that work. So ask PCMforless why?

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    We've been through everything as far as setting up cables and we know you have files that work. So ask PCMforless why?
    I've been running 2 tunes from him for about a year now, Ive never had this issue before. I'm pretty sure its not his fault my pcm isnt hooking up. Is there anything on the ALDL connector that could be funky? my roommate is an electrician so we have voltage testers and ohm meters.

I'd be surprised if he changed any ALDL info... so I agree probably not the flash. And your running good with no CEL or flash so it's flashed right.

Sure there could be a bad wire on ALDL or anywhere to PCM, but that's a long shot unless there's been a human helping the wiring go bad...

It's usually a cable installation, driver, preferences issue! But you've gone over all that... tried connecting, disconnecting and connecting again while engine running?

What cable do you have? There are some that do not work on 8192 baud Pin M, older 160 Buad are Pin E of ALDL...

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd1u

My roommate and I just went over pins G, B, A, and M of the ALDL connector, with a tester. Pin A grounded like it should, Pin B tuned the fans on when we grounded it out, Pin M tested good, Pin G locked my doors rofl... made me jump a little

I am wondering if the cable isnt any good?

also verified the pcm is the same as my original
    Last edited by englundjd; 07-30-2013 at 03:45 AM.

That cable works, I have one... but the first one they sent was defective... do you have another car to test? Could be anything we have files for...

You have the jumper off or in neutral position right?

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    jumper is neutral, there is an 89' Iroc sitting in my back yard also, iirc it doesnt have an 89' ecu tho. I think it was more like an 86 model ecu