Thread: Help me get this straight

Carb and Points!

Help me get this straight

So I am the new guy here trying to figure out what the best way to tune the 1227747 ECM in my 88 truck is. This is what I think I know so far, but correct me if I am wrong The ALDL cable is for data logging only. In order to actually tune the ECM I have to reburn chips. My ECM should have the 2732a which can not be reburned. So in order to tune this with Tunerpro I need to convert it for use with a 27SF512 Flash Chip. So here is where I get confused because I keep reading about DIP and ZIF sockets in this thread... http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...rsion-(27SF512) So what parts are exactly need to convert from the early 2732a chips to the later Flash chips???? Or is there a source just to buy the 2732a chips and keep replacing them with each retune and forget about any mods to the ECM. Thanks

Administrator
    Your ecm may have a 2732 or a 2732A. Both chips can be reburned. In order to reburn the chip you need an UV eraser to blank it and an eprom burner to write to it. People switch to flash chips because it's faster and they don't need the eraser. You'll need a burner capable of working with the flash chip. The 2732 is a 24 pin chip and the 27SF512 is a 28 pin chip. In order to use the larger chip where the smaller one belongs you either need to do a little customizing or look for a 24 to 28 pin adapter. HTH

Fuel Injected!
    The 2732 can be a pain to get in and out with out bending the pins.It also takes about 5 min. to erase one as opposed to about 5 sec. on the 512 chip.I have burned many chips while learnng to tune (over a hundred)I am very glad II went with the zif connecter and its not bad to solder in the adaptor for it.when you get done with your final tune you can remove the zif connector to have room to put the cover back on.It also makes it easy to pull in to a parking spot burn a chip then head back out.