Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: LS1 Flash Tool Released

Since you got LB7 Diesel flash in there too now!

Wonder if read write can be added for 96, 97 and 98-00 Vortec Black Box PCM?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Well, the duramax just happened to work. You can try a black box PCM, but Its an early enough generation that I do not expect it to work. I wont say never for write support, but at this stage it will only be if the pcms happen to be compatible with the 0411. Register interest in this thread though.

I have a 1998 Vortec Black Box PCM here on the bench so I gave the Flash tool a test. 98-00 are same although they do have several OS. Looks to be working but seed/key issue? Here is what I got. If you'd like to add this just walk me through what is needed.

Init:
    AVT device reset ok
    Model: 852
    Firmware: 1.1
    Identify:
    AVT device reset ok
    AVT VPW mode ok
    Set AVT filter
    Received OSID: 16263425
    Failed to read block 8
    Received Calibration ID: 0
    Failed to read block 7
    Received PCM Serial No: QC724786
    Received VIN: 2GCEC19RXW1123841
    Received BCC: CCSF
    Received MEC: 0
    Disable message transmission accepted
    Calculated Key: D4F6
    PCM Failed to Unlock
    Also with the first flash test software you sent I used the Identify PCM and got this.
    TX: F1 A5
    Avt device reset ok
    TX: E1 33
    Avt VPW mode ok
    Set AVT filter
    Successful read of block 10
    Received OSID: 16263425
    Failed to read block 8
    Received PCMID: 0
    Successful read of block 5
    Successful read of block 6
    Failed to read block 7
    Successful read of block 7
    Received PCM Serial No: QC724786
    Successful read of block 1
    Successful read of block 2
    Successful read of block 3
    Received VIN: 2GCEC19RXW1123841
    Successful read of block 20
    Received BCC: CCSF
    Successful read of block 160
    Received MEC: 0

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    If you had a spreadsheet listing the security,read and program algorithim for most all the OSID's from 1996 up to last few years V6/V8 would that help any?
    I have a file that looks really helpful,but I haven't broke thru that ah-ha moment with the adx/vdf's for it to be of any use to me yet.

Fuel Injected!
    I should be able to work it out without that. I have PMd eaglemark so we can do some testing.

Fuel Injected!
    V1.05 has been released. It can unlock black box pcms and display your seed/key, but they have been found to be incompatible so no read support at this stage.

Ive also set the virtual serial speed to match the serial avts, so its possible they might work now. I'd be interested in any reports from anyone who can test.

The read speeds have also been improved.

Colour me as interested. :D

I don't have a cable currently, but will look for one, unless you think a beta unit of yours will be available soon? I've been wanting to get into OBDII PCMs, but the expensive software has kept that from happening. I also haven't been able to decide on which software is the best to get...
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I've been wanting to get into OBDII PCMs, but the expensive software has kept that from happening. I also haven't been able to decide on which software is the best to get...
    If your choice is between HPTuners and EFILive---I would recommend EFILive. I don't like HPTuners tune credit setup or their VIN/OS match. With HPTuners the year of the OS has to match the year of the VIN. If it doesn't you can't read or write to the ECM. So, for retrofit projects that must have the vehicles VIN---HPT is out. It also appears that you can't modify a calibration unless you license it. So, if someone wants to send you a tune to look at, you can't edit that tune unless you license it for 2 credits. I don't own HPT but, that is how I understand it.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB, 5.0, 4L80e, Moser M60, 4.10 gear, Homemade twin turbo w/Junkyard T3 turbos, 24x CNP, 12200411 PCM.

Super Moderator
    EFI-Live tends to have a very small list of supported applications, though they're usually well defined. there are exceptions of course.

HPT supports almost everything, though they can be a bit light on what can be edited.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    ... EFI-Live tends to have a very small list of supported applications...
    Going to respectfully disagree with you on this point ... if you look at the supported controllers from the EFILive home page, it will become evident they support nearly every V8 engine platform from 1998 onward.

They do have limited support for 4 and 6 cylinder engines ... but again, no offense intended, most Hot Rod builds will use a V8 engine.

I have never worked with 4 or 6 cylinder engines, and have no plans to do so.

EFILive or Tunercat are more user friendly - as both allow users to define / create their own parameters based on individual need. EFILive does this via user defined CAX files, Tunercat allows users to modify the VDF files.

HPT does not allow for any such user input / customization.

As Jeff pointed out - EFILive affords the user the ability to make and save changes to a tune without having to license it - which allows for greater peer support among enthusiasts.

I own them all - HPT is my least favorite.

Just my opinion ...

Super Moderator
    not everyone is going to be tuning a V8 though... in fact, i would almost exclusively be playing with 3100/3400/3800 powered cars. it's too bad DHP isn't still around, since that would have covered me in 90% of situations.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

I am also interested in tuning 6 cylinder applications, both HPT and EFI-live seem to lack support here. More and more engine swaps are being done with less than 8 cylinders.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Looks like an 0411 PCM with this flash tool and a TunerPro XDF is all the V6 guys would need? So how many V6 0411 cars are out there?

As far as EFI Live and HP Tuner? The HP Tuner credit system just puts it into unobtainium for doing conversions, PCM swaps, OS swaps, engine swaps..VIN Changes... I can do what ever I want with EFI Live and one license. Don't even need the license to work on files and help someone collaborate.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Looks like an 0411 PCM with this flash tool and a TunerPro XDF is all the V6 guys would need?
    For most custom swaps, I would agree, it's the cars that are originally V6, where tuning is needed that must stay with the original PCM, around here anyway, due to our new "E-test", that scans the PCM for the readiness of emissions monitors.

Fuel Injected!
    Of efilive vs hpt I would also say efilive. But for hobbyists hopefully this tool is the best option :)
    Last edited by antus; 08-24-2013 at 05:09 PM.