Thread: 64 Chevy truck conversion

Carb and Points!

64 Chevy truck conversion

This is a new conversion for me I'm trying to wire an '88 Chevy truck tbi into my 64 Chevy I'm not sure
    exactly where to start I have a 350 mildly built 700 r4 I drive it daily so it can't be down long I need help

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    Howdy.

My first conversion took me almost a month but back in the early '90s you couldn't just post a question to the 'net.

Where are you at now? How much is installed? Tank with pump, supply and return lines? TBI and adapter ready to go on? Do you have tools available for bending fuel line? How about wiring tools? Are you pulling parts off a donor truck or are you working from a pile of parts you've already got?

Carb and Points!
    Pulled e

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage tin View Post
    Pulled e
    Pulled everything from a 89 Chevy truck intake tbi dist all engine wiring computer sensors if I thought I
    might need it I grabbed it I build antique cars for a living so I have all the tools I need I have it layed out
    on my bench plugged up that's as far as I have got

Administrator
    You'll probably want some specialized terminal tools for the wiring if you don't have them. And there's a special hydraulic flaring kit that makes the O ring fittings used on the EFI vehicles. It's a little spendy but it also does a nice job with inverted flare so it will pay for itself.
    http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...=1&category=14

http://www.mastercool.com/pages/flaring_tools.html

Are you planning to use the 89 tank or try and make the 64 tank work? The 89 already has all the baffles & etc for EFI.

Carb and Points!
    Make sure you get the braided fuel lines from throttle body back to under cab also. It makes fuel line setup much easier. I use them and mount stock inline truck filter to end of pressure side, and then just build the pressure and return back to tank. If you can change out tank with the other truck, you then have in tank fuel pump also.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzz View Post
    Make sure you get the braided fuel lines from throttle body back to under cab also. It makes fuel line setup much easier. I use them and mount stock inline truck filter to end of pressure side, and then just build the pressure and return back to tank. If you can change out tank with the other truck, you then have in tank fuel pump also.
    I have the lines the truck has a circle track fuel cell under the bed I plan on going to the local pick n pull and getting the steel lines off the donor truck I like the idea of using parts I can get at any parts store
    my main problem is the wiring hook up do I need a vss and can I get one from a 87 to91 suburban,k5,
    blazer or old body pick up or something else or does that have to be bought aftermarket

Carb and Points!
    87-92 are pretty much same as I understand. You want to hook up vss. If you are going to keep your cable speedo, you can get a Delco 10456131 speedo plug in trans, you are using the 88 700R4 trans also, aren't you. That speedo unit plugs in trans and has a vss and cable output also. They are for 90-92 Camaro and Caprice police cars. They used vss for computer and speedo drive to calibrate radar units. A friend at parts store said there were several different manufactors except Delco that were cheaper if you knew that they were the police units from that year. Maybe that will help. You don't have to worry about vats or any of that on the 88 stuff.

I think... the 700R4 truck trans is different and won't accept that car sensor?

Trucks had the VSS in behind the Speedometer. They can be taken out and installed in speedos. But the aftermarket like Jags that Run are a lot easier.

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    I've used several in S10 700R4 trans, but I have never used pickup trans. I assumed same thing. Even used them in pre 97 4L60E trans.

Just from memory the full size trucks have a speedo cable, this is why the VSS is behind Speedometer and also why that sensor does not work... I'm old so don't hold me to that!

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Just from memory the full size trucks have a speedo cable, this is why the VSS is behind Speedometer and also why that sensor does not work... I'm old so don't hold me to that!
    My trans is out of a 86 camaro because it had a cable drive speedometer some of the later ones don't have a gear for the drive I'm going to the salvage yard tomorrow to see what I can find thanks for all the help I will probably have more
    questions for you guys tomorrow

Carb and Points!
    I'm looking at a vss from jags that run now I just have to wire it up and tune it the motor has a lopey cam and I want to
    keep that sound will that cause any problems