Thread: 1961 Chevy C60 with 261 inline six TBI build

Electronic Ignition!

1961 Chevy C60 with 261 inline six TBI build

My new toy that followed me home a few months ago.
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=582468

It needs a little work done to her right now. Water pump leaks,Intake and exhaust gaskets leak,exhaust manifold cracked also,carburetor missing parts.

I have always wanted to build a TBI system for an engine that never came factory with it, so my 261 chevy straight six is going to get fuel injection.
    This will be a slow build, I will try and post many pictures. Right now the water pump is off and intake/ex manifolds are off. I am going to buy a Clifford intake manifold with Howell TBI adapter.
    http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...gory_Code=C235
    Exhaust will be Fenton split exhaust manifolds. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fenton...ders,6906.html

So far I have my donor harness from an s10 that i have had for 15 years in my stash of wire, cleaned it up yesterday. Now I need to source an ECM and prom.
    Found plenty of ECM and proms on Fleabay. Don't know which ones I need to buy. The computer will be mounted under the dash. I will need advise on the computer service number and prom BCC number. I figure I will start with a manual trans 4.3 ecm and prom, just don't know what numbers.
    New project 261 Chevy Jobmaster inline six, Link here-> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=582468
    Project 3.0l Mercruiser TBI (SOLD that POS)
    Crush all carburetors, LOL.

Your harness is likely a ...288 $A0 or ...299 $99, they are the same plugs as a 1227747 $42 which is what I would use. Reason is there is so much work done to the TunerPro XDF and ADX that it is the easy choice for tuning.

It also has a removable Netres chip where the others do not. Netres will provide the Limp Home Mode if all fails so look for a 1227747 from a V6.

For a starter chip to tune use ASDU auto or ASDW/ASDX for manual, it's for a V8 but one change to bin file and it's a 6. I use this as a starting point for all I6 conversions and it works great. The reason I do not use 4.3L to start these anymore is they are almost all Async fueling and it sucks for the long intake runners of an I6.

Now...

ony found APAA to be a Sync bin for V6 if you happen to find a ECM with that.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, I have my split manifolds here now. Still looking for an Intake, may buy new. I found my starter chip on fleabay, ASDX. My next part to source will be the ECM. If if find one and don't know application how do I identify it as V6 instead of V8? Then after that I will source a fuel pump. I will need an external fuel pump since I will start off with the original in cab tank. Later I will look for a round side mount 30 or so gallon tank. I want to use braided fuel lines also, maybe a Holley pump? I need one that can pull fuel fairly well as the pickup is at top of tank and I want pump outside of cab on frame. Then after that will be the throttle body assembly, Looks like from what I read is the 5.0 v8 would be better because of smaller injector flow. I want all opinions and suggestions from those that are experienced with this and cant wait to hear from you.
    New project 261 Chevy Jobmaster inline six, Link here-> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=582468

External pump well below the tank is optimal.

This page may be helpful, it is where I found the fuel pump info below.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html

6. Fuel pumps Lots of choices! You have a choice to modify your tank for an in tank pump or mount one external to the tank.

Here's a picture of an inline EFI pump from Masters Part Number: E8248

Think about isolation mounts between it and frame or they echo a whine from one end of truck to the other.

Some have foam around pump to isolate it from bracket.

EFI TBI Fuel Pump inline
    There is also a Carter PN5000 that is similar with fittings and brackets. Other part numbers for inline tanks are: E2000, E2182 and E8248

For high performance TBI engines or TPI/MPFI engines the PN5001 Run an inline clear filter before the pump to protect pump (must have on same receipt for warranty on Carter pump) and EFI filter after the pump. SOme clear carb filters are just to much to suck through for high flow. All you need is some kind of screen? Like those clear glass cleanable filters they used to sell for carbs? Actually worthless as filter, you just want a safety for chunks.

EFI metal filter after pump!
    Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    the first bin is a synco the second is an aysn don't use awdn sy 1.bin it is curuppted some where
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ony; 07-20-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: curupt file

He's got an ASDX bin to start with ony...

-= =-

very cool truck 4x4toys and welcome to the board. I had a '69 C50 rollback man do I miss that medium duty truck :(

But hey for your truck it sure can be done, just gotta read a lot as the info is out there. This is honestly the best EFI forum out there nowadays so you're in the right place!
    1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

Electronic Ignition!
    Ok, This project has been stalled for a little while. We had a house fire a few days after I started this thread. Everyone is fine, no need to clog up thread with concerns of that.
    So I have an ECM in my hand and want to design a mount for all the parts that will be under dash. My question is the 1127747 ECM mounting, I see people say not to mount it to anything metal some say that a metal mount is fine, should i use a plastic mount or steel. I want to make an easily serviced mount for most of the electronics. I want the ECM, ESC, ALDL, SES, MAP and Ignition module mounted to one piece under dash. If anyone has pictures of their mounting I would like to see them. I am thinking I will use an aluminum plate for the parts that require a heat sink.

Plastic, only ever mount an ECM to plastic. The chassis of the ECM needs to be isolated from the vehicle chassis.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    keep in mind where you want to mount it,i would leave it [loose an acessable till I was done tunning, I have some bin files that would probly help you get started] but need a data log to see if what I got would benifet your project, old 4.3 runs good on a 44288 ecm.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4toys View Post
    Ok, This project has been stalled for a little while. We had a house fire a few days after I started this thread. Everyone is fine, no need to clog up thread with concerns of that.
    So I have an ECM in my hand and want to design a mount for all the parts that will be under dash. My question is the 1127747 ECM mounting, I see people say not to mount it to anything metal some say that a metal mount is fine, should i use a plastic mount or steel. I want to make an easily serviced mount for most of the electronics. I want the ECM, ESC, ALDL, SES, MAP and Ignition module mounted to one piece under dash. If anyone has pictures of their mounting I would like to see them. I am thinking I will use an aluminum plate for the parts that require a heat sink.
    Look around the junk yard for ECM mounts, there's a great varity and you can use the hardware or even the ECM tray modified for a custom mount.

I've seen what you want to do with all the parts in one spot but the CEL should be somewhere to see it like dash. If yuou run the MAP that far away from engine make sure the tubing is of high quality and no collaspsing.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!

ps

I don't know why 288 operates different than 7747 on a v6 but it does,[still looking]