Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2000 silverado 4x4 engine transmission mod

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    can I use the ring sensor and timing cover off of the 1998 5.7 on the 88? Dave can you work me up a price on the pcm and wiring harness that I need I don t know witch parts that is needed all I is that it needs to be on the road and out of my shop you can contact me at 251-223-5454 tomorrow thanks for all the help guys.
    I think the quick easy thing to do is convert / reflash this 454 / 4l80E harness to the 1998 5.7 liter.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carb and Points!
    dave i have another truck that i really need to put that engine in.tell me if this will work i have another stock wiring harness for this truck install a ckp on the 88 drop the distributor from the 1998 in it to have a cam sensor take the eight coils the came on the truck and mount them a reprogram the pcm that came with the truck of course add the wires for the 4l80

Fuel Injected!
    The 4x CKP reluctor from GM is economical (at less than $15), but will only support PCM function in "low resolution" mode - that means using the Vortec distributer to fire the spark plugs - not the coil near plug technology from the LSx engine.

If you want to run the individual coils, then you will require a 24x CKP reluctor - which will increase the cost (and complexity) of the SBC & 4L80E project.

Just about anything is possible ... some options are directly related to the thickness of your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    dave i have another truck that i really need to put that engine in.tell me if this will work i have another stock wiring harness for this truck install a ckp on the 88 drop the distributor from the 1998 in it to have a cam sensor take the eight coils the came on the truck and mount them a reprogram the pcm that came with the truck of course add the wires for the 4l80
    I think there are two options: OBD I and OBD II.
    The OBD I option ~ Use a 1993 ~ 1995 TBI PCM (designed to be mounted under the dash) converted to MPFI / TPI. The 1995 4L80E uses a torque converter clutch that is PWM controlled, just like the 2000 4L80E torque converter clutch that is PWM controlled. There is no need to install a Crank Position Sensor or Cam Position Sensor with the OBD I option. The OBD I option is the lowest cost, and the simplest option for the 1988 engine with TPI. I would guesstimate a budget of about $500 for this option.

The OBD II option ~ There several part combinations that can be done for the OBD II option. No matter what combination of parts used for the OBD II option I would guesstimate a budget of at least $750 to maybe even $1000.

The harmonic balancer from the 1998 is also needed to make the the 1988 engine OBD II. I think it would be less work to buy the used parts, Vortec timing cover, crank position sensor, 4 tooth ring, distributor, and harmonic balancer. Why tear down an engine for parts you need to install in another vehicle at a later date?

Modifying or simplifying a stock harness is time consuming work! Of all the parts needed for your project, the wiring harness is the most EXPENSIVE part because to the time needed to modify or simplify the stock harness! It takes just as many hours, maybe even more hours, to modify or simplify a stock harness than build a completely new harness!!!!!!! Expect at least half of the OBD II budget to be needed to pay for a harness.

I used information from: http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewto...r=asc&start=80
    to build my '0411 controlled SBC engine. It's a good LONG read!

dave w

Dave, instead of Crank trigger wheels have you ever thought of adding a sensor to the distributor?

http://www.efihardware.com/products/...ev-dual-sensor

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Just to add to the "unprotected" sensor discussion...

I've had a similar set-up on two vehicles for a total combined on road time of about 8 years. The first vehicle was a true daily driver, year round vehicle that saw sun, rain, snow and slush. NEVER EVER EVER had an issue. The second car is almost a daily driver, about the only weather it doesn't see is snow. The only issues I've had were from my selection of mounting hardware, not the exposed design of the reluctor wheel and sensor. If I was wheeling, I'd likely want to build a protective shield, but I would do that for a lot of components anyway.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Dave, instead of Crank trigger wheels have you ever thought of adding a sensor to the distributor?

http://www.efihardware.com/products/...ev-dual-sensor
    I've considered triggers in the distributor, very challenging! The more challenging aspect of the distributor trigger is the size of the reluctor and the electronics of the sensor. It's challenging to find an off-the-shelf sensor that meets both the size requirements for the distributor and the electrical properties for the PCM.

dave w

If a four cylinder can do it then a eight can... here's the parts, just need a wheel?
    Attached Images Attached Images

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    If a four cylinder can do it then a eight can... here's the parts, just need a wheel?
    Measurements ~ Measurements ~ Measurements ... Diameters ~ Angles ~ Height That's what I need to make a CAD drawing. Then it has to be machined ($$$).

dave w

Carb and Points!
    Ok David I am out of town getting a new construction site kicked off its going to take probably two week before I get back to this project I can work with those numbers just bare with me you have put time in this and your the one I'll spend my money with, ye I know you been told that before but not by this country boy from LA LOWER ALABAMA.THANKS and I'll be in touch.

The problem with putting a crank trigger signal in a dizzy is that the wheel needs twice as many notches, or trigger points. This can be difficult to fit inside a small dizzy and work correctly.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Eaglemark,
    you should get some 345 parts to Dave. 24x IH SV engine ! COP and a 411 would make for a sweet running engine!.
    Maybe the l21 Crank gear, cps, and l21 cam sensor?