Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 silverado 4x4 engine transmission mod

Carb and Points!

2000 silverado 4x4 engine transmission mod

I need help and really don t know were to start so here is I have a 2000 silverado I took the stock engine 326? I think and 4L360E out and stalled a 1988 5.7 with 1986 TPI and a Accel HEI distributor and a 4L80E trans the vats system has been cut out of the truck and all the engine wiring.What I have to work with is a 2000 underhood the wiring harness witch I think there's more wires then needed,and the funds are not there for a painless wiring with the proper pinout I can build a harness.I have a 2000 pcm 1998 pcm and the ecm that went to the 1988 5.7 tbi ecm 16144288.This is just a work truck but it gets worked harder then most its had 4L60E trans.casings broke. I would like to use no vats and no more sensor then whats need to make the engine perform its best.

Well the 16144288 won't work with your 4l60E trans so that's out. May as well use the 2000 PCM since it is what came in the truck. It may be the same as the 98 if they were both Votec engines? The 2000 could possibly be a LS PCM?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    The pcm that came with the truck has a blue and a red plug numbers i find are 16245938, 1269, Lo3773 the pcm that came from the truck the 4L80E 1998 number16266655,service #09355699 and it has four plugs black,white,red,and blue

Fuel Injected!
    Here is the short answer - your eclectic choice of components are not remotely compatible with each other. You have:

• 2000 model year truck - originally equipped with a 512 Kb PCM (Blue / Red connectors)
    • 1988 SBC longblock - which was never equipped with a CKP (crankshaft position sensor)
    • 1986 TPI intake system
    • 1998 4L80E (originally controlled by a Vortec PCM - 4 connector plugs)

You could install a CKP on your 1988 longblock - a kit is available from EFI Connection - then add a 1996+ Vortec style distributer (has a CMP - camshaft position sensor), and then also add a knock sensor.

You could then use a 512 Kb PCM, with a calibration from a 2001 or 2002 Express / Savana - as a starting point.

You would then have to build a custom tune from there - using a WBO (wide band oxygen sensor).

I think my idea might work? Red / Blue LS PCM ~ MPFI similar to TPI ~ Custom built the Crank Position Sensor (CKP) was less expensive than the EFI Connections crank position conversion. Custom built my own harness. TONS and TONS of HOMEWORK!!

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    That is some ingenious R&D !

While I have no doubt you enjoyed the intellectual challenge and creativity, most people don't have access to the necessary precision equipment to fabricate the external reluctor ring to the necessary tolerances.

Also, that setup while being highly creative, is also completely external and unprotected.

For the average person the least expensive / complicated route is:
    • purchase a 4x CKP reluctor from GM (less than $15) - was used on the 5.0 & 5.7 Vortec engines from 1996 to 2002
    • purchase a billet timing cover from EFI Connection ($310) - money well spent (these won't leak when used on a SBC)
    • you could try fitting the plastic (supposedly single use) Vortec timing cover ($50) - but the mating surface is slightly changed compared to a traditional SBC - quite a lot of silicone is required to prevent oil leaks
    • use a 1996+ Vortec harmonic balancer - or machine the snout of the existing SBC balancer the thickness of the 4x CKP reluctor ring
    • use a 1996 to 2002 5.0 or 5.7 Vortec distributer (an upgrade to an aftermarket Vortec style distributer is also money well spent - the OEM ones are mainly made of plastic)

The base tune would be best from a 2001 or 2002 V8 Vortec van, but would end up being a completely custom calibration given the TPI intake, injectors & TB, and the SBC cylinder heads & cam.

This doable on a modest budget, but obviously not doable on no budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    That is some ingenious R&D !
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Also, that setup while being highly creative, is also completely external and unprotected.
    Agreed, but the sensor is just as equally unprotected like the pulleys, belts, hoses, and adjacent engine components. The design is not an inferior flying magnet design. The factory Vortec CPK sensor is used in this design, which is a very robust sensor, and unaffected by oil, dust, moisture, and road grime buildup.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    Absolutely no criticism intended - awesome piece of work on your part.

Just like every tool has a best use, so do parts. Your setup should work over the long term on a daily driver or for paved track use.

The OEM setup between the reluctor wheel and sensor face is completely internal - and would be more reliable in a sand buggy or mud bogging application.

For what Dave charges for them it's way cheaper then the other options. I'll be bringing a Toyota 22RE harmonic balencer and pulleys over to him on my next trip to Portland to get one made. Going to GM ECM and DIS on the kids rock crawler.

I'd already thought about the unprotected only since it's an off roader and going to build a shield off the mount to protect sensor from flying dirt rocks. He does not do mud bogging but ocasinally hits mud on trails... so we will see if any mud will interfere? I'm guessing it won't stay in trigger slots long? Not sure about filling up behind sensor?

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    Ok guys yaw doing great but lest slow down theres more info that should solve some problems first a little about my self I have in my shop lathe,tig,mig welders and the tools and equipment to build the hook I wear on my left arm are airplane,circle track race cars are repair a bulldozer and I have done all of the above not to sound like a smart ass.but I have been away from autos for a long time so the computer got ahead of me now i am lot.OK see if this helps I have a 5.7 1998 setting here on the floor right now I just took it out of the truck four days ago because could'nt get it to fire a person working with me got pissed and took a pair wire cutter to my wiring including the vats so I put the 88 engine hei and tpi hope to get running with out a pcm except a few sensors a pulse for the injector witch from what I read it can be done with two wires and the trans. control.Sorry guys I didn't mean to write a book

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Ok guys yaw doing great but lest slow down theres more info that should solve some problems first a little about my self I have in my shop lathe,tig,mig welders and the tools and equipment to build the hook I wear on my left arm are airplane,circle track race cars are repair a bulldozer and I have done all of the above not to sound like a smart ass.but I have been away from autos for a long time so the computer got ahead of me now i am lot.OK see if this helps I have a 5.7 1998 setting here on the floor right now I just took it out of the truck four days ago because could'nt get it to fire a person working with me got pissed and took a pair wire cutter to my wiring including the vats so I put the 88 engine hei and tpi hope to get running with out a pcm except a few sensors a pulse for the injector witch from what I read it can be done with two wires and the trans. control.Sorry guys I didn't mean to write a book
    There are many options, but I think the computer you want to use and the engine you want to use will be the TWO MOST important decisions! After you decide which computer and engine you want, then the wiring harness planning can begin. I have harness and computers that are plug and play ready for any of the options you have posted. I can also post the technical information that will help you do the wiring yourself.

dave w

OK see if this helps I have a 5.7 1998 setting here on the floor right now I just took it out of the truck four days ago because could'nt get it to fire a person working with me got pissed and took a pair wire cutter to my wiring including the vats...
    Ouch!

so I put the 88 engine hei and tpi hope to get running with out a pcm except a few sensors a pulse for the injector witch from what I read it can be done with two wires and the trans. control.
    Not sure where you read that and have no idea how to make it run without a PCM?

You have a bunch of mis matched parts and we are trying to figure out how to make it run.

It's a good book!

I don't doubt your capibility in all the above, but when it comes to injectors, spark advance controlled by ECM/PCM and an E transmission? You need the right wires, ECM, sensors and in your case because of E trans a PCM instead of ECM, then programming to make it work. There's no secret magic box we are hiding to make this work.

Your best bet at this time may be Daves offer of a harness, PCM and programming. Making that engine, trans and vehicle work is no small task.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Your best bet at this time may be Daves offer of a harness, PCM and programming. Making that engine, trans and vehicle work is no small task.
    What he said X2!

My most recent conversion was a 1998 diesel / 4l80E to 1997 gasoline / 4L80E...lots of fun!
    Last edited by dave w; 07-14-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    some of the older dodge trucks I have worked on had a magnetic pick up on the outside,down here the side roads are mostly gravel and dirt unless it rains then mud. I have had to clean a few of them as they pick up small metel particals from the dust but it take a long time before they cause a problem an then it is just a matter of cleaning it of with a air gun.

Carb and Points!
    can I use the ring sensor and timing cover off of the 1998 5.7 on the 88? Dave can you work me up a price on the pcm and wiring harness that I need I don t know witch parts that is needed all I is that it needs to be on the road and out of my shop you can contact me at 251-223-5454 tomorrow thanks for all the help guys.