Thread: Hello From NE Ohio

Fuel Injected!

Hello From NE Ohio

Well, I was googling and minding my own, when I came across this awesome forum!
    It's great that there's such an active group still tuning the older stuff. No, it's beyond great!
    No offense intended to the tuners of the newer stuff.
    Kudos to the management. I don't know how you pulled off such a great site with so much member participation. Just skimming the posts gives you a feel of some really nice folks contributing here. I hope I can do the same.
    I'm somewhere between Erie PA and Cleveland OH. I first started tuning when I bought a new Syclone some 20 years ago. The ECM was sealed and locked to the harness with a huge orange sticker because GM knew there were tuners about. 8-)
    Along the way, I met some wonderful people on the old EMECM and DIYEFI lists. Some of them are no longer with us, but their generous contributions live on. I sold my tuner truck over ten years ago, and have been pretty much out of the loop since, but have two projects now that I need to get moving on. I'm sure you know what I mean when I tell you I have "analysis paralysis". That's a nice way to say that you're reading and contemplating too much, and not wrenching!
    Example: My longer term project is an S10 chassis under an old truck.
    http://unkamike.com/truck/
    Haven't touched it in two years! [sigh]. The more short term project (involving a lack of garage space and a promise to my wife) is putting the s10 V6 engine & trans in an old RX7, which I hope to bring home this week.. Maybe if I get beer-muscles in the future, the V6 will get a syclone turbo setup, a 7749 and EFI, but that's way in the distance at this point.
    Cheers,
    Mike V "long live OBD1"

Administrator
    Howdy, Mike.

Welcome to gearhead-efi. Glad you like it. We try to make the site friendly to people of all skill levels but what I think really sets it apart is the effort that's gone into collecting, organizing, and maintaining tuning information.

Sorry to hear you sold the Syclone. I know you had fun with that truck. My Sunbird's been parked for a couple of years but of course, I have intentions of fixing it. I do still have the '57 and if you'd get going and finish your '46 I could fire mine up and head out your way for an old truck meet in the parking lot at Summit Racing.

Shannen
    Last edited by 1project2many; 07-09-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Shannen.
    I took my nephews and dragged the new short term project home tonight.
    http://www.unkamike.com/mazda.jpg
    I'd forgotten that barn cars often have aroma of finely aged mouse pee. 8-/
    The engine & trans swap should be easy, compared to the interior odor.
    All the best,
    Mike V

Administrator
    I'd forgotten that barn cars often have aroma of finely aged mouse pee. 8-/
    My cats sit beside me in my barn watching the mice play. Sometimes they'll look at me as if to say "Are you going to just sit there and let this continue??"

Welcome! I in the northern ohio area also. Near Toledo though. This is the best site ive seen for efi help.
    Turbo 3.1/3100 V6 Thirdgen Camaro
    Best 1/4 mile 11.59@119Mph 15psi

Fuel Injected!
    fasteddi, that's flyin for a 3.1.
    What heads are you using?
    I'd love to hear about you build.
    Mike

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Mark,
    That was a very enjoyable hour spent reading, and I barely scratched the surface.
    It's great how fasteddi started out saying that a 14 second slip would be fine, but then he was hooked. Now, 14s look slow. Great story.
    I need to take more time and read in detail.
    Things have really progressed since the days of:
    "make a run - UV erase the chip - burn changes - repeat".
    I feel like Rip VanWinkle. Since I can't locate my stone-age diacom hardware,
    what's an efficient route to go with tunng hardware/software?
    Is the AutoProm setup all inclusive?
    Best place to buy?

Thanks for the warm welcome.
    Oops, I'm late for work (as usual) Mike

AutoProm is all inclusive. Just can't do better and it's my tuning tool of choice, also had AD inputs for Wide Band into data stream. Depending on ECM/PCM a G1 and/or G2 adapter and ZIF socket and your set for all.

TunerPro RT for the software. Free to use and the $39 registration does not get you much but we do encourage the purchase so further development continues! Does the bin changes and all mask are available free. Does the data logging and all files are free. Integrated to emulate the AutoProm. Integrated to burn the chips from AutoProm. Hex is still available, plus a bunch of stuff you could only dream of when you were involved years ago!

Moates for the Hardware and IIRC you get a TunerPro license with AutoProm.
    https://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom....html?cPath=95

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks Mark,
    I'm there just as soon as project car has driveline bolted in and started up.
    The peices are fitting together in my feeble brain, and we've exchanged email before.
    You were generous with your time way back then too. (ahem, is my nose brown?)
    all the best! Mike.

If you've done this before the hard way it will come together so fast and you'll be amazed at how far OBDI Chip tuning has come!

I'll take that as kind words and no brown nosing!

I learn, I share, I like what I do and whenever I need help there's always karma!

-= =-