Thread: ECM Upgrade Options for 86 Buick Grand National?

ECM Upgrade Options for 86 Buick Grand National?

I think there are some good options for upgrading the ECM for an 86 Buick Grand National (Turbo 3.8 V6 EFI). Here is what I'm thinking:

1. 7727 / 7730 $8F - 3.1 V6 Turbo

2. 16183247 $5B - 3.8 V6 Supercharged

It's a 12 second 1/4 mile car now ... looking for 10's I'm thinking a better ECM will make it happen. I'm favoring the '7730.

Any and all ideas / thoughts / experiences are welcome,
    dave w

Re: ECM Upgrade Options for 86 Buick Grand National?

I'm at a similar em-pass with a friend's '86 TR. I tried playing with the '7148 and got almost nowhere with it.

I'm almost done an adapter harness to plug in a '7730/'7749, my plan is to use either $58 or $59.

I'm favouring the idea of $59, mostly because that's what I'm running in my Datsun, and it works well. I'm also very familar with it. If I go with $58, the 2 BAR MAP sensor can be retained, to keep the costs down. I can also use a lot of what I know about $59 with $58.

I hadn't thought of $8F for this, simply because I'm not real fond of that code. It seems limited in comparison to $58/$59, especially $59, with all the enhancements that have been made.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

What ECM is in it now?

I am picking up a supercharged ECM, MAP and whatever is left begining of next month. I go to a very specail junk yard then to start stripping harness and any left over EFI pieces from the cars getting crushed!!!

Cheap!

Specail requests? I'll take notes and see what I can get for everyone...

My choice would be a Perfect Power SMT8 wireless piggyback. The SMT6 was so fantastic when I used it five years ago I can't beleive theres now one better and wireless.. think extra injector driver, think 128 cell boost map fueling over the stock 128. Think Lambda tuning. Think Nitrous control. Just wire it inbetween the ECM and engine then wireless tuning to laptop, missing tooth, ignition controls etc...

The SMT8 can drive one extra injector (13 ohm) for supplementing fuel at high boost. The extra injector can be controlled via Throttle/RPM, AMP and Engine Temp maps. This allows for precise fuel delivery at boost conditions - a feature which is very popular with turbo and supercharger installations.

Two wide band LSU-4 channels can be tuned simultaneously with the SMT8 version 3. This is feature is the major difference between version2. A large 16 x 24 map (384 tune sites) allows for the precise AFR (Lambda) signal modification via the two wide band inputs and outputs. The AFR is mapped via Throttle/RPM, AMP and Engine temperature. Two narrow band AFR (Lambda) probes can also be tuned simultaneously with the two wide band probes. This feature is invaluable for V6 and V8 applications where there are two wide bands probes and two narrow band probes. All 4 lambda probes can be tuned at the same time with one SMT8 unit.

http://shop.perfectpower.com/index.php? ... duct_id=73

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter
    I'm at a similar em-pass with a friend's '86 TR. I tried playing with the '7148 and got almost nowhere with it.

I'm almost done an adapter harness to plug in a '7730/'7749, my plan is to use either $58 or $59.

I'm favouring the idea of $59, mostly because that's what I'm running in my Datsun, and it works well. I'm also very familar with it. If I go with $58, the 2 BAR MAP sensor can be retained, to keep the costs down. I can also use a lot of what I know about $59 with $58.

I hadn't thought of $8F for this, simply because I'm not real fond of that code. It seems limited in comparison to $58/$59, especially $59, with all the enhancements that have been made.

I'll do some homework on $59 http://www.code59.org/

dave w

Super Moderator

8F compared to 58 is not even comparable, but 8F to 59 is a much closer comparison.

assuming you don't need wastegate control, i'll have nAst1 code running 3BAR MAPs very soon...
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E