Thread: Rent GM dash instrument panel connector, just pay deposit and shipping

Rent GM dash instrument panel connector, just pay deposit and shipping

Hi guys just trying to do something new for the community here. I have used this connector to test and rebuild about 10 dashes from all makes and models of GM cars and it is very handy for figuring out how your dash works. It's the one that sits in the dash and plugs into the instrument panel (I/P).

Many I/P have the options already populated, even with bulbs in place. Example is my 1990 GMC truck. It was a 5.0L auto but had the Canadian daytime running light, shift light, diesel "wait" light, water in fuel light, and temperature light all populated and wired to this connector. Use this connector to find and unlock existing features in your dash.

List of just some of the uses when bench testing an I/P:
    -finding out what voltage is needed to drive gauges
    -testing indicator lights
    -verifying bench installed sensors with the I/P
    -simulate VSS input to speedo or pulse train for tachometer
    -verifying I/P circuit board trace integrity
    -much more!

All of the wires (34pin, 34wires) are installed, labeled with a number and have tinned ends. I'll also send you a spreadsheet with a picture of the connector and which wire it corresponds to. This is so you can modify it for your application (the spread sheet, not the harness).

Options:
    You figure return shipping: $20 to rent, $4 for USA shipping. It will be sent in a reusable envelope. When done with it, just seal it up again, ship it back.

I'll figure return shipping: $20 to rent, $4 for USA shipping, $5 prepaid label. It will be sent in a reusable envelope with a prepaid label inside. When done, put the label over the other label, seal it up, drop it in your mailbox and raise the flag!

I'll refund your $20 as soon as I get it back. The price I think is high enough to keep people from keeping it and low enough allow access for the common man.

Let me know what you think!
    1990 GMC C1500, 5spd, 1993 LT1 (ECM 16159278 $DA3)

You say rent? But it seems to be a deposit and free other then shipping? Maybe a reword?

Nice tool that everyone could share, especially with the spreadsheet!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    You say rent? But it seems to be a deposit and free other then shipping? Maybe a reword?

Nice tool that everyone could share, especially with the spreadsheet!
    Yup, I mean it to be used as a free rental tool. Kinda like pepboys or another place, where you pay a deposit and upon return you're refunded.

I've been through the pain of figuring out dashes and this certainly makes it easier. Just trying to help one in the same boat.

But hey, if they want to throw in a tip on the return shipping, I won't complain

Fuel Injected!
    I like this idea of tool rental.
    I'm a tool guy and love buying tools. I've noticed while working at parts stores and dealerships (and my own stuff) that most people that want to do their own work either
    A. Think it costs 95% less to do the job themselves and are cheap.
    B.Want to learn how to do something.

In those of the *B category, the only thing holding them back doing it is either
    1. Mechanical/troubleshooting knowledge.
    2. Lack of proper tools to do the job.

(In the *A category,those guy's are usually just cheap and won't do the job correctly anyway)

I save alot of money allowing local buddies to utilize my shop or tools if needed.
    In this rural area not everybody has $1000's of dollars worth of Blast cabinets,Diagnostic tools,pullers etc..
    I have a short list of friends that have run of my shop if they need something.
    Those same people are alway's ready to help me if I need something (how I got the wifes heads/block done free,as well as most welding and even mowing my lawn.)
    I love bartering,or if a person has nothing to barter than I don't mind just helping someone out if I can.

I say we start a thread for something like this.
    I wouldn't mind loaning out some smaller stuff that I don't mind shipping with a deposit.
    A member here has offered to loan me use of an Autoprom with deposit even.
    In fact,reminds me i've been meaning to offer a couple special tools to loan a member that mentioned he was about to do a job. Not sure if he has the $150 worth of specialty tools to do it or not,most people don't spend that much on a 1 time deal.

Anyway,I like the idea.
    Kudo's for Bentrod.

Administrator
    Good idea on the rental. Things get a bit funny if using paypal. They usually need several percent of every transaction.

I'm on an MB forum that does something similar. Benz tools can cost silly $$. They also have a running thread of DIY homebrew tools with revisions, upgrades, etc.

Playtoy_18 thanks and that's kinda my goal, making it easier for someone to break into fixing something like a dash or figure out how their machine work. Plus I like seeing other cars that have been worked on and maintained; it might help keep some of these aging vehicles out of the junkyard and working properly.

1project2many thanks and that's a good point. I'm not looking to lose any money here for letting someone use a tool, so I might have to adjust the exact numbers if someone's interested. This would certainly fall into the homebrew category as I don't think a tool existed.

So if you have a 80s-90s GM dash that you'd like to play with, this connector will save you a good amount of time.