Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Vortec Head swap on my '92 TBI 350. Tuning questions.

Fuel Injected!
    Whats the TPI pump worth? These are $129 http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...q=&Tp=peaceHog

Quote Originally Posted by Hog View Post
    Whats the TPI pump worth? These are $129 http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...q=&Tp=peaceHog
    Rockauto ( http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=hgg6cf9ppnvi0l7n5hts1jh162 ) has the AC Delco EP241 TPI pump for about $60.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    I paid about $65 at O'Reillys for a '90 IROC 5.7 pump. Just need to get it in.

Also, still having trouble with that leak, so i spread a wide, but thin layer of rtv on both sides of the square bore gasket, hope that seals it up. Currently letting it cure before i try starting it. I looked on the tube and packaging, and this type didn't have any warnings about fuel, so we'll see. Gonna modify the throttle bracket today, and hopefully take it for the first test drive.

If the pump is not AC/Delco or Carter? Return it...

Hopefully the sealer is O2 sensor safe, there are some gasket sealer maker that are not...

Even then watch it. If the leak is big it will suck that sealer in someday and create a vacuum leak. I hate those adapters you got! Holley are more money but always work well...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    If the pump is not AC/Delco or Carter? Return it...

Hopefully the sealer is O2 sensor safe, there are some gasket sealer maker that are not...

Even then watch it. If the leak is big it will suck that sealer in someday and create a vacuum leak. I hate those adapters you got! Holley are more money but always work well...
    Starting to hate the adapter myself. Lol. If i cant get it sealed, ill give the company a call and see what they suggest. And the fuel pump is "precision" brand, or something. Really doesnt matter how long it lasts, i get huge discounts through special friends and i only paid about $30-40 for the pump.

As far as the rtv, I remember reading "o2 safe" so i should be okay.

BUT, i saw something that scared me. Last night when i took the plate off to remove the old gasket, there was a tiny piece missing, and the whole gasket was moist with fuel. I don't like that, but im gonna fire her up today and watch closely. The gaskets in question are a fiber material, and I'm curious about ordering a rubber/composite gasket from Summit. What do ya think?

On the topic of TBI square bore adapters, the pics below are my "D" Port Design. The "D" port is volume matched and flow blended for the 454 TBI. Cost yet to be determined. The material is 1" thick billet aluminum. Want to be first one to buy one of these adapters?

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    On the topic of TBI square bore adapters, the pics below are my "D" Port Design. The "D" port is volume matched and flow blended for the 454 TBI. Cost yet to be determined. The material is 1" thick billet aluminum. Want to be first one to buy one of these adapters?

dave w
    Nice piece there Dave

TOM
    1994 3500 Dually , 502 (509) , 264HR , Edelbrock MPFI , PFI '7427
    1992 S-10 434 SBC/Tremec - '7427
    1986 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 S-10 , SAS, 496/700R4/205 , D44/14BFF -'7427
    1980 Z-28 496/700R4
    1979 Corvette 496/700R4
    1977 Olds 98 Regency 403/700R4

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post

dave w
    i like that! We'll see how long mine stays sealed.

Also, i have another problem, guys. Just took her out for a test drive, and it runs great, EXCEPT, its cutting out at anything above half throttle. Here's the kicker: it used to do that BEFORE the swap! You hit the gas, and the motor coughs and completely shuts off, but if you let go of the gas, it comes back on. WTF! Literally everything is either new or confirmed working. Last i checked, the fuel pump is putting out 11psi, and everything is brand new, including the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pickup coil, ignition coil, TBI is rebuilt, all sensors working, base timing is set at 0*, etc.

As i stated before, it was doing this before i swapped the heads. Another thing to note, compression test was good when i last checked.

I had a theory awhile back, that maybe my TCC wasn't unlocking as fast as it should and bogging down the motor (it does it worse in OD, completely cuts out) but that was kinda disproven because the TCC unlocks right away when its locked up and i tap the brake pedal, and the TCC solenoid is brand new.
    Last edited by jdyates; 07-18-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Not sure why it was happening before? But happening now on stock chip is common. Not enough spark for Vortec heads and the head intake combo takes at least double AE... it will be less when you get to 15 PSI fuel pressure and you can cheat a little by setting timing to 5 for now.

Where's the data log and it will show!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Makes sense! I need to get the Camaro pump in, and ill try advancing the timing a bit, until I can have you do a tune for me, and get a data cable so I can start logging stuff.

Carb and Points!
    How do I put TBI heads on a Vortec short block

Carb and Points!
    I don't care about O2 sensor placement I need to know about the heads and timing and what not

Quote Originally Posted by Greg300roller View Post
    How do I put TBI heads on a Vortec short block
    TBI heads have the EXACT same bolt pattern as the Vortec heads, simply both the TBI heads on the Vortec block. You will need to use a TBI intake manifold with TBI heads.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by Greg300roller View Post
    I don't care about O2 sensor placement I need to know about the heads and timing and what not
    I would use the TBI Timing Table and tune from there. I simply do not understand or know how to answer "what not".

dave w