Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vortec Head swap on my '92 TBI 350. Tuning questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jdyates View Post
    Unfortunately, i dont even have an aldl cable. And my home internet is via satellite, pretty mich doesn't allow anything close to "live" to happen. Too slow. I wouldnt mind getting a cable, but i did a quick search once and only found one, like $80.
    Just gotta have a cable, PM robert from this thread, he has got the best prices.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...uy-ALDL-Cables!

Did you make sure your TBI bolts did not bottom out and hit the intake manifold? Big issue with that adapter you have!!! If they hit you have an instant vacuum leak!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Well worth the investment to hook up to a laptop, even when stock. Definitely essential when custom.
    80 Camaro Z28 - 550hp AFR 383 / T56 6spd (Holley HP EFI)
    91 Beretta "SS" - 260hp 3400 MPFI / HM282 5spd (7730/$A1) sold! for crazy money...but I miss it
    94 Silverado Z71 - 300hp Vortec 357 TBI / NV4500 5spd (7427/$0D) gone but not forgotten
    96 Beretta "T56" - 4.8 LS RWD swap / 6spd (0411/2156)
    01 Silverado 2500HD - stock Vortec 8.1 / ZF6 6spd (0411/8322)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GEARHEADdezign

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Just gotta have a cable, PM robert from this thread, he has got the best prices.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...uy-ALDL-Cables!

Did you make sure your TBI bolts did not bottom out and hit the intake manifold? Big issue with that adapter you have!!! If they hit you have an instant vacuum leak!
    i hope they didn't bottom out! I used threadlock and tightened them until firm them stopped.

Well that's a crap shoot with that thin adapter! Look at your picture of adapter mounted to intake. See where the TBI bolts can go through and hit the intake?

You should really assemble it off the intake to TBI with gasket and thread the TBI bolts into adapter and see if they pass through when tight? Either grind down bolts or use washers on top of TBI bolts so they do not pass through adapter and hit intake!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Well that's a crap shoot with that thin adapter! Look at your picture of adapter mounted to intake. See where the TBI bolts can go through and hit the intake?

You should really assemble it off the intake to TBI with gasket and thread the TBI bolts into adapter and see if they pass through when tight? Either grind down bolts or use washers on top of TBI bolts so they do not pass through adapter and hit intake!
    The firmness was from barely touching the gasket, I think, because there was still thread above the adapter, before the smooth part of the stud. If that makes any sense. Lol. We'll find out when I start it up if it idles high.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    On the topic of tuning a performance TBI engine, a few things pop up in my mind:
    Tuning is not low cost. - Increase the budget?
    Tuning is not easy. - The more you know about TBI will make tuning easier. More homework?
    Tuning is not quick. - It can take several maybe even dozens of data logs to get a good tune. My tool of choice is Microsoft Excel to do data analysis with.

de w
    Dont get me wrong, i absolutely DO want to learn how to tune! And i definitely know my way around my engine, also a quick learner, I know I can figure it out, but isn't the chip burning stuff well over $400?

Dont get me wrong, i absolutely DO want to learn how to tune! And i definitely know my way around my engine, also a quick learner, I know I can figure it out, but isn't the chip burning stuff well over $400?
    With some good soldering skills the TBI ECM can be converted to a flash chip, which allow the chip burning stuff to be less than $100!

The link below is my writeup on converting to a flash chip.

dave w

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-%2827SF512%29

Fuel Injected!
    With some good soldering skills the TBI ECM can be converted to a flash chip, which allow the chip burning stuff to be less than $100!

The link below is my writeup on converting to a flash chip.

dave w

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-%2827SF512%29
    Now ya got me curious! But i wouldnt mind burning chips and being a tuner. No one burns chips down here, nowhere even close. How's the leaning curve when it comes to chip burning?

Now ya got me curious! But i wouldnt mind burning chips and being a tuner. No one burns chips down here, nowhere even close. How's the leaning curve when it comes to chip burning?
    It's not as tough a learning curve as it first appears. I think another board member (devind) said it best, "In 7 seven months I have gone from not even considering tuning a chip and being completely ignorant of the whole process to now being able to make minor changes and burning my own chips."

There is more to tuning than burning chips, understanding the parameters in a chip and analyzing the data log information to make the corrections needed to the required chip parameters is "TUNING".

dave w

You also need to know cars and you also need to know computers! If your literate in both then the learning process is easier and faster. Unless you have a few hours a day to spare? Don't start and think it will be over soon.

5 years ago I thought I knew it all! Then I realized it was just beginning and I still learn each day.

-= =-

5 years ago I thought I knew it all! Then I realized it was just beginning and I still learn each day.
    Just 5 years ago? Way back 30+ years ago, when I started college I thought I knew it all then. I agree, I also realized it was just the beginning and I still learn each day!

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    You also need to know cars and you also need to know computers! If your literate in both then the learning process is easier and faster. Unless you have a few hours a day to spare? Don't start and think it will be over soon.

Yup, i know my way around both! And I'm a quick learner

Just 5 years ago? Way back 30+ years ago, when I started college I thought I knew it all then. I agree, I also realized it was just the beginning and I still learn each day!

dave w
    LOL! Just EFI five years ago...

At 25 I knew everything about everything, then it got more and more complicated and know I know nothing!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Bad news guys. Good call on being careful with the carb studs. I tightened them too much and caused the massive vacuum leak. Gonna fix that tomorrow, and get new donuts for the exhaust flanges.

On a positive note, MAN does she roar.

Fuel Injected!
    Update. Got the studs sorted out. She runs like hell now! (In a good way). Just have to sort out a small vacuum leak, and figure out my TV cable adjustment, and she should be ready to hit the streets! Next up, IROC fuel pump, and tune from Mark.

Oh, also, my gas pedal is stiff as hell. Have to figure that out as well. Throttle cable bracket had to be improvised, and now it sits cockeyed, probably causing the stiff pedal. Gotta cut off a chunk and it should sit straight no prob.