Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vortec Head swap on my '92 TBI 350. Tuning questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jdyates View Post

Spoke to Brian Harris at TBIchips, and he recommended I upgrade the fuel pump and regulator spring as well, totaling something like $300. My regulator spring is actually adjustable, shouldn't i be able to bump up pressure and call it good?
    Please stay clear of TBIchips. I am speaking from experience. I wasted $300 going through him.

After having the issues with TBIchips I started searching the web and found this site.
    In the end Dave w got me fixed up and I could not be more satisfied with his tuning and hours he has spent helping me understand the process.
    I highly recommend you get with ether Dave or Mark they will take care of you. I assure you they will do you right and steer you in the right direction. If you hang around here long enough and ask some questions you can learn to do it yourself or at least be part of the process.

In 7 seven months I have gone from not even considering tuning a chip and being completely ignorant of the whole process to now being able to make minor changes and burning my own chips.

Again talk with Dave or Mark ether way I know they will do you right.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by devind View Post
    Please stay clear of TBIchips. I am speaking from experience. I wasted $300 going through him.

After having the issues with TBIchips I started searching the web and found this site.
    In the end Dave w got me fixed up and I could not be more satisfied with his tuning and hours he has spent helping me understand the process.
    I highly recommend you get with ether Dave or Mark they will take care of you. I assure you they will do you right and steer you in the right direction. If you hang around here long enough and ask some questions you can learn to do it yourself or at least be part of the process.

In 7 seven months I have gone from not even considering tuning a chip and being completely ignorant of the whole process to now being able to make minor changes and burning my own chips.

Again talk with Dave or Mark ether way I know they will do you right.
    Good to know, guys! This is going to be a very mild build. Just the heads, intake, and mild cam. I just figured it'd be best to have a chip made rather than trying to make the stock chip handle the changes.

Fuel Injected!
    Update! Got the heads. Casting #062. Rebuilt, ported, polished, and painted black. All i need now is small stuff. Mainly the gasket set, carb to TBI adapter (about to be ordered), and new spark plugs.

Which brings me to my final question, what needs to be done as far as tuning to get her running 100%?

Fuel Injected!
    PICS!

Recieved them already painted black. Thinking about doing my Valve covers red to match the scheme of my truck. Thoughts?

Preeeeeeetty!

Aaaaaand the Vortec "Sawtooth" casting mark.

I did this a couple of years ago. Spark & AE are the main things that need work. VE & PE also, but spark & AE will get it driveable. I'm running 20psi with a new regulator spring and TPI pump. I'm using the 1/4" steel adapter from TransDapt that I studded so the TBI bolts wouldn't bottom out on the intake pad. Have you decided on cam? I went LT1 roller for low end torque.
    80 Camaro Z28 - 550hp AFR 383 / T56 6spd (Holley HP EFI)
    91 Beretta "SS" - 260hp 3400 MPFI / HM282 5spd (7730/$A1) sold! for crazy money...but I miss it
    94 Silverado Z71 - 300hp Vortec 357 TBI / NV4500 5spd (7427/$0D) gone but not forgotten
    96 Beretta "T56" - 4.8 LS RWD swap / 6spd (0411/2156)
    01 Silverado 2500HD - stock Vortec 8.1 / ZF6 6spd (0411/8322)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GEARHEADdezign

Quote Originally Posted by woody80z28 View Post
    I'm using the 1/4" steel adapter from TransDapt that I studded so the TBI bolts wouldn't bottom out on the intake pad.
    That's a good idea... I tried once and although studs were true the taped holes were not so I could not slide TBI on?

1/4 inch does not leave a lot of room for error if TBI bolt comes through and hit's intake = instant vacuum leak.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Do you guys think it will at least be driveable on the street until i am able to upgrade the fuel pump? I can bump up the pressure in the regulator no problem, mines somewhat adjustable (have to take the injector pod off).

and as far as cam, i already have pretty insane torque down low, i'd like a cam that balances it out and gives it a good sound.

Yes, just stay out of WOT and high RPM, there will not be enough fuel and it will be lean.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Yes, just stay out of WOT and high RPM, there will not be enough fuel and it will be lean.
    That'll be tough, but will do! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jdyates View Post
    Which brings me to my final question, what needs to be done as far as tuning to get her running 100%?
    Enough fuel flow / pressure. (I'm thinking 70 lbs / Hr @ 15 ~ 18 PSI)
    Accurate BPW in the .bin file!!!! (Something close to stock +/- 5%, depends on injector flow)
    Vortec Timing table ~ as a starting point (maybe more / maybe less)
    TONS of AE & PE!
    DATA LOG ~ Tune
    DATA LOG ~ Tune
    DATA LOG ~ Tune until your done

dave w

Administrator
    just stay out of WOT and high RPM, there will not be enough fuel and it will be lean.
    That'll be tough, but will do! Haha.
    The first time it starts bucking and snorting from lack of fuel you'll decide it's easier than you think. ;).

Fuel Injected!
    Okay so I'm thinking as of right now it should be pretty driveable on the street. Once I get it all put together, I'll bump up the fuel pressure a little until I can get a better fuel pump in it. What do you guys recommend? There are pumps on Summit for about $100 that put out 90psi, but I don't need near that much, right? There's another for $50 that puts out 50psi, or should I just spend the money on an adjustable one?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    The first time it starts bucking and snorting from lack of fuel you'll decide it's easier than you think. ;).
    It used to do that before the head gasket blew. Haha. BAD. You would puncht it and the motor would basically shut off. But I think it's because one of the wires to my driver side injector is a little torn so It's not getting the best connection, plus my electrical system needs an overhaul anyway.

I could limp mine around on the stock pump, but you need to do it asap. I run a cheap ACDelco 90 Camaro TPI pump. Direct fit.
    80 Camaro Z28 - 550hp AFR 383 / T56 6spd (Holley HP EFI)
    91 Beretta "SS" - 260hp 3400 MPFI / HM282 5spd (7730/$A1) sold! for crazy money...but I miss it
    94 Silverado Z71 - 300hp Vortec 357 TBI / NV4500 5spd (7427/$0D) gone but not forgotten
    96 Beretta "T56" - 4.8 LS RWD swap / 6spd (0411/2156)
    01 Silverado 2500HD - stock Vortec 8.1 / ZF6 6spd (0411/8322)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GEARHEADdezign

Fuel Injected!
    Are you running a fuel regulator?