Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tbi conversioon 64 el camino

Fuel Injected!

tbi conversioon 64 el camino

So I'm about ready to get started on this.
    Truck has a stock 73 350 truck motor in it, stock exhaust manifolds.

Partts I have:
    91ish 350 tbi with sensors and injectors
    92 car tbi intake manifold, with the wedges to use for my old heads.
    89 van 7747 ecm, 350 auto
    94 truck tbi harness, 2wd 4l60e tranny
    Couple of rolls of 5/16 tubing for fuel lines.
    88 corvetter distributor, module, cap, rotor, etc
    Unknown vette knock sensor filter
    92 water temp sensor
    Still need (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Vss signal generator for mechanical speedo
    O2 sensor
    Knock sensor
    Fuel pump

So, anything I'm missing?
    Can I make my piles of spares work together?
    Truck will be going 700r4 auto with mechanical speedo output. Already have truck serpentine conversion.
    Any reason I should hold out to find a 94ecm?

Most of these parts fell in my lap. I have less than a hundred bucks in the whole pile.
    Any reccomendations on what I can do for a cheap fuel pump? I was thinking of using a leftover holley blue carb pump, but I don't think it will flow enough.

Michael

Blue pump won't work.

You'll be stripping quite a few wires out of that harness for your applications. It might be better to find a '7747 harness for a donor, unless your comfortable with making complete harnesses. Do you have the '7747 connectors? They are different than the '7427 connectors on the harness you have.

You can always swap to the '7427 later if you feel that the '7747 is not doing the job you want it to do.

You'll want 3/8" feed line for fuel, the 5/16" if it will do the job will be barely adequate.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    would it be advantageous to locate the later ECM, or will the earlier ECM do what I want it to? I do not have the connecters for the earlier ecm. did not get them when I grabbed the ecm. any recommendations on a frame rail mounted pump? ill get the 3/8 feed, but most rail mounted pumps i'm seeing are 5/16 inlet.

It would be easier to locate a 16197427 PCM and plug it in. May as well start with newer faster PCM. Sell you 1227747 and buy the other, it's about a wash of cost.

Knock sensor will have to be from the newer truck PCM.

From this page:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html

6. Fuel pumps Lots of choices! You have a choice to modify your tank for an in tank pump or mount one external to the tank.

Here's a picture of an inline EFI pump from Masters Part Number: E8248

There is also a Carter PN5000 that is similar with fittings and brackets. Other part numbers for inline tanks are: E2000, E2182 and E8248

Besides the 5/16 in you'll find a lot of carb tanks are 5/16 into tank, which is OK to about 300 HP. Clean tank and remove sock, run a clear carb type filter before pump and a EFI metal can filter after pump.

For intank fuel pump installation check out:
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-p...onversion.html

Stock GM trucks are a good source of braided lines from TBI back to solid lines to pump. Although the pump only runs 13 ish PSI if a return gets blocked the pressure will go high enough to cause concern or failure of cheap regular carb fuel lines. EFI Hose is recommended after pump, but very expensive. Not as expensive as a high pressure fuel pump spraying fuel into a fire! Becareful with all fuel lines of course! But really careful after pump to TBI! This is not an area to skimp, half ass or save money!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

If you are running a mechanical speedo, is the VSS needed? That question is for me, lol...
    For the original poster, I have a 1994 ECM, that I will trade you for the older one for a spare, to help you out.You ship to me, I ship to you, we each pay the shipping fair enough?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
    If you are running a mechanical speedo, is the VSS needed? That question is for me, lol...
    For the original poster, I have a 1994 ECM, that I will trade you for the older one for a spare, to help you out.You ship to me, I ship to you, we each pay the shipping fair enough?
    that would definately work.

and from my research, the VSS makes things run smoother and helos the trans programming. i believe its necessare for the 4l60e and optional-ish for the 700r4.

where are you located?

Central mississippi

Fuel Injected!
    yup. not close enough to drive.....

Fuel Injected!
    16196395 will this PCM work in place of the recommended 7427 ecm? its from a 94 suburban, 350 auto. that way I can use my 94 harness.

That should work. As I understand it, it will run $0D code which is what you want with a 4L60E trans. Also $0D is very well documented and Mark has good XDF's and ADX's for that mask.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Mark has them but he can't take credit for making them. I did reorganize a set for my self that were simpler.

Those were a great tuning community effort and I believe 98V8S10 did the final write and work.

-= =-

Mark, I was referring to the fact that they were on this site. LOL! You have reorganized quite a few different XDF's to make them more user friendly. Keep up the good work
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

I understand you know.. Just doing my part! I never want to be accused of taking credit for someones work!

ANyway $0D is an excellent choice of mask and PCM to start a project.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    so, since im going to be picking this up, and running a 700r4 with mechanical speedo, will anything need to be done to the tune for the trans differences?

Yeah but all the parameters are in the $0D XDF and there's even a bin done by Fast355 in BJYL, all the $Od files are here:
    BJYL 350 TBI 700r4.zip

-= =-