Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for 4 cylinder MPFI = Toyota 22RE with GM ECM?

Administrator
    Yes... lots of info on Cliff's page. I have several of those pages open on the pc at home.
    I also spent some time translating a document from Chinese last night that uses many of Ludis' diagrams but also has a couple that I don't recognize. It's linked on Cliff's page. I'll upload it later. It does summarize some of the functions of the FMD.

I need to sit down and work out the relationship between FMD status words, output words, out3 and out4. Sometimes I don't have a clear picture when different terms are used in various documents and discussions.

Received the 4 cyl PFI Memcal today and gave it a shot. Got error 41 and tested the memcal and sure enough it measures same as Quad Four PFI memcal... TBI!!!

Then spent a few hours trying to get new resistors soldered in and the only thing I accomplished was ruining the V6 Memcal... and realizing my eyesight has suffered as well from the chemo and radiation. Just can't see that small anymore even with my reading glasses...

Out of V6 Memcals and only have TBI memcals left.

So back to looking for a four cylinder PFI memcal...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Have your son solder up the resistors in one of the MEMCALs you already have, this will give you exactly what you need.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Yeah he's been soldering and shrink wrapping, maybe he could do this. What resistors to what pins on a memcal that seems to be TBI fuel?

-= =-

Same as any other MEMCAL...

Look a couple pages back to refresh your memory. Just remember to cut that damn leg first.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Did it! No error 41!

Still runs like crap? I must have something mechanical wrong? Don't know how many times I can check everything though? The only thing I am not sure of is timing with this DIS, timing light just does not work right, old school light at least works, but if you change timing by 20* the marks stay in same place?

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Maybe both were true, just different configurations for different ecm's. All I know for certain is this: The more I know about this the less I understand.
    Me too! I've always tried to avoid the entire conversation and really don't want to know how it works, I really don't care! Just use the right parts!

I may still have something mechanical wrong? I've tried the $80, $10, back and forth, differant spots. It always runs but not well... then yesterday I had a good idle and revved up and my AutoProm was falling so I shut it down, secured AutoProm and gor error 41 which I had not had on the V6 Memcal with resistors and did not cut pin 56 leg? Maybe AutoProm? Nope burned a chip and tried and even tried a stock memcal. Put AutoProm back, I'm very confident with using it and testing to make sure it's responding correctly.

Anyway thanks Shannen but don't mail it. I found a turbo sunbird Memcal on eBay and bought it, USPS Prioroty so couple days. It's a 7749 from 87-90, so should be same as yours?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/360505925959...witem=&vxp=mtr

Also did the resistors as Chris outlined and no error 41. So I don't think it's the Memcal... unless there are other things we do not know like Distributor?DIS or?

$A1 is so forign to me I tried $8D and it barely runs? Tried setting Initial timing at 0* and 60*, made the other cylinder and cylinder select changes. I must be missing something in changing $8D to four cylinder? At least $A1 runs, although not well...

-= =-

Fixed it for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post

Look back to first page and refresh your memory. Just remember to cut your wrists first.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Fixed it for ya!

LOL!!

You can't just change initial timing to 60* and have the timing correct. There's other math to it. Shannen knows the math off hand, I have to look it up on code59.org everytime I need it.

Initially I couldn't get Shannen's values to work, but eventually did last year or the year before. It involves using negative numbers.

Here's some reference from C59, that can be applied to other codes:
    Use of negative numbers to get the proper advance:
    http://www.code59.org/index.php?topi...sg8795#msg8795

Use of modifying bias and other tables to gain the needed advance:
    http://www.code59.org/index.php?topi...sg5960#msg5960

Just more info:
    http://www.code59.org/index.php?topi...sg6305#msg6305

That would explain $8D not working well. But $A1 is already DIS so all settings should be in order.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    That would explain $8D not working well. But $A1 is already DIS so all settings should be in order.
    $A1 is also originally for a 6 cylinder application, that I believe requires several changes to run on any other cylinder count properly. Robert will know better than I.

Super Moderator
    A1 is perfectly setup to run exactly one DIS system: the 2.8/3.1/3.4/3100/3400. even for the 3800s(and their derivatives), things need tweaked. the stock A1 settings are actually really close(or perhaps even exact?) for the 2.8/3.1/3.4 engines that have distributors.

cylinder count starts changing or a different ICM is used and things really need rework. the list i posted...... somewhere..... in this thread was a complete list of everything that might need changed compared to the 60V6 DIS ICM.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    some notes: i suggest disabling idle fuel("idle fuel") entirely.... i'm sure Chris has also dealt with it before, but GM included some rather odd alternate fueling methods in most/all of the MPFI 60V6 masks. one of them is the ability to calculate fuel requirements at idle via a weird hybrid alpha-n/speed-density algorithm that is VERY reliant upon IAC operation being nothing short of perfect and the calibration tables that use its calculated position to be very accurate. i removed this code entirely for nAst1 since it has never given me anything other than trouble. it's a single flag to disable it at idle, it forces speed-density mode at idle instead.

Calculate BPW at Idle as a Function of Airflow (X=Yes)

there are also some scalars involved that will allow that hybrid mode to be used in non-idle situations as well, such as coasting down from speed with no throttle. another removal from nAst1, this one is a little more involved to disable it.

set to maximum values:
    MPH Above Which can become Idle Fuel (KIDFMPHH)
    MAP Above Which can become Idle Fuel (KIDFMAPH)
    MPH Below Which can become Speed-Density (KIDFMPHL)
    MAP Below Which can become Speed-Density (KIDFMAPL)

set to minimum values:
    RPM Below Which can become Idle Fuel (KIDFRPML)
    TPS Below Which can become Idle Fuel (KIDFTPSL)
    MAP Below Which can become Idle Fuel (KIDFMPL)
    RPM Above Which can become Speed-Density (KIDFRPMH)
    TPS Above Which can become Speed-Density (KIDFTPSH)
    MAP Above Which can become Speed-Density (KIDFMPH)

GM actually completely disabled this in certain calibrations already, but not all of them.... ?

also, i included two sets of VE tables..... one with base accounted for, one without. not sure which you would find more useful?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post36989
    Sanity check!

Robert, will you look at this bin and see if it is in order for four cylinder? The only thing I'm not sure of is Dwell calculations?

Or would you suggest another starting bin?
    Attached Files Attached Files

-= =-

Super Moderator
    well, BFUZ is for a 3.1 5 speed L-body(beretta/corsica), i'm not sure how much closer you could match to the truck in terms of weight and trans.

assuming KK41MODE matches your MEMCAL(i can't remember which you have ended up with after modding or swapping), Reference Pulses per Revolution may or may not benefit from being changed to 2, but that should only effect cold cranking fuel from what i've seen.

did we ever figure out the reference angle that was generated with the ICM that is being run, especially in combination with the custom reluctor setup? that is about the only thing i would do beforehand before going through the typical swap process of "what isn't happening that should".
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Memcal is registered as per Six Shooter to 4 cylinder PFI mode and set in KK41MODE, no error code.
    Recap: Also have a Sunbird Turbo Memcal shipped off eBay as per 1project2many. So far all the four cylinder PFI Memcals measure ohms to TBI mode.

Reference pulses have been tested as 3 and 2 per your suggestion and no differnce. Starting is not an issue.

Reference angle? Hmmmm? I forget? Have to look up a 4 cylinder DIS bin and hope the mask has it... I thought that was settled on 60*?

Timing is an issue! But seems it is for everyone with DIS and a timing light? My old one at least works but it shows about 20* advanced always... so today I disconnected bypass and it was still about 20*, no change. But it did run better, still no idle. I tried the BFUZ with the idle mods you suggested and without. No idle. About 1200 is as low as I can get it and from there to 3000 RPM the spark advance is about 20* as per timing light. I even checked all four cylinders and they all were same advance? There's got to be a way to check timing or this is the clue I'm missing?

Checked Crank Sensor again today and at TDC it is lined up to notch 5 IIRC which is 1-4, which is 60* BTDC... would have to look at notes but sensor gap was within specs at 4 places around the trigger wheel.

I can't beleive the time I have into this and the help from you guys and still not running right. There has got to be a mechanical issue I'm missing. But I have checked everything so many times. At least half the 20 pages of this thread are directly related! Seems like I can find and fix any issue with any car but this one?

-= =-