Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Pump Swap

Fuel Injected!

Fuel Pump Swap

this is kindof of the subject but sense we are discussing fuel, my fuel pump went out yesterday pumping 5lbs, got home then to my friends shop.question has any body put a ford fuel pump in a chevy? 1991 c1500 9-13psi-1996 crown Victoria 47 psi I think. ford pump has 24.000 miles on it. don't really have the $65 for oreillys pump. another off the wall ?[ when I let off my gas pedal with the sync bin I have been running aysn comes on bmls int goes way down till I hit the gas, or the map goes above 25, std trans, the asyn bin stays around 128 on the blms an int.] the rubber hose proble split on my pump more than likely,wondering about swithing pumps before I pull the tank my pump is 9 years old and its always been a little low 11psi.

Asyn fueling is used in Decel and DFCO.

Not sure about the Ford pump?

Seems like every TBI Pump I've seen bad or replaced in last 5 years is because the sock under pump rotted and fibers are sucked into pump. New socks are differant material. I think it's all caused by ethonol.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I looked at the spec the ford pump is 28 psi- 43gph, my pump is suppose to be 14 psi 20gph,, I think I can modify the fuel pump holder so the ford will fit,didnt know about the higher pressure-gph if the tbi pressure regulator would handle the extra fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    I looked at the spec the ford pump is 28 psi- 43gph, my pump is suppose to be 14 psi 20gph,, I think I can modify the fuel pump holder so the ford will fit,didnt know about the higher pressure-gph if the tbi pressure regulator would handle the extra fuel?
    The TBI pressure regulator is OK with higher pressure / higher volume fuel pumps. I've installed TPI fuel pumps for 454 TBI applications.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    thanks dave , if it works I will have some play gas money, if it don't I will have to by one for the truck.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    The TBI pressure regulator is OK with higher pressure / higher volume fuel pumps. I've installed TPI fuel pumps for 454 TBI applications.

dave w
    As have I , in fact the later TPI pumps are the only one I use anymore for replacment , actually cost less than the original TBI pump.

TOM
    1994 3500 Dually , 502 (509) , 264HR , Edelbrock MPFI , PFI '7427
    1992 S-10 434 SBC/Tremec - '7427
    1986 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 S-10 , SAS, 496/700R4/205 , D44/14BFF -'7427
    1980 Z-28 496/700R4
    1979 Corvette 496/700R4
    1977 Olds 98 Regency 403/700R4

Are the TPI buckets the same? Just order one for a 1991 TPI Camaro?
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    Are the TPI buckets the same? Just order one for a 1991 TPI Camaro?
    Nevermind, I see these things aren't all in one package like the later stuff...
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Administrator
    I put a Ford pump in my Sunbird. They last forever. In the fleet vehicles we replace GM pumps around 100k if we're lucky. In ten years I think we've replaced two Ford units. I went through all the specs, checked all the pumps, and ended up with one from a 96 or so Navigator. You can buy it separately from the hanger unlike many of the later ones. The pump outlet is 5/16" and the overall length is shorter so had to work a little harder with a 5/16" hose than normal. The electrical connector is different, of course and will need to be changed. And it took a couple of trips to the parts store to get the inlet strainer I wanted. But overall it works well. And what's really surprising is that it seems to hold fuel pressure better than any of the GM pumps I've worked with which means faster starts.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    Nevermind, I see these things aren't all in one package like the later stuff...
    If yours has the bucket look at a 1998 Vortec.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    checked the psi on old pump 5psi,drove it 27 mile that way, I ended up putting a stock 12psi in it. I looked an the ford pump would not have to make a lot of changes to my fuel pump holder to make it work. in the last 9 years I have changed 3 of this type pumps one was bad one had a split hose on it custumer said change it,and the one I have that the wires where leaking fuel. like 1tomanyprojects said they don't wear out like the gms do, that was why I wanted to use it. now have to start takeing out a little fuel got an extra 1 psi coming home lower rpm blms went down to 122.

Fuel Injected!
    is there any thing in them old gm cats that had little balls in them that could break loose and restrict the exhaust? after I drove 27 miles really lean then put a new pump in it has a slight surge at 50-65 kpas on the map,my data log looks like I am moving the gas pedal till you look at the tps %. I had my grand son reve it up while I was holding my hand by the tail pipe, it letting pressure out setting still but every once in a while it blows particales out that stings my hand. the balls was removed 9 years ago I never cut one apart didn't know if it had a brace or something in it that might have broken apart from a lean mixture?

Administrator
    Are you sure it's not water drops? I wouldn't expect anything metal in those old cats to break free. Those things are built like bomb shelters.

Fuel Injected!
    Ford pumps are real susceptible to restricted fuel filters,so keep it clean.
    My gravy at Ford was fuel pumps due to people not changing filters out,changed at least 2-3 a week.
    The newer ones are PWM,when they go bad they don't just go out. They will drop volume at high load and then drop pressure out.
    Even a bad one should fuel a TBi truck though.
    To diag I just put a fuel guage on it stuck to windshield and lugged up a mountain next to dealership in overdrive.
    When volume drops due to low output,pressure will finally drop and all I needed to see was 31psi (min spec 32psi on most) and I turned around and priced a pump and filter.
    I never change a pump without filter,refused work if customer refused filter. At first I used to change filter only,but finally learned that if pulswidth loaded down at idle exceeded 10-12ms then filter restricted-so test drive with guage and see if pump damaged. If not change filter and advise customer to start saving for a pump because it would happen soon.

On TBI trucks I use the Vortec pump from a 96/97 before they went to modules.
    Tried one on my Fiero and it killed on me twice so I went with the corvette TPI pump and it's been fine ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Are you sure it's not water drops? I wouldn't expect anything metal in those old cats to break free. Those things are built like bomb shelters.
    Truth! I punched out a pair that I was welding into my iroc (so it would look compliant) and it was a lot harder than people made it out to be.