Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: data log of my idle problems

I'd of had the 5.7L injectors serviced and used them anyway? Easy to tune down, just can't add fuel if it's not there.

Still need a pump though. Couple I have checked that will only do 11 psi even with return line pinched, go even lower under load and RPM. Pump is just shot.

When replacing the pump make sure the new pickup filter looks like white cotton. The old ones that look like black screen disintegrate over time and the pump sucks in the fibers. I don't think those filters were E fuel ready and start to rot? May be the reason for a lot of pump failures...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I am replacing the pickup filter as well, and it is white. I am also replacing the external filter. The boards in my bed are shot, so I am just going to remove them and do the fuel pump that way. Then I make fix my second tank while I am at it.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

!!!!!! Change of plans. This old square body has the tanks mostly under the cab. I have to drop the tank to replace the pump. Guess what....... The tank is full (naturally). I am putting the top end back together and driving the tank empty, then replacing the pump. While I was under it, it looks like bed parts are missing also, so more junk yard diving. The drivers side of the bed is held on with 1 bolt. All the passenger side bolts are there, which is why I still have a bed on the truck. groan.

Fuel Injected!
    you can switch the lines around on you tank switcher and pump it into your other tank as you drive, if you are in a hurry get one of them 6-7 foot kentukiana creidit cards and go to siferine .

Ony, the other tank has a 6" hole in the bottom of it, that wouldn't work too well.

Well, it's back together, but I think that the 350 injectors are too much, it won't idle. Also one of the 350 injectors is dribbling fuel. These were cleaned by WitchHunter, but I stored them for almost 2 years, so it's not his fault. I am going to put the 305 injectors back on, then while i am working on the fuel pump, I will take them back off and get them cleaned locally.

Depends on the purpose? If to empty the tank it would work well... if you wanted to save the gas? Not so good...

I do dislike pulling tanks. We did a 98 Chevy like mine last week, had four guys hanging out and bed was off, pump installed and bed on in an hour...

So your truck an origanal TBI? 1987 right? I had a 1987 short bed fleetside 2wd in 1988. Man that was a sweet truck back then, just 6 months old when I got it. I have to get a scanner and show pics of it.

-= =-

Okay, things got weird. I took the old injectors off, and 1 is GM5235206*RPD and I don't know what the other one is. RI-546? So I have 350 injectors already in it? I know that the BCC is a 305. I don't know if the engine is a 305 or a 350 now. If I could see the back of the block I would know. On the plus side, the truck decided to run. My goodness, even with lousy fuel pressure the ultimate TBI mods woke the truck up. I can't wait to change the pump. I tried to make a log, but the laptop lost power just as I was finishing it. I will try again tomorrow

RI-546 is a cheap japan replacement injector.

http://gzhaoxiang.en.alibaba.com/pro..._RIN_1002.html

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    when you pull the pump where the wires plug on the top of the pump frame I would unplug them and take a knife and clean the 4 little male pins.

Well, I have done a bunch of driving around, but I still have about a quarter tank left. I will drive some more tomorrow to empty it some more. These new injectors I think are 65# injectors, I have to look at the numbers when I get it apart. They sure are noisy. With the old injectors, you couldn't hear them at all. Now I can hear them driving down the road. Maybe lack of fuel pressure is part of why they are loud. I am now really rich at idle ( 113) and still lean driving down the road, but not quite as bad. I have an ASDU bin I will try, but the last time I tried it I got a lot of knock counts.

Drove to town again today, I am down to maybe 2 gallons in the tank, so time to pull it.. I sure hope it isn't raining here tomorrow, I want to get this done.

Fuel Injected!
    When I am doing a pump on a vehicle that I cannot command pump on,I use the relay.Disconnect the fuel line (I tie in after filter,figure i'm cleaning the fuel :) ) and connect a length of hose.
    Then pull the fuel pump relay and use a jumper between the terminals to activate the pump.
    That way you don't have to wait :)
    I would suggest instead of using the stock tbi pump,upgrade to a higher pressure pump from a 96-97 vortec 350 truck.
    A friend of mine who has more experience with tbi trucks than I swears by them. The fuel system will adjust enough,i'm running one on my '88 fiero with stock 2.8 mpfi. (Upgraded in advance of a turbo swap).

That's a really good idea. I just did my normal driving around doing chores, I am changing the pump to an ep241, so plenty more pump.

edit!!! not an ep241 but an ep377. I dug it out of the parts bin and set it on the seat of the truck so I knew where it was.
    Last edited by jim_in_dorris; 08-24-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Here is the log of my drive to town with the egr valve blocked off, the 1" homemade throttle body spacer, my ultimate modded TBI with bigger injectors and the salad bowl. I apologize for how long the log is, it is a long drive to town.
    Attached Files Attached Files