Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: data log of my idle problems

ok, then what is the 5th connector for?
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

LOL!! I have searched the web and can't find anything either. I spent 2 hrs last night on alldata. Well, I am going for a drive today and will log again with new switch. I will also turn down throttle blades now that I can see rpms. Going to JY to look for parts.

here is today's log. New park neutral switch and closed throttle blades.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks like Park Drive is working fine.

Can't get much better on throttle blade adjustment, around 12 IAC counts in drive and 1 IAC count in Park so...

No knock counts to speak of.

BLM consistent lean, this is usually fixed by changing Stoich or Desired AFR to E fuel of 14.13. Hows the fuel pressure?

EDIT: Fixed IAC counts...

-= =-

That's my next project, I have the stuff, just need to install. I wouldn't be surprised if it was low. It still has a funny miss. I will make a recording of it Sunday when I get back home.

Fuel Injected!
    I like that smily

Well, I think my idle problem is my EGR. I think it is leaking at idle. I pulled it today, and am building a block off plate for test purposes. While I was at it, I decided to do my ultimate TBI modded TBI, as well as the home-made throttle body spacer I built. I think I have a few problems here . First, with the fuel pressure test adaptor on, there is no way I can install the fuel line. It hits the distributor. Okay, I will test and adjust the fuel pressure then remove the adaptor. NOT. The fuel pressure gauge fitting doesn't match the adapter. SO...... tomorrow I will take my fuel pressure tester and the TBI in to my son's work and see if we can figure out what I need to test it. Then back home to install and test, then remove the fitting and hopefully finish the install. I only broke 2 vacuum lines so that isn't much of a problem. Here is pictures of what I took off and what I am putting on.

DSCF2572.jpgDSCF2576.jpgDSCF2577.jpg

Well it won't help the gauge not fitting but will that adapter go in by the fuel filter? I know originally fuel pressure was tested there on TBI.

I use that adapter and most times it fits at TBI, but I did a lot of work to it and made it work as a temp to see while driving.

I'm thinking about one of these as a better adapter? Mine drips sometimes...
    http://marine-performance-parts.com/...843505774.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images

-= =-

I might install it there later. First I want to verify and set pressure at the TBI, then I can remove it and install it at the fuel filter later. I also wonder if it is safe to cut the metal lines and use fuel injection hose? I don't know anyone with a tool to flare fuel lines.

WELL, today I borrowed a Snap-On fuel pressure test gauge from one of my son's friends at work. Came home, hooked it up, turned the key and got ...... Wait for it ..... 3 PSI. Oops, take off the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and it's unscrewed all the way out. Ok, screw it 1/2 way in then reinstall. Wow, now I have 8 psi. HMMMMM. Ok off the regulator comes again and it gets screwed all the way in. Reinstall, and I get a whopping 11 PSI. HMMMM I wonder what the original TBI fuel pressure regulator yields. Take off my adjustable regulator, remove the regulator from the old TBI and install it. 11 PSI, but the spring is only 1/2 way. Maybe the spring is a little stronger. Swap springs and reinstall the adjustable regulator with it set 1/2 way. 11 PSI.. Remove it once more and tighten it down all the way, that should do it. Nope 11 PSI. Also, the pressure bleeds off as soon as the pump prime shuts off. I need a new fuel pump!!! That is probably the reason that I am so lean. Fortunately I already have a fuel pump that I was going to install in the second tank. It's a TPI pump, so I should have no more pressure problems. All I have to do is lift the bed off the truck and install the new pump. Well, I know what I am going to be doing for the next couple of days.

I'd usually not doubt a Snap On gauge... but I don't think TBI would even run at 3 psi? If it did run? Your log should be MAX lean and it was not?

A change from 3psi to 11psi would be greatly noticeable without data...

-= =-

Mark, it did not run at 3 psi, that was the first install of the adjustable fuel pressure regulator with it set to minimum. The stock regulator was 11 psi. It won't go higher than that and it bleeds off almost instantly

Oh! Isee now, so both regulators only yield 11 psi and instant pressure bleed off... I know what you'll be doing this weekend...

-= =-

Yeah, hopefully solving my lean problem. The new TBI has 350 injectors as a temporary fill in while I get the 305 injectors cleaned. It will be interesting to data log that.