Thread: Only in Canada you say?

Carb and Points!

Only in Canada you say?

Well I guess its its intro time. Do diesel conversions in my spare time, ergo my moniker, but am now playing around with a 94 Cadillac Fleetwood with the infamous LT1.

Hope you guys can help. Been 30 years since I was even interested in a gasoline engine....and we didn't have computers then. This then will be a real learning experience.

Bill

Re: Only in Canada you say?

Where abouts in Canada are you?

I've been contemplating a diesel conversion in my Dakota, just need to figure out the emmisions laws for doing such a thing.

The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter

I've been contemplating a diesel conversion in my Dakota, just need to figure out the emmisions laws for doing such a thing.

Dakota is easy. 4BT Cummins, GM adapter, 700R4. 30+MPG.

Just south of Ottawa, Ontario

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel

Dakota is easy. 4BT Cummins, GM adapter, 700R4. 30+MPG.

Just south of Ottawa, Ontario

Bill

Yeah, not worried about physically getting a diesel in the truck, I need to figure out what I would need to do about emmisions for the 15 years or so. it's an '05 Dak.

And if I swap to a different tranny, it DEFINITELY would NOT be a 700R4. ;)

We're not far apart, I'm in Brantford, just the other side of Hamilton from you.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!

Yeah, not worried about physically getting a diesel in the truck, I need to figure out what I would need to do about emmisions for the 15 years or so. it's an '05 Dak.

And if I swap to a different tranny, it DEFINITELY would NOT be a 700R4. ;)

We're not far apart, I'm in Brantford, just the other side of Hamilton from you.
    Am a partner in a business in St. George just north of you. Get down every month or so (assuming I can get the Caddy to pass an Etest).

The 700 can be built to take anything, other than a serious upgrade, that the 4BT can lay down. Reason for the 700 is that it is cable controlled. Would prefer the 4L80 but that would be overkill. Now if your going for the 6BT now thats a different anilmal.

The automatic is a better choice if your going Cummins as both the 4BT and the 6BT tend to chew up standards and spit them out the back. Their also rear end killers. Maybe an Eaton rear and an old "rock crusher" 4 speed might hold up but any of the new stuff gives troubles. Any of the newer automatics and your going to have to go with a standalone tranny controller (big bucks) or a reflash of a PCM to disable all engine controls except TPS. You will also have to rig up an electronic tachometer with an output suitable to the chosen PCM.

Don't worry about emissions. All the conversions I have done here in Ontario, I just walked into the local license bureau and re-registered the vehicle as a diesel. No fuss, no muss. Etest is merely a visual (if it don't smoke your good to go).

Bill

Well, an E tranny is not an issue. I just installed a 4L60E in my Grandfather's '71 Chev pick up, so I'm familar with them and the PCMs. ;)

If I'm going through the work it's getting a stick. I hate the fact that it's an auto right now, but for the price of the truck I couldn't complain and the only reason I didn't convert it to a stick at the time, since I had to replace the tranny anyway, was because this is my first Dodge, and am not entirely familiar with what PCM work would have been needed, and just needed to get the truck together and running. It would have also been easier to sell the truck as an auto than a converted manual, if it turned out I didn't like it. ;)

I'd likely also convert it to 4WD and solid front axle as well, actually I'm thinking about do that anyway.

If that's all that's needed, then a diesel is looking even more possible. :D

Carb and Points!

It would have also been easier to sell the truck as an auto than a converted manual, if it turned out I didn't like it. ;)

I'd likely also convert it to 4WD and solid front axle as well, actually I'm thinking about do that anyway.

If that's all that's needed, then a diesel is looking even more possible. :D
    If you intend on going 4X4, would it not make more sense to sell the truck and get one already setup for 4 wheeling? Know very little about Dodge stuff but I do know the GM trucks are a completely different animal when you compare 2 and 4 wheel drive. Even different front cross members and suspension. Would make a conversion a real issue.

Used to have a stick in everything I owned but as I get older, rowing through the gears gets old really fast, especially in traffic. As far as 4 wheeling is concerned, never saw the reason for it except if you were using it off-road, farm/construction use or as a snowplow. 2 wheel drive handles and rides so much better.

Different strokes I guess. Good luck on your project and let me know if I can help.

Bill

I've owned 5 vehicles that were automatic, I've converted two of them to stick, and had parts to convert another one, but never got around to it. I much prefer to row my gears. For the rare times that automatic sees like a good idea, like in heavy traffic, I can deal with stick, I did for years.

The '05+ Dakota frames and even front suspensions are the same between 2WD and 4WD, the only things missing on the 2WD are the transfer case, front diff and axles. The problem is though, that it uses an IFS, and anything more than stock height seems to tear up CV joints. SAS is preferred for extreme lifts like I would want to. It's just rare that people do it, because it's all custom parts.

If this happens, it won't be for a while, I have a few other projects in line first, but this is something that I have always wanted to do. I have wanted a diesel truck for a long time, I just don't want the full size truck that they usually come in.

Selecting the engine will be the next step. I measured the diesel that comes in the full size ram and it seems to long to make the swap easy.

Any pics or write ups of the conversions you've done?

The 4BT is a favorite in Scout II diesel conversions as well.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-