Thread: It's running but dont really know why???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

16196395 w/High Z Injectors - It's running but dont really know why???

I will make a long story bearable.... I have a Corvair (6 Cyl horizontal) w/ 2 TBI-700 (Approx 27 lbs per hour each @ 12 PSI), DIS running on a 16196395 OD mask and runs really well. I have tried to tweak the system a few times, but pretty much I got it where I want it. I have to use an off-set to make the computer run the DIS, but it also works without a hitch. Now..... I want to change the system to a center mounted Throttle body with a turbo tube that has the bungs welded close to intake pads and pretty much replaces the TBIs at the ports. Got everything plumbed up, wired, etc. Figured since the current EFI runs well and the new EFI uses about the exact same injectors (lbs per hour), everything should work with just some tweaking. Pic is attached so you kinda see where Im going on this.

To make the engine run, I have to move the TBI lbs per hour from 50 to 18 to get enough fuel into the system to make it run. I have been driving it around, but I don't want to start making fuel adjustments if something else is going on and end up changing it. I don't understand why 2 - 30 lbs injectors at 39 PSI does not put our as much as 2 - 27 lbs injectors at 12 PSI. Something tells me its more to do with pulse-width using the high-z injector and that is why lowering the TBI lbs per hour keeps the injectors open longer when gives me pretty close to the right amount of fuel.

Last time I tried CPI mode, but as I remember, it gave even less fuel and really ran bad on the upper end. Currently its in TBI mode and again, runs pretty good, but having to move it to 18lbs per hour to get enough fuel in it to run has got me.

So I'm calling on the EFI gods to tell me what is realty going on here?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by corvairnut; 06-06-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Deleted Paraphasing error - sorry Mark
    Ted Brown
    Anderson, SC
    68 Corvair EFI
    61 Corvair Loadside Pickup (Future EFI)