Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: converting a Chrysler 383 big block to GM injection

Re: converting a Chrysler 383 big block to GM injection

You can use any cable driven throttle body.

You can also use DIS, but it is a bit involved to set-up.

I would first get the engine running on a dizzy, then swap to the DIS, just due to some of the code changes and mechanicals that are needed.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!

Yeah, that's what I thought I'd do.....I got a quote on the megasquirt stuff, and It's a little (a lot for now on my budget) more than I want to spend at the moment, so, so far this is my most viable option.....anybody done business with a-1 cardone? I found a couple 7749 ECMs (refurbed) for around 80 bucks, then I still have to dig a harness out of one of the cars, but, one thing at a time.... ;)

You know somewhere I read you can do DIS with a 7747 but it's no better timing than a distributor.

LS has cable and Drive By Wire.

Your just trying to combine several systems and it can probably be done... but mans that a lot of re inventing the wheel...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!

please don't mistake this for arguing, but, what should I do differently to make a good mpfi system for this engine, the only reason I was thinking an ls throttle body was they are pretty easy to find....if there's a better/cheaper option, I'm all ears....I haven't figured out for sure what injectors I'll be using yet either, I figured I'd try to buy a set of those new...just to be safe...but if there is a reliable option otherwise, i'm open to that too, I really don't want to make this extremely complicated, I just really want it to be mpfi rather than tbi for ease of turbo charging down the road....

Well first there is not a MPFI intake made for your engine. So that is expensive and complicated.

TBI will do all your engine needs.

Turbo is a story one of the other guys will have to inform you on. But first you would have to build another engine with forged pistons and turbo cam (probably not made for that engine either) and hope the head gaskets hold up. Theres a guy on Pirate that built a turbo IH engine and did not get 100 miles and blew a head gasket. It's all for sale... and I know for a fact the IH engine is stronger than a Mopar.
    http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/show ... hp?t=16404

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!

Yes, I do know that I'll have to build the motor with good forged pistons, rods and crank.....at the moment, as it sits, it needs rebuilt anyway, so, I'd build a good foundation to start, but, the more digging I do, the more I think I'm going to by a 5.9 magnum complete.....I'll be time ahead at least...

Since I just rebuilt an international engine, properly but no added expences and it cost $1800. parts, $800. in machine work and at least another $200 in incedentals... then my time, shop and tools? I would say it would be cheaper to buy a newer motor, trans and get the harness and ECM. Is cheaper and easier.

And I haven't even injected it yet? got 90% of parts...

I priced a Complete Votec motor, trans, harness ECM, guarenteed, I think 32k miles for $1500. from Spaldings.

-= =-