Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: converting a Chrysler 383 big block to GM injection

Re: converting a Chrysler 383 big block to GM injection

Has there been a decision on the ECM that is going to be used?

Using an OBD1 ECM, could mean that a Chryco dizzy could be much the same way I used a Nissan Dizzy on my Nissan L28 for a while.

Even if an OBD2 system is going to be used, I can't see why a Chryco dizzy couldn't be slightly modified to work, without trying to swap heads of dizzys.

Remember K.I.S.S.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!

no, ecm hasn't been decided for sure, and I do want to keep it simple....but this 0411 sounds like a decent deal, and I'm a long way off, the trick is I don't have a dizzy with this motor, so I have to buy one anyway.....just trying to compile info in my head......

411 is awesome! But it is not the simple solution!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!

I suspect there isn't a simple solution.....would I be smarter to use a megasquirt system, or just a different ecm, I definitely want it to be multi-port, especially if I decide to move up to turbocharging down the road.....

There are OBD1 GM (Delco) ECMs that will run MPFI.

I currently have a 1227749 running my Turbocharged Nissan L28 (2.8L I6), without issue.

If it was me in your shoes I would look at the 1227730/1227749 family of ECMs. Many different engine configurations have been run with these ECMs, from N/A 4 cyl to turbo V8s, and anything in between.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!

so, if I'm going to start an ebay search, do i search by those numbers, or is there a list of vehicles I need to be looking for?

Electronic Ignition!

I am willing to look in to some of those ecms, wondering what vehicles to find them on. The big reason I was trying to go the LS route was because I have a friend that has the hptuners software.....but apparently, there's plenty of software out there for this type of thing.....

The 1227730 came in a lot og GM cars between 1988 and 1994. Cavaliers, Berettas, '90 to '93 F-bodies, and other cars that I can't think of right now.

The 1227749 was used in the Turbo Sunbird, Grand Am, Syclone and Typhoon, and at least some Quad 4 equipped Berettas.

The difference between a '7749 and a '7730 is one has two injector drivers ('7749), and the other has an extra Quad driver ('7730). In many applications they can be used in pace of the other without affecting the way the car runs. I haven't found which applications use the extra quad driver, though I suspect it has to do with emissions equipment.

The 1227730 (and replacements) will likely be the easier one to find of the two.

I would likely search by actual service number, you will likely come across some replacement service numbers that usually start with 1619____, as well.

I would stay away from the 1227165, because it is a MAF system, and I find them to be more difficult to tune than Speed Density. It also adds considerable cost by adding the MAF sensor, which can also affect installation ease as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadly B
    I am willing to look in to some of those ecms, wondering what vehicles to find them on. The big reason I was trying to go the LS route was because I have a friend that has the hptuners software.....but apparently, there's plenty of software out there for this type of thing.....
    TunerPro is free to try. I think $39 to buy and you get rid of the nag screen when opening. For $39. it has brought me a lot of fun. So customizable too. All the XDF and ADX are available for free. We have more here in the phot gallerey thanks to Robert then TunerPro has on their website as he would rather concentrate on TunerPro Software. And no per vehicle license fees! Buy one tunerPro and do 1000's of cars.

Hey Six Shooter! What is the differance for a injector driver and a quad driver? I know what the injector driver does...

-= =-

A Quad driver is used for controlling things like the fuel pump relay, air injection, CCP, A/C compressor clutch, shift light and other similar devices.

Thanks Six!

You know the simplest way to do a distributor is a duraspark conversion in the disrtributor, lock out advance and use an externel EST mounted on an aluminum plate.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark
    Thanks Six!

You know the simplest way to do a distributor is a duraspark conversion in the disrtributor, lock out advance and use an externel EST mounted on an aluminum plate.
    Quite like how I did in my Datsun, for the first few months I had it injected. ;)

I think I kinda described that earlier in this thread. :P

Electronic Ignition!

And I can still make use of the 8 ls coils, correct?

No I don't think so... Duraspark just gives the proper signal to the EST. When you install it you add the relector and phase it about 8 degrees advance so when the ECM adds spark it goes to the correct cylnder.

Still cap and rotor and wires.

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!

Well, that wasn't the exact answer I was looking for, but, I can live with it........am I limited, then in choice of throttle body, or can I use the ls cable driven throttle body?