Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: converting a Chrysler 383 big block to GM injection

Electronic Ignition!

converting a Chrysler 383 big block to GM injection

I have done a lot of research on transplanting ls motors in to Chevy's that didn't have them, and I'm not going to lie, If I don't have to show my face around my mopar buddies, I would seriously consider just dropping a 5.3 Chevy in this Volare wagon of mine.....but, here's my thought, a 6.0 is approximately a 370 cubic inch motor, I'm thinking of cabbaging the harness, sensors and inectors, and coils off of a 6.0 and modifying an intake to make this 383 think it's a gm......is this going to be a total pain in the rear, or more doable than I'd like to think? I know the crank trigger and the cam sensor will be fun right off the bat, but otherwise I'm thinking it could work?

Re: converting a Chrysler 383 big block to GM injection

I've done several 383 and 413 and 440 engines but used a TBI system. I also take the top half of the GM distributor and bottom half of the Mopar distributor and machine the two together so you have a fuel and spark system.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Totally do-able.

Depending on the dizzy you use, you might be able to get away with just using the GM ICM, and not need to do a bunch of machine work.

It sounds like however, you're thinking of using an OBD2 system, that would be more of a pain that you need to get into.

I use OBD1 GM systems currently without issue.

FWIW, I have a 1227749 running my Nissan 2.8L in my 1973 Datsun 240Z. I also have a 16197427 PCM running a crossfire injection manifold and 4L60E in my Grandfather's '71 Chev pick, up, a 1227730 in a friends 1967 Chev pick up running a 409 style engine with custom MPFI intake, and a few other conversions. ;)
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

As six-shooter said, depending on the distributor the OBDII system could work. One of my current projects, is converting a LS 0411 PCM to an old school chevy V8. The LS 0411 PCM needs a crank trigger and cam position sensor. GM designed the cam position sensor into the distributor. The pics below are my solution to the crank position sensor. Because I'm using a GM engine, I can use a GM distributor that has a cam position sensor.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Electronic Ignition!

so, in theory, could I machine something smaller, yet similar on the top of a 383 distributor for the cam sensor signal, if I do this, I'd prefer to run the 8 coils like the ls as well, instead of like an hei coil?

Electronic Ignition!

I just realized what I asked....oops....so, what distributor would I need from a chebbie to have the cam sensor?

There's one Caddilac EFI distributor with cam sensor that can be machined onto your distributor... or there's what Dave is making. I know MSD has a cam/Crank sensor kit as well but have never used one...

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!

Dave, I'm wondering, since most LS motors use either a 24 tooth or 58 tooth reluctor wheel, how do you make this work with (forgive me, very green) 4 teeth? I originally thought I'd just buy a crank reluctor wheel and adapt it to the front of the engine, and perhaps an msd distributor for the cam sensor signal.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chadly B
    Dave, I'm wondering, since most LS motors use either a 24 tooth or 58 tooth reluctor wheel, how do you make this work with (forgive me, very green) 4 teeth? I originally thought I'd just buy a crank reluctor wheel and adapt it to the front of the engine, and perhaps an msd distributor for the cam sensor signal.....
    GM used the 4 tooth Vortec reluctor wheel and the '0411 PCM on the 2001 ~ 2002 Express Van 5.7 liter Vortec engine. The Express Van used the L31 5.7 liter Vortec distributor with the cam position sensor in the distributor. The Express Van .bin file could be modified for the Chrysler 383.

dave w

Electronic Ignition!

Very cool, can the dizzy be modded to work with the 383 as well? I'm guessing mate the top of the L31 dizzy on to the 383 dizzy.....I'm feeling more comfy with this all the time.....

Very cool, can the dizzy be modded to work with the 383 as well? I'm guessing mate the top of the L31 dizzy on to the 383 dizzy.....I'm feeling more comfy with this all the time.....
    Maybe an aftermarket distributor (about $60) could be made to work? The factory distributors are made of a plastic kind of material.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look at the FAQ for Marlo who does the machine work for the distributors I started about ten years ago if you need a machinist.

One problem I see with that distributor that Dave is mentioning is it looks very large circufirence. The first hybrid distributor I did for a 383/413/440 Mopar was to short and it was a small car EFI and hit the head when we dropped it in. Next one was an inch higher. So double check your clearence before deciding on a height!

-= =-

Electronic Ignition!

So, if I just went the msd route, would I be ok?

MSD 6 has a tach output that is the proper square wave signal needed by the ECM without buring it up. But this makes it a fuel only system, no ECM spark curve.

-= =-

So, if I just went the msd route, would I be ok?
    If your still planning on the LS computer? If MSD distributor, offers a 1x cam position sensor for the distributor? The GM disitributor is 1x, but the reluctor plate is split 175 / 185 degrees. The extra 5 degree split might be for the "Crank Position Learn"?

dave w