Thread: Old school: Complete DIY-EFI and GMECM mail archives have been restored

Old school: Complete DIY-EFI and GMECM mail archives have been restored

I was recently moving the diy-efi.org site to a new server home, and I discovered the long-lost mail archives for both the DIY-EFI and GMECM mailing lists! It's a treasure trove of old-school EFI information reaching back to 1994. If interested, you can view the archives here:

http://lists.diy-efi.org/pipermail/diy_efi/
    http://lists.diy-efi.org/pipermail/gmecm/

Enjoy!

--Brian

Super Moderator
    i blew through the GMECM list from the beginning to late 2000... it's amazing how quickly everybody dug in and started getting involved in some of the stuff that's still around today.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Administrator
    Thanks, Brian.

Those archives have been available for years but the links were broken when the archives were changed to html. I'd have to us Google to get to a post, then back up by thread, then back up again by manually typing in the address I needed.

Actually, I thought I'd mentioned that to you.

I may have some of the missing archives around 03-04. I'll take a look and see...
    Last edited by 1project2many; 05-31-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks Brian!

There were some pretty sharp guys getting involved in this back then that have led the way for what we do today. Names like
    Lydon at Westers Garage
    Paul Blackmore of EFI Live
    Rober Rausher of Dynamic EBL
    many more...

Although the most intresting thread I found there from 1980? Lyndon and Programmer! Before EFI? Pretty sure that's a glitch in dates!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Although the most intresting thread I found there from 1980? Lyndon and Programmer! Before EFI? Pretty sure that's a glitch in dates!
    Haha! I just saw that one...yeah, I'm sure it's a unix thing :) Came across Mansur's name...didn't he go on to write TunerPro...?

1project2many: Yes, you're correct, they weren't technically "lost", but as you pointed out the links were fubar'd. I am working on a search engine that can be used to search the archives to make them a bit more useful. And yes, if you have missing archives please send them my way (text format is best).

--Brian

Administrator
    I remember those posts. I probably still remember why his pc's date was wrong. Err... I probably still don't remember.

And yes, if you have missing archives please send them my way (text format is best).
    I have a pile of messages saved until July 2003. After that I may have unsubbed or subbed using a web based email client. They're saved in text format but as Netscape / Mozilla email records. I believe I can sort them into a separate mailbox then copy the mailbox record as a text file... It's been a few years since I've played with this.

I might have something else, too, from when Steve Ravet was first working on making an archive search engine. I'll dig around.

Some interesting history...

Around 2001 or so people were switching from primarily text based email with occasional attachments to HTML based email. These would come through the diy-efi mailer daemon as an HTML attachment or a little text with with large amounts of non-text data included. The archives were automatically stored as text at the end of each month and they were getting clogged with garbage. So a few of us got together and worked hard to trim out any non-text portions of the messages including HTML attachments. I actually wrote the program that did most of the work but it wasn't very smart so the volunteers would sanity check the program's output then if necessary feed it back through or perform a manual edit. Overall they came out pretty well but I seem to remember it taking a couple of months from start to finish. If Jay Vessels is still around over there you might want to send him a Thank you note. I seem to remember him putting a lot of time into cleaning everything up.
    Last edited by 1project2many; 06-02-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Around 2001 or so people were switching from primarily text based email with occasional attachments to HTML based email. These would come through the diy-efi mailer daemon as an HTML attachment or a little text with with large amounts of non-text data included. The archives were automatically stored as text at the end of each month and they were getting clogged with garbage. So a few of us got together and worked hard to trim out any non-text portions of the messages including HTML attachments.
    Wow, that *is* old-school. I just let mailman do all the work now :)