Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1997 K1500 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor?

1997 K1500 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor?

I'm wondering if the the PCM controls the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor on a 1997 K1500?

Thanks,

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

P0452 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input
    P0453 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor High Input

Are both listed in 1997 Vortec cal and both unchecked for no reporting.

I think P codes are from PCM, then there's B codes which are Body Control Module, and C codes which are ABS/Suspension... there's a pattern but some codes overlap like these Fuel Sender is in B and Fuel Tank Pressure in B on later vehicles...

Then U codes is missing data stuff.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

That has me thinking, I need to find the published technical material to figure out if the fuel tank pressure sensor is an input / output to the Evaporative Emission Purge Valve (which is controlled by the PCM). I'm thinking most likely an input, but where? The fuel tank is from a single tank system, so is the fuel tank pressure system used by the fuel pump balance system? The vehicle is a daily driver, that has to pass emissions, so I need to get my homework done correctly.

dave w

Super Moderator
    so..... are you looking for wiring diagrams, or just how it functions?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

and what is needed to pass in Wa? Is it a plug in OBDII test?

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    That has me thinking, I need to find the published technical material to figure out if the fuel tank pressure sensor is an input / output to the Evaporative Emission Purge Valve (which is controlled by the PCM). I'm thinking most likely an input, but where? The fuel tank is from a single tank system, so is the fuel tank pressure system used by the fuel pump balance system? The vehicle is a daily driver, that has to pass emissions, so I need to get my homework done correctly.

dave w
    I'm just not sure? Even single tanks have the pressure, although I don't know what code my kid used to find them all the time when he worked at Oriellys. Loose gas cap after fill up will cause it.

-= =-

This will be helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    A B and C error reporting are for how the error is reported. Type A turns on the light at the first error. Type B waits until a second failure is seen. Type C only reports the problem if you check with a scan tool. A code can still be stored but the check engine light won't turn on. If you uncheck the box then it won't run the test. This means the OBDII monitor won't set and dependent tests won't run either. For example, if you don't run the secondary O2 tests then the cat converter test won't run. If you select "no error reporting" the test runs and passes instantly... readiness monitors show "ready" and dependent tests run. In places where you have to do the OBDII plugin emissions test you're better off with "no error reporting." If you know the system isn't on your vehicle and there's no side effect to unchecking the box, go ahead and remove the check.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
    so..... are you looking for wiring diagrams, or just how it functions?
    I'm some what new to OBDII fuel tank emission requirements, so I'm wondering what the theory of operation is fuel tank pressure sensor... what does it input / output to (PCM controlled), is what I'm wanting to figure out. I can find the wiring schematics.

dave w

NM. much better explanation Robert.
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 05-26-2013 at 06:27 AM.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Super Moderator
    from a very condensed point of view:

normally, the PCM allows the engine vacuum that would normally draw fumes from the CCP and allow the tank to vent as necessary. it also controls a solenoid that prevents the tank from venting vacuum. so the solenoid is switched when the engine is creating vacuum, causing a vacuum to exist in the tank. the tank pressure/vacuum sensor is read to determine if there is enough vacuum to consider it a pass. this tests a couple of things at once, mostly CCP and fuel tank integrity.

i might be able to grab a better explanation, but that's essentially how it all works.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Banned
    This is for 1996 and 1997 ONLY!

Evaporative Emission Control System

Purpose
    The Evaporative Emission (EVAP) control system limits the fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP transfers the fuel vapor from the sealed fuel tank to an activated carbon (charcoal) storage device (EVAP canister). The EVAP canister stores the vapors until the engine is able to use the extra fuel vapor.
    When the engine is able to use the extra fuel vapor, the intake air flow purges the fuel vapor from the carbon element, and then the normal combustion process consumes the fuel vapor.
    The fuel tank is sealed with a fuel cap that is not normally vented to atmosphere. The fuel tank cap has a safety valve which allows for both pressure and vacuum relief.
    Operation
    Fuel vapors from the fuel tank purge and flow into the EVAP canister tube labeled Tank and the carbon absorbs the vapors. The canister purges when the engine is able to use extra fuel vapor. A vacuum source is applied to the EVAP canister tube labeled Purge to draw fresh air through the top of the canister. The air mixes with the fuel vapor and the mixture is drawn in the intake manifold to be consumed in the normal combustion process.
    While the canister is purging, fresh air is drawn in through the air inlet at the top of the canister. Air flows to the bottom of the canister and forces the vapors out the Purge tube.
    The EVAP system in some applications uses an electrically controlled solenoid to cycle the vacuum to the purge canister. The control module cycles the solenoid when the engine coolant temperature is greater than 45°C or the Short Term Fuel Trim counter is less than 122.

A vacuum switch in the purge line detects when the system is purging. The normally closed switch will open when less than 1 inch Hg is present in the purge line.

EVAP Canister Location
    The canister is located in the left front fender well.
    Last edited by Caleditor; 09-28-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Banned
    1998 on up use FTP Sensors

Hey Dave I posted the Schematics for you

Quote Originally Posted by Caleditor View Post
    1998 on up use FTP Sensors

Hey Dave I posted the Schematics for you
    Thanks, for posting the wiring diagrams! http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...9545#post29545
    Seems like I can't find the wiring schematic for the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor show in post #1.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    Thanks, for posting the wiring diagrams! http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...9545#post29545
    Seems like I can't find the wiring schematic for the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor show in post #1.

dave w
    It was not used in 1997

Fuel Injected!
    It was not used in 1997
    I have a 97 Express 1500 and can confirm no FTP sensor in my application and can also confirm with the sensor codes turned off I still get the monitor to show "Ready" status.

It was not used in 1997
    Maybe California Emissions for 1997? The vehicle owner lives in Oregon. Very common to find California emission vehicles in Oregon.

dave w