Thread: egr

Fuel Injected!

egr

hy, when you disable the egr valve do you need to add the egr added spark to the main spark table at about where the egr comes on? for some reason I get better mileage with the egr employed.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    for some reason I get better mileage with the egr employed.
    it's not a coincidence. EGR does a couple of things that will benefit fuel economy including forcing you to hold the throttle open futher to maintain the same power output, reducing pumping/throtte losses.

if you completely remove EGR and add EGR spark to the main spark table, expect to run into knock often. the reason you can run more advance when EGR is active is due to EGR gasses slowing down the speed of combustion(so sparking earlier won't cause such detrimental increases in pressure too early in the compresson/power stroke cycles).
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    thanks Robert, I couldn't figure out why I got less mpg with the egr off, my blms have dropped down a lot I thought it was the egr opening it wasn't. I think it must be where they have changed to a summer time gasoline blend, or I have something going bad that has not showed up yet exept the mileage has went down a little like my blms.

Fuel Injected!
    hy, I was having trouble on a hot restart with my old truck jerking as I would go across parking lots, I cut the % of the egr to 95 % at 1000-1400 rpms it helped a lot an the egr is still employed, wish I had an ostrich sure would make it a lot easyer than burning a chip to see the changes. it made a lot of differents at low [dirt road rpms also] .