Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is my computer shot?

Please heed this one sentence.

The ECM and related electronics CAN NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE, FORM or stretch of the imagination cause the issue you describe. No way, no how.

The O2 sensor will have no effect on this, because it likely won't even be warm enough to go into closed loop in under a minute, from a cold start. If it does go into closed loop it would only be a short period of time before the engine stalls.

An injector could be held open by debris lodged in the pintle, so no, it doesn't have to be the PCM.

Limp mode is a temporary thing, and only happens when multiple sensors fail, or there is an internal problem in the PCM, but even if the PCM was in LHM, it would not, could not cause the situation you describe.

A vacuum leak from a damaged injector O-ring could not cause the situation you describe. Yes, it would cause a lower vacuum signal, though not usually enough to cause substantial changes in vacuum that would cause this much fuel to be injected, which physically can not happen with properly functioning injectors. A low vacuum will cause the PCM to think that the engine is under more load than it is, and inject more fuel, but it won't re-route the fuel to the throttle body area.

Knock sensor only effects spark timing, at least in the slightly older ECMs, but I would suspect yours to be the same.

Oil pressure sensor only control fuel pump relay and the gauge or light in the gauge cluster.

Coolant sensor can effect fueling, but again, not by the amount or cause the situation you describe.

Does it back fire at all?

The only thing that has come to mind is if there is such a blockage in the exhaust system that the only way for the exhaust to go is back up the intake, which could very well cause the fuel to be forced back up the intake runners. After that happens the throttle body area is lower than the plenum, so the fuel would flow down to there. It would only run for a short period of time as well.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

What he said ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by volkerc View Post
    if the egr is not supposed to open at idle, then again, something is telling the engine to do stupid things. i pulled the egr, and it had gas in the mounting area.
    EGR is not supposed to open at idle, it happens all the time with a faulty EGR valve, but never has a PCM caused it.

How gas/fluid is in mounting area of EGR is the biggest clue we have and still points to a mechanical issue.

I know your frustrated by no data, we are a data type forum. But when you get data it can not tell why you have fuel in your EGR valve... it will only give data from the sensors and error codes because the sensors did not pass a test.

You don't even have a CEL on? So how bad can data be?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Well, the good news, got the cable to work. The bad news, still getting funky numbers. The baud rate is now set to 8192 on the chip....

Super Moderator
    how have you verified that the cable is functional? plugged it into the 91 buick to test?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    hmm, no. never thought about that. lol. another thing i can try. i went to the silabs forums got another tool to program the baud rate. set it to 8192. tunerpro says da connected. checked that it finds the serial cable, found it. cause i still got the funky numbers i started efi live and the cable checked there. got a green status in macros when hitting looking for chatter. but because of no definition file, can't connect the program to the ecu i guess.

Fuel Injected!
    This is becoming more and more frustrating.
    So the programs say, they find the cable. Both, Tunerpro and EFILive. None will establish a connection to the ecu's.
    So I hooked it up to the Buick, says can't find cable. Because of all the aggravation I bought another item:
    http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/9...ol-Schwarz-0-m
    This piece has the desired chip, so I soldered the datacable and ground to that piece, and again, no connection. The drivers from ftdi only show a rate of 4096 but not 8192. The silab chip is set to 8192. I'm close to setting the car on fire.
    Instead of getting the car fixed, I'm now fumbling with a cable.
    Last edited by volkerc; 05-25-2013 at 01:00 AM.

You can't detect the cable with it attached to the car. This will result in a failure nearly every time.

Have you set the preferences correctly?

Have you found the mechanical problem with the car yet?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    You can't detect the cable with it attached to the car. This will result in a failure nearly every time.

Have you set the preferences correctly?

Have you found the mechanical problem with the car yet?
    In order to find the problem on the car I first need to rule out the electronic side of it.
    As I said before I'm not replacing all sensors and parts to waste more money for nothing.
    I believe I set the prferences, unless you can point to a guideline that I can compare it with?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I dont remember you saying, can you keep it running with heavy throttle??

Could the converter be extremely restricted?

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by black dawg View Post
    I dont remember you saying, can you keep it running with heavy throttle??

Could the converter be extremely restricted?
    Yes I was able to keep it running with heavy throttle/higher rpms. However, didn't have time to reply earlier, cause of lots of work, and the car getting prepped for paint as well. The car now stays running. What did I do? The most desperate attempt trying to fix the situation,... pulled the fuel injectors and replaced the o-rings with thicker, new ones, and that seemed to have solved the problem. Car stays running, solid idle. Did throw me a sel after the repair, but that was due to a hose that came off from the pcv valve. once attaced the idle dropped to where it should be light came off. I also found that the vapor canister was cracked all around where the metal attachment strap surrounded it, so a replacement is on it's way as well.
    Still, haven't been successful to get data from the computer... :-(